1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Were you going to attempt a Horse Javelineer Toad? I imagine it would involve taking the Skirmisher animations and having the rider on horseback no?

2. Sword_Of_Geddon

I think you did something like that before with a canoe based archer unit come to think of it.

3. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Uhgg.jpg
    Sorry, I ran out of steam. I hadn't even played the game for 6 months, and the last few units kicked my ass. So, I've been doing RL things, and played a couple games with new units.
    This is where I left off on the myceneaen unit. Looks terrible and I lost interest. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up. Not doing the javelineer horseman ATM.

Actually, I think Kathy did a Canoe archer. I certainly haven't. None of the ships actually have "people" on them. So, I wouldn't bother starting now.

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Whatever project you enjoy is the one you should be doing I think. I figure the lighter Mycenaens would be pretty fun to make, the Pre-hoplite spearmen for example. If your not feeling it with a project its much better to move to something you are excited about anyway. I said that to Purple(FYI his ancient NOD Spearman is coming along nicely). He decided to move away from team flag art on the shield in favor of a pre-designed texture as he was unsatisfied with the team flag look on the shield(Normal NOD symbol didn't fit the spearman). Time and a place for everything I supposed.

As for me I've added all your Egyptian and Mesoamerican ships to my mod, I also added in the Civ5 Quinrereme and solved what I wanted to do with the heavy ship line.

I think there are a few units that come to mind that can end up as the Mycenaen Heavy Spearman, with a helmut and color change maybe. I'll look into it.

Enjoy your mod and hope to see creations that are labors of love from you and not something that feels like a chore.

5. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Confound you Dendra Panoply! You are nothing but a clunky bronze tutu!

Thank you again MightyToad for the fun and joy you bring to this forum, not to mention your consistently outstanding and prolific artwork :king:

Checking in to this thread every day over the past several months has kept me reasonably sane, I really cannot overstate how essential of an outlet this has been for me.

So thank you for hosting us. You are as chill as they come :cool: You've been hitting it really hard and deserve some much needed R&R. Thank you for being the coolest Bufonidae I've ever known :)

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Yeah, I feel the same about this thread and Toad and his wonderful work as well.

FYI Toad and Tant I reuploaded Chiyu's Extra mod, with a new thread, if there is anything in there you could use for your own mod, whatever, its there.

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Templar Ancient Swordsman.jpg Templar Ancient Spearman.jpg Templar Future Soldier.jpg
    Ancient Swordsman, Spearman and Future Soldier

Hope you don't mind but I've been working on something on my end, nothing on your level Toad, but something nontheless. I Was inspired by Purple's Command and Conquer Nod units he has been working on, how he is trying to capture how Nod units from ancient times would look, so I decided to do something along those lines, first with the Templars:

8. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I like the Space Templar :)

9. Sword_Of_Geddon

Yeah its a cool model he is based on, Clanky converted him for me awile back. I changed the colors to red and added the templar symbol. I have some pictures/concept art of modern templar that are cool.

The model fires lasers. I use it for Laser Troopers in my mod.

10. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Reminds me of the show Andromeda. It had many great potentials but most of them missed.
    But the Knights of Genetic Purity was cool IMO.

11. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thinking about Templar Hussar(Renaissance Sword Cavalry/Lance) as well as later 18th century Musketmen and 19th century Riflemen.

Andromeda I barely remember, so I can't judge either way

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

After Templars I plan on doing some Medieval Spartans. Anyone have any ideas?

And Toad I hope its ok if I borrow your thread for alittle bit.

13. Sword_Of_Geddon

SpartanMedievalSwordsman.jpg

First up, Spartan Medieval Swordsman:

Based on Bakuel's Byzantine Swordsman. I figured the Byzantines were Greek so maybe just maybe they might have something like this.

SpartanLegionary.jpg

SpartanLegionary2.jpg

Spartan Legionaries, Top, with cape and rectangular shield, bottom, octagonal shield, no cape.

I figure even if Rome didn't grow into the all encompassing empire it became, the tactic of the Legion would spread, and I imagine the Spartans would be very very good at using it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  14. BossDaddy

BossDaddy Warlord

Hope you get some rest Toad. I don't think I've played a game since about November myself. You've done amazing work. I think it's incredible how you are able to bounce from Sci Fi to antiquity. I've very much enjoyed checking this thread.

Sword, I really like those units. If they look this nice in the screens then I imagine they look awesome in-game. The only suggestion I would make is for the Spartan Medieval Swordsman's helmet. It seems a little big to me. I think everything else looks cool. The future soldier looks like Master Chief from Halo to me. Now you need to make a Civ 4 Halo mod.

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

SpartanKnight.jpg

Spartan Knight

SpartanLightCavalry.jpg

Spartan Early Medieval Light Cavalry

SpartanCataphract.jpg

Spartan Early Medieval Heavy Cavalry/Cataphract

Thankyou for your kind words Bossdaddy. FYI The helm on the Medieval Swordsman looks big because of the angle of the preview. Keep in mind also I didn't make the helm its Bakuel's Byzantine Swordsman, with some light reskinning.

Here we have some Cavalry for Medieval Sparta. A lighter unarmored one, a heavier cavalry/Cataphract, and the Spartan Knight from the later/High Middle Ages.

And yeah I hope you enjoy the game, and when your creative muse returns, create what you enjoy. In the meantime I wanted to contribute things I normally only keep to myself, with you and the rest of the community.

BossDaddy likes this.
  16. Sword_Of_Geddon

I'm planning on doing the Pre-Hoplite Mycenean Spearman, probably a couple of them, that my modest skills are capable of. Stay tuned.

17. Sword_Of_Geddon

18. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I always play as Americans. I have played a few games with the "EarthEvolution3" map script with historical starting locations. Mostly so I don't have to spend an hour pregame placing all the Civs in the historical locations.
    Anyway, I'm tired of looking at Sitting Bulls sour face. And, he is an anvil. A real PITA to get rid of. So, I added Sabotleihs Cockacoeske LH. I adore these cute girl LHs. I can't bring myself to kill them. Same for Boudica, Lizzy, and Hatshepsut. There is always Monty to kill anyway.
    Cockacoeske.jpg
    Alright, on with the post. I've had this UU scout that can build roads, and forts. But, no actual animations for that. I added chop, build, and road animations for scouts. The worker and scout units are mutually swappable in nifskope. So, that part was painless. But several of the flavor versions (Asian, middle east, greco roman) required re-rigging in blender. I've included everything you should need to add them to your mod.
    Scout_Worker.jpg
    I've started a new game. From what I can tell the AI are NOT using them to build anything. So, that's unfortunate. I however am. I mostly use them to build roads to future settlement sites. Then, when the settlers are ready they can haul ass over there before someone beats me to it. I also gave them the ability to chop forests/jungle, build forts, and build camp.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/scout-worker.28965/

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    hrochland and tantanmen like this.
  19. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

Looks pretty impressive to me. My father also only plays the Americans, but Idk why. I like variety myself though.

I'm not dead everyone. I've just been trying to get a job and only recently succeeded. I'll be working at night for 10 hours straight at a warehouse.

MightyToad, I made most of the Kiribati Spearman. :) I didn't know how to fix the pants though... :/ If you have time and want to, it is mostly ready for you. I remember lots of other people wanted to see it, I think

Attached Files:

Sword_Of_Geddon and tantanmen like this.
  20. Sword_Of_Geddon

Hey good to see you guys Mightytoad and Matsuda. I'm all about variety as well. I enjoy playing and seeing the different cultures units and citystyles. I enjoy making new civs, which I've tried to make more unique than in a standard Civ4 approach.

FYI Matsuda you should work with Hrochland some more and get that Tibetan cityset finished when you get the chance. You just need textures for it right?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021