1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Midnight Launch?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by AlpsStranger, Jul 6, 2013.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

If your Steam is telling you that, then yes, you will, it will unlock in European time.

2. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Then why does it say this:

3. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

That means it will unlock at midnight EST tomorrow.

4. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

And 9PM PST tomorrow :dance:

5. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Will there be a few livestreams on the webs when i wake up tomorrow. Unfair that Europeans have to wait 4 days and pay more for the same game.

6. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Unfair, yes, but much of the global economy is unfair to many people. We allow corporations to dictate to us by buying their products and allowing their lobbyists to influence our lawmakers. In the end, we as consumers and voters are collectively accepting unfair practices that are not in our best interests. I'd say the same thing if I were living where you do. I happen to be one of the lucky ones, but on the other hand, the daily quality of life where you live may be superior to where I live.

7. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Yeah, not sure you're going to find "fair" any time in this lifetime. If it wasn't the global economy it would be something else.

Feel free to let that go in one ear and out the other and expect different, though. I'm counting on it. :D

8. Monthar

Monthar Deity

The only reason is because the gaming industry follows he same release dates as the movie industry uses for videos. That's Tuesdays in North America and Fridays pretty much everywhere else. Also, it's not a 4 day difference it's almost a 3 day difference. It's at midnight Tuesday EDT, which happens to be 11pm Monday CDT where I live. The European launch sounds likes it's midnight Friday GMT, which would be Thursday 11pm in the GMT-1 timezone. In other words, it's actually a 2 day 19 hour difference because EDT is GMT-5.

9. Monthar

Monthar Deity

It doesn't matter where you are, your Steam account it linked to your home address, thus you'll get it when the launch is for where your home is. All you need to to is make sure you have a stable internet connection from the time of the launch until the download is complete. When in doubt, always go by whatever time Steam says it will become available. So if it say the 8th and you bought the laptop in Minneapolis then your home town is probably also in CDT, since I doubt you'd drive that far to buy it. That means you'll get it at 11pm CDT on the 8th just as I will since I'm in Texas, which is the same timezone your home is. As of the time of this post that's in 1 day 4 hours 44 minutes.

You could be vacationing on Mars and still get it on the US launch date, as long as you had an internet connection. Of course, from Mars there would be a huge lag in the connection. ;)

Also, it doesn't matter where you bought the laptop.

10. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

As an European who has to wait 3 more days, I hate you all!

11. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

For a second I was going to complain about getting it at midnight. I may not be British Columbian, but at least I'm North American!

12. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I do have to complain about getting it at 11pm (CST), I wont be able to play until after work the next day..:cry:......hahaha jk, I'm staying up and risking being sleepy and/or late to work :cool:

13. rastak

rastak Emperor

I'm one of those morons that actually took vacation based on the release date.

:)

14. kingchris20

Yeah, unfortunately I couldn't argggghhh all my deadlines are between the 8th and the 15th this month, but I still tried to get off :lol:........failed, but I tried

15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Im terribly annoyed that Firaxis thinks that Mexico is in not in North America.

16. MadMage86

MadMage86 Warlord

I'm curious why they would push this back to AFTER the 4th of July weekend; would it not have made more sense to release it before the weekend?

17. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

It gives them more time to fine-tune everything, build up more pre-order sales, and amp up the suspense for the game. If you have to wait longer, you'll probably appreciate it more when you finally have it.

18. kingchris20

yeah, also, like many businesses in the US, it was a 3 day work week, most gave Thursday and Friday off for the holiday...........also, (I mean I don't) but a lot of the customer base may be traveling over a holiday weekend

just a couple of thoughts

19. Monthar

Monthar Deity

It was probably so their staff could take time off for the holiday and enjoy themselves without having to worry about any possible launch problems. After all no launch goes off without a hitch. If they had launched before the holiday, odds are they would have had to work the holiday to rush out a hotfix patch, deal with corrupted downloads or any number of other issues that might prevent customers from playing.

20. theadder

theadder Prince

There are always problems at launch with any game so this makes a lot of sense.

It could just be a coincidence though and this happened to be when it was ready.