[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Ah I see. I mainly ask because I'm thinking of making some units from the show. I've always wanted a real Avatar scenario for CIV IV, so that's would be awesome. And a number of the units are fairly basic and have no powers, so they could be used in regular CIV too. :)

Well let me know what you got. You know I'm down.
On that note if anyone manages to make a half decent air or lightning effect call me immediately. I've been trying and failing at it for the last almost year.

I've attached a sprite from Counterstrike. That game has several render modes one of which makes black alpha in game. I think you could try setting black to alpha in gimp and save as DDS. Then swap out the SDI beam texture with it. Might work IDK.

Attachments

• bendibeam.rar
    20.8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks but it turns out my memory was wrong. Apparently I've already created a lightning effect and forgotten about it. :blush: In my defense the timestamp on those files is 6 months ago. But still.

The one I was having issue with was an air blast. Like I just can't model that to save my life. And this time I checked. Speaking of which, I'd be willing to share my effects module if anyone needs it.

Idk, how do you model "air"? The closest thing I can think of is the jedi force push from KOTOR. I think it sort of looks like a fish eye lensing effect shock wave. Probably impossible to reproduce in CIV. Perhaps try using the arrow effect and replace the arrow with an opaque crescent shockwave looking thing.

I might want to use your fireballs to make a ship that launches fire bombs like the ships from game of thrones some time in the future. But, that won't be for a while.

Idk, how do you model "air"?.
My point exactly.

I might want to use your fireballs to make a ship that launches fire bombs like the ships from game of thrones some time in the future. But, that won't be for a while.
Speaking of that. If you want to make it easy on your self I have ready made KFM's for fireball wielding ships for all the major animation sets. And they are plug and play as long as you keep the skeletons for the ships unchanged. So like if you want to I can release those as well with my effects modules when you need them.

I've finished some more ship models. Download:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/moar-sailing-ships.28189/

The Mackinaw boat is an evolution of the birch bark canoe developed by the native americans of the north east. Built by european americans using their techniques and usually a schooner rig. Used initially for fur trading in the interior waterways it remained in use for centuries until replaced by motor craft.

The Pirogue, or, dugout canoe was probably the original boat. The oldest example was discovered in a bog in Denmark, and has been dated to the late mesolithic. Although, humans have probably been using similar designs for much, much longer.

The Proa, or, outrigger canoe multihull design gives it unrivaled stability and a low draft in the water. When first encountered by european explorers they were said to fly across the water. The fastest racing yachts today are multihulls.

The Catamaran counterintuitively was the first multihull vessel developed. Originally, probably, was just two logs under a raft. The stability allowed the first ocean crossing vessels in the world. The traditional crab claw sail used by polynesians rivals even the most modern sailing rig in efficiency.

The trimaran is the latest of the multihulls. I based it on warships and pirate vessel that used to raid the islands of the phillipines and tahiti in the late 18th-mid 19th century.

I love these man. Especially the Oceanic ships, there are never enough of those. Want me to do texturing on them and send them back? :) I'll get that Haida ship done this weekend too.

I love these man. Especially the Oceanic ships, there are never enough of those. Want me to do texturing on them and send them back? :) I'll get that Haida ship done this weekend too.

I think you should finish the haida ship. :mischief:
I'm not married to any of the textures, and not much of an artist really. Make em pretty.

Awesome to see some new Polynesian ships! Can I make a request for a Catamaran armed with cannons?
The catamaran has 4 cannons. I rigged it to the caravel skeleton. I think the catamaran could be scaled up with a huge battery of ship killing long guns like a SOTL.

I will work on it right now. :) I'm thinking of making a Japanese Yayoi period galley as well, later. I'll make those pretty too. :) Its really exciting stuff.

I do intend on making the What If units for Oceanic/Polynesia too, so I am intent on making their caravelle and SOTL and ironclad, all that stuff. :) If you have any suggestions on how they may look I'm interested to hear. Assume in this scenario that they spread all the way to New Zealand and parts of Australia.

I was thinking about how a Polynesian ironclad would look. It reminded me of the battle of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sullivan's_Island

The palmetto logs absorbed the cannon shot like a sponge. The pacific islands have lots of palm trees. Perhaps they could have used palm logs in place of iron plates.

That is quite possible, and several versions could be made as well. :) The Haida ship is complete. :) Finally a Native American group has a proper What If Galley. I've got big plans for their Caravel. It's going to be beautiful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.56.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.56.40 AM.png
    465.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.56.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.56.55 AM.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 153

Thanks. :) Yeah that's what I say when I see great animation or really impressive things too. I couldn't have done it without you though. We're sure to make great stuff in the future. I have an idea for the Caravel. Going to use a totem pole for the mast holder beam. It'll be a pretty ship. Gotta think of how their cannons will look though.

Btw, @Matsuda123 your update to the haida galley didn't post. I checked and my update to my first 4 ships didn't post either. I think it's because you have to give it a version name ie 1.0, 2.0, ect. I haven't tested it yet.

Your ships have inspired me to release something that was previously for my own use only. I figured you and others might find it interesting. link

Btw, @Matsuda123 your update to the haida galley didn't post. I checked and my update to my first 4 ships didn't post either. I think it's because you have to give it a version name ie 1.0, 2.0, ect. I haven't tested it yet.

I'll try to fix that as soon ad I can. That's very odd...

I think I'd like to model a unit to add to this Mighty Ships thread. The Red Seal ship. I'll try to model one soon.

Top Bottom