[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

In my ww2 mod, i made artillery immobile. Engineer units build an improvement a bit similar to the base of your unit (something asymmetric) that spawns an immobile artillery gun. The gun rotates, but not the structure.
That was the reason of my question. But in your case i guess it won't fit.

i always wondered what would happen if domain_immobile stuff, say, located in a culture-flipped city would disappear or relocate?

Hey MightyToad, if you're still here, I made a new unit, if you're interested. If not that's ok and I understand. :)

A question to all the experts here.
Spoiler Unit picture :

Say, I have something like this unit. It's designed to be a static emplaced artillery. Generally, I'm quite satisfied with the way it works, but in an ideal world, the base of the unit would not rotate to face the enemy, just the cannon. I found no way to do this - even if it is not animated at all, the mesh still rotates to face the attack direction. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could keep the base always facing one way and never rotating?
Did you ever find a solution to this question?

A question to all the experts here.
Spoiler Unit picture :

Say, I have something like this unit. It's designed to be a static emplaced artillery. Generally, I'm quite satisfied with the way it works, but in an ideal world, the base of the unit would not rotate to face the enemy, just the cannon. I found no way to do this - even if it is not animated at all, the mesh still rotates to face the attack direction. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could keep the base always facing one way and never rotating?
You could theoretically split the graphic into two parts:
1) Unit (that rotates into firing direction) <--- Cannon
2) Improvement (that does not rotate) <--- Base

Then you could write a PythonScript that checks if the Unit e.g. is fortified.
If yes, then you could place the Improvement below it.

Summary:
It would require a mixture of Unit+Improvement and a PythonScript.
Quite a lot of effort, but it should be possible if you really want to implement this. :dunno:

Can one place an improvement in a city?
It is possible by modifying the DLL code that checks if a Plot can have Improvements.
(But otherwise no.)

It is this method:
bool CvPlot::canHaveImprovement

In the check for a city on the plot you would need to code a check for the ImprovementType:
(Do not remove that city check, it would cause all kind of strange behaviours.)

This check
Code:
    if (isCity())
    {
        return false;
    }

Would need to become something like this here:
Code:
    if (isCity() && eImprovement != eImprovementTypeOfYourNewImprovement)
    {
        return false;
    }

-----

Everything is possible, if you really want to have it.
It simply depends if you think it is worth investing your effort for this. :dunno:

Have you considered making the base circular and giving it a monotone texture like concrete or something. This might allow it to rotate without appearing to.

The problem is, the base of all units inevitably turns to face the enemy, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

An improvement in a city is essentially a building. Similar graphics can be used for both. If you’re wanting a turret type graphic within a city that will turn to target, then you’re probably best off using a dedicated unit, which can’t leave the city. If the base of your unit is symmetrically round, will it be noticeable that it’s all turning?

Happy Holidays MT! Hope you're doing well. Thanks for two of the best years of my virtual life. We love you and miss you and we'll try to be better behaved if we can ever convince you to come back. Sincerely yours, ttm:rudolf:

Top Bottom