Missing Civs Poll

Which of these civs do you want to return? (Choose 10)

• Assyria

Votes: 79 31.2%
  • Austria

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • Babylon

Votes: 155 61.3%
  • Byzantium

Votes: 162 64.0%
  • Carthage

Votes: 143 56.5%
  • Celts (or Gaul)

Votes: 62 24.5%
  • Denmark

Votes: 24 9.5%
  • Ethiopia

Votes: 142 56.1%
  • Hatti

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Huns

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Inca

Votes: 214 84.6%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 73 28.9%
  • Mali

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • Maya

Votes: 177 70.0%
  • Morocco

Votes: 65 25.7%
  • Ottoman Turks

Votes: 194 76.7%
  • Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori)

Votes: 102 40.3%
  • Portugal

Votes: 150 59.3%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Siam

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • Sioux

Votes: 57 22.5%
  • Songhai

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 72 28.5%
  • Venice (or Italy)

Votes: 85 33.6%

• Total voters

The Kingmaker

Alexander
At this point, we pretty much know which civs are coming in R&F. Yet there are still 20+ civs previously seen in the franchise that are still missing.

We will get at least some of them. If we're lucky and they do post-XP DLC, then we may even get many of them. But it seems very unlikely that we'll get even close to all of them, even if we do finally break the 50 civ threshold.

So, choose your top 10 civs that you'd like to see again. I've listed every civ we've seen before that's still missing, except for the three irrelevant ones (HRE, "Vikings," and the Civ4 "Native Americans" blob).

Mine are Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, Inca, Maya, Mali, Ethiopia, Celts (Gaul), the Ottomans and Assyria.

Though I'd also like to see Portugal, a two-leader Italy, a Polynesian civ like Hawaii or the Maori, and another Native American civ too.

Last edited:
Tough to choose just ten. :( I'd like to see Byzantium, Carthage, Inca, Mali, Maya, Morocco, Polynesia (or some form of them), Portugal, Siam and Venice (or Italy) as my top ten. Ideally, I'd like to see more from your list as well.

Edit: While they are not a returning Civ, I’d love to see Vietnam. Also, while it is an extreme long shot, I’d really love to see the Inuit. :)

Last edited:
oh whoops i accidentally cut the byzantines from civ 6 rip
don't even feel bad, if i wasn't looking for them they probably deserve it anyway
didn't see them in the poll because i was too busy trying to decide whether assyria, portugal, or the iroquois was my least favorite of the three (went with the latter because i'm gay for ancient/classical civs and portugal's usually more fun to play)

voted assyria, babylon, carthage, ethiopia, hittites, inca, mali, maya, ottomans, portugal

It is tough. I'd say Firaxis probably has a mandate for around 15 of these that the fans are absolutely clamoring for.

It's also clear that no one wants Denmark, the Shoshone or the Huns.

It is tough. I'd say Firaxis probably has a mandate for around 15 of these that the fans are absolutely clamoring for.

It's also clear that no one wants Denmark, the Shoshone or the Huns.

I would like all of them. Just not in the top ten, though. :D

Austria as Austria-Hungary, for me.

Definitely want Polynesia ~ Personally, that would be my first choice.

I would love to see a medieval or renaissance Denmark in Civ. Preferably under Margrete the Great or Christian IV..
You could make it a frenemy DLC pack with Sweden.

That being said my higher priorities are some of my old favourites: Ethiopia, Ottomans, Babylon, Inca, Portugal and of course I want to see a gold coast civilization in Civ VI..

I'd say there's a very clear groundswell of support right now for Assyria, Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, Ethiopia, the Inca, Mali, the Maya, the Ottoman Turks and Portugal.

So in other words, the old classics + Assyria, Babylon's underappreciated fraternal twin.

There's also relatively considerable support for Austria, Polynesia and an Italian civ.

Interesting though that Mali > Songhai. Overwhelmingly so.

I'd say there's a very clear groundswell of support right now for Assyria, Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, Ethiopia, the Inca, Mali, the Maya, the Ottoman Turks and Portugal.

So in other words, the old classics + Assyria, Babylon's underappreciated fraternal twin.

There's also relatively considerable support for Austria, Polynesia and an Italian civ.

If Assyria is Babylon's less-appreciated fraternal twin, then are the Hittites the red-headed stepchild of the family?

As a Hungarian person, I'd definitely be happy with Austria-Hungary. At least Hungary would get into the game somehow.

And yeah, 0 votes for Huns and Shoshone. Go Firaxis more tribes and obscure civs please because people love to play ones that they cannot in any way relate to.

Also Songhai seems to have been a major hit.

I imagine it's partly because of Mansa Musa, but also because people want more civs that are focused on things other than military ~ and Songhai might be more of a militaristic civ out of the two, as it was in Civ V.

Glad to see support for Polynesia! :thumbsup:

I imagine it's partly because of Mansa Musa, but also because people want more civs that are focused on things other than military ~ and Songhai might be more of a militaristic civ out of the two, as it was in Civ V.

Glad to see support for Polynesia! :thumbsup:

Mansa Musa was awesome in cIV. :thumbsup: I’d love to see him in Civ VI and make scads of $$$£££€€€¥¥¥. I want to see a fully decked out trading/economic Civ. :D

Definitely want to see a Polynesian Civ, again. Bring back atolls, as well. :)

Mansa Musa was awesome in cIV. :thumbsup: I’d love to see him in Civ VI and make scads of $$$£££€€€¥¥¥. I want to see a fully decked out trading/economic Civ. :D

Definitely want to see a Polynesian Civ, again. Bring back atolls, as well. :)
Oh yeah, piles of money! :gold::gold::gold: :D

I can't believe I forgot about atolls! Yes, we need them as well. :cool:

Byzantium- While I don’t love them nearly as much as Rome proper I do have to give East Rome some credit, longest continuous empire (even if the last 200 years could hardly be called an “empire”) is worth something.

Ethiopia- While Kongo kind of already fills the niche of “African Christian Kingdom” since it’s lead by Afonso and is likely never getting a second leader, I do think a more active African religious side would be nice. Plus the importance of Aksum to the sea-based Silk Road cannot be overstated.

Inca- What do I even have to say? I want my Great Andean Road.

Mali/Songhai- I like both of these so I voted for both, but really the game only needs one or the other. I like Songhai SLIGHTLY more but Mali would be perfectly acceptable too.

Maya- Not gonna lie, if the choice of central Mexican American civs were between the Maya and the Olmec or I’d personally prefer if the Olmec got a shot at inclusion just one game. However, since Civ VI has become so crowded with dark horses and many more... “recognizable” covs are getting screwed over I feel the more traditional choice of Maya is better for the time being.

Ottomans- #Ottomanswererobbed #CeddinDeden #Seriouslytheiromissionisadisgrace

Polynesia- This is more of a personal pick since I absolutely love Polynesian art and culture, especially that of Hawaiian tribes. While Norway stole way finding I’m sure there are other naval abilities or units Polynesia could be given, ones that focus more on trade and expansion rather than pure conquest.

Portugal- The last of the Exploration era Colonial Powers.

Sioux- A safe choice, a good choice, the best choice on this list for a Native North American civ.

Last edited:
I voted for 10 as instructed but the five I really want the most are:

Maya - If they insist on Civ staples, I would prefer it being the highly marketable Maya over the likes of Zulu or Gandhi's India

Inca - A mountain-based civ would do wonders to reverse the perception of civs being, according to some, "too similar." Fills geographic area

Mali - Any Western African civ is welcome and needed. An area rich in history and, quite literally, in wealth. I love the Songhai but let's rotate it to Mali this time around

Ottomans - More Muslim civs please! One of the most commonly requested civs - I think they were always going to add them so I wouldn't be concerned

Portugal - Fully acknowledging my Indonesian bias, I consider them too influential to be left out. Colonialist civs/seafarers is the only area I don't mind them over-representing because I love having civs that can stack up island plate/archipelago maps

Assyria, Austria, Denmark, Ethiopia, Inca, Mali, Maya, Morocco, Portugal, Sweden

Edit: forgot to vote for Hatti.

Last edited:
Assyria - Assurbanipal
Austria - Maria Theresa
Byzantium - Constantine I.
Denmark - Margaret I.
Ethiopia - Menelik II.
Inca - Pachacutec
Mali - Mansa Musa
Maya - Lady Six Sky
Ottomans - Mehmed II.
Portugal - Dom João

I'm a bit tired of how many European/Western nations we have in Civ VI so far. Right now we have Australia, the US, "England", Scotland, Spain, France, Germany, Rome, Greece (2 leaders), Macedonia, Poland, Russia, Norway, Georgia, the Netherlands, as well as postcolonial Brazil. That's 16. Scythia is Europe/Asia in the same way Georgia is, I guess. Africa has 4 (including Zulu), Asia has 7 (if we count India and exclude the Caucasian Eurasian nations and Russia), and indigenous Americans 2-3 (depending on whether Mr. Headband is Mapuche or some other South American). The Middle East has Arabia, and Persia and Sumeria represent the Mesopotamians.

So a lot of key civs in Africa, America and the Middle East remain missing. This is partly because the early DLC civs featured a large number of Western nations, spurring the non-Western onset of one African and two Southeast Asian nations for the final round of base game DLC.

We could use some more ancient Mesopotamian civs. Assyria is iconic for its famous "early tank" siege tower but I wouldn't mind seeing Hittites make a much-deserved return. Carthage, the famous enemy of Rome, is also missing so I expect them to be in the second expansion at least, with maritime bonuses and Hannibal Barca or Dido. Maybe some elephant unit, but hopefully Numidian cavalry reconnaissance/ranged archer units as well.

As far as Africa goes, Mali/Songhai and Ethiopia are both almost essential IMO. For their importance in history and their recognizability both. Of course, given the focus on agendas in VI, Mansa Musa is the best fit to lead the Bright Country, and he could show off some unique gold/faith synergy. Menelik II should lead Ethiopia this time around.

A large proportion of us want Inca back which is unsurprising. Since Civ IV, Inca have been in the base game or base game DLC, so the fact Inca aren't showing by this first expansion (likely) is going to add pressure on Firaxis to satisfy fans who miss the mountain farms and gold bonuses.

I voted for:

• Assyria (Ashurbanipal or Tilgath-Pileser III)
  • Babylon (Hammurabi, portrayed as one of the foremost ancient backstabbers, which he was)
  • Carthage (Dido/Hannibal Barca)
  • Ethiopia (Menelik II)
  • Hatti (Puduhepa with diplomatic bonuses)
  • Inca (Pacacuti)
  • Iroquois (Jigonhsasee)
  • Mali (Mansa Musa, Lord of the Mines of Wangara)
  • Maya (Lady Six Sky or Lady K'abel please)
  • Polynesians/Hawaii/Maori (Maori please)

Last edited:
Byzantium: Led by Basil II.
Ethiopia: Led by Taytu Betul or Menelik II.
Inca: Led by Viracocha/Pachacuti.
Iroquois: Led by Jigonhsasee.
Mali: Led by Mansa Sundieta Keita
Maya: Led by Pakal
Ottomans: Led by Mehmet II
Polynesia/Hawai'i: Led by Kamehameha/Lili'oukalani
Portugal: Led by Joao VI
Siam: Led by Ramkhamhaeng

This was a tough one. In the end I went for:

Babylon (we've pretty much always had Babylon in Civ; they are overdue)
Byzantium (even with Georgia coming from nearby and filling a faith/defence niche, there are other ways to depict Byzantium and I still think they are too important to leave out)
Carthage (would like to see them more trade-oriented, ideally with a unique improvement or building that produces Tyrian purple as an Indonesia-like special luxury... come on Firaxis, you know it makes sense)
Celts/Gauls (Scotland clearly aren't a Celt replacement. I'm really rooting for the Gauls this time though)
Inca (long overdue!)
Mali (it was a tough call between them and Songhai but we had Songhai last time, plus Mali would be a great fit for Civ 6)
Morocco (though in all honesty I think it's unlikely in Civ 6 so it's a bit of a vanity choice. I'd love to see a more Berber incarnation though)
Ottomans (again, way overdue)
Portugal (I'm sorry but not having Portugal in the game but having Brazil is daft)
Italy (possibly my number 1 choice. I really hope they go for a two-leader Renaissance Italy rather than just picking Genoa or Venice as a Civ)

I'd also really, really like to see the Maya again, especially if they can come up with a representation that was as cool as the calendar ability in Civ V. I only didn't vote for them so I could toss Morocco a bone. And I didn't vote for Siam because I'd rather see Vietnam, personally.

Mostly I want to see Civs with more interesting ability and gameplay design compared to what we've seen so far with Rise and Fall.

Top Bottom