Missing Civs Poll

Which of these civs do you want to return? (Choose 10)

• Assyria

Votes: 79 31.2%
  • Austria

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • Babylon

Votes: 155 61.3%
  • Byzantium

Votes: 162 64.0%
  • Carthage

Votes: 143 56.5%
  • Celts (or Gaul)

Votes: 62 24.5%
  • Denmark

Votes: 24 9.5%
  • Ethiopia

Votes: 142 56.1%
  • Hatti

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Huns

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Inca

Votes: 214 84.6%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 73 28.9%
  • Mali

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • Maya

Votes: 177 70.0%
  • Morocco

Votes: 65 25.7%
  • Ottoman Turks

Votes: 194 76.7%
  • Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori)

Votes: 102 40.3%
  • Portugal

Votes: 150 59.3%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Siam

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • Sioux

Votes: 57 22.5%
  • Songhai

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 72 28.5%
  • Venice (or Italy)

Votes: 85 33.6%

• Total voters
I chose:
  1. Babylon - They've been in since Civ I and we need another strong ancient Mesopotamian civ. Would love to see Hammurabi return.
  2. Byzantium - They're distinct enough from Rome and also a fan favorite. I didn't like their depiction in V, so I'm eager to see how they would interpret them this time around.
  3. Carthage - They've been in since Civ II. Not only a foil for Rome, Carthage was a long-lasting and powerful entity in the Mediterranean.
  4. Ethiopia - Ancient and influential, Ethiopia should be a mainstay African civ. Notably the only African people to resist European colonial ambitions.
  5. Inca - Should be the mainstay SA civ. Fan favorite. Come on, Firaxis.
  6. Mali - Should also be a mainstay African civ. Would love to see Mansa Musa again.
  7. Maya - They could be another scientific civ, which we don't have many of. Or they could be interpreted a whole new way.
  8. Ottomans - My #1 most wanted civ. They weren't in vanilla, they weren't a DLC, and they don't seem to be in R&F. Foot tapping intensifies.
  9. Portugal - Though they can be easy to overlook in their little corner of the Iberian Peninsula, Portugal was too influential during the age of exploration and colonization. Brazil is their biggest colonial legacy and is already in the game. Portugal should be too. Please no Maria though. That was probably the worst leader selection in the series (and we're talking about a series that includes CdM heading France....).
  10. Sioux - I want another Native American civ and I like the Sioux in particular. They'd fill a void in TSL.
If I had had a few more choices... Celts (specifically Gauls), Morocco, and Polynesia (though something more specific, like the Maori).

I chose:
  1. Babylon - They've been in since Civ I and we need another strong ancient Mesopotamian civ. Would love to see Hammurabi return.
  2. Byzantium - They're distinct enough from Rome and also a fan favorite. I didn't like their depiction in V, so I'm eager to see how they would interpret them this time around.
  3. Carthage - They've been in since Civ II. Not only a foil for Rome, Carthage was a long-lasting and powerful entity in the Mediterranean.
  4. Ethiopia - Ancient and influential, Ethiopia should be a mainstay African civ. Notably the only African people to resist European colonial ambitions.
  6. Mali - Should also be a mainstay African civ. Would love to see Mansa Musa again.
  7. Maya - They could be another scientific civ, which we don't have many of. Or they could be interpreted a whole new way.
  8. Ottomans - My #1 most wanted civ. They weren't in vanilla, they weren't a DLC, and they don't seem to be in R&F. Foot tapping intensifies.
  9. Portugal - Though they can be easy to overlook in their little corner of the Iberian Peninsula, Portugal was too influential during the age of exploration and colonization. Brazil is their biggest colonial legacy and is already in the game. Portugal should be too. Please no Maria though. That was probably the worst leader selection in the series (and we're talking about a series that includes CdM heading France....).
  10. Sioux - I want another Native American civ and I like the Sioux in particular. They'd fill a void in TSL.
If I had had a few more choices... Celts (specifically Gauls), Morocco, and Polynesia (though something more specific, like the Maori).

Well said.

Sweden conquered Poland (under Gustavus Adolphus), although for a short period of time.
Poland never conquered Sweden.
At the height of their power both nations were big-in European standards, however, Sweden was larger.
Both countries have existed for several centuries, and still do to this day (although Sweden was never partitioned up and disappeared from World Maps for over one hundred years)

I'd say, since Poland is already in then it would be a shame if Firaxis didn't include Sweden.

I appreciate that you put it as Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori) because while I do want a polynesian civ I do not want "Polynesia" as a civ. C'mon Firaxis I thought you'd learned from "Native Americans."

Anyways mine are

Byzantium
Carthage
Inca
Iroqouis
Mali
Maya
Ottomans
Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori)
Sioux
Sweden

Well that was tough. I needed more votes.
Went for
Mali
Italy (not Venice)
Carthage
Byzantium
Ethiopia
Portugal
Maya
Ottomans
Inca
Austria (Don't hate me. They were a great world power in their time).
Special shoutout to Babylon if I had another choice. At least it is a city state now.

I feel like "Hatti" would get more votes if they were listed as Hittites, especially because when they were in 3 they were Hittites rather than Hatti
At least more than the Huns.

I chose:

Most logical options. All of them (or almost) should have made an entry long time ago... The Ottomans especially. I would also like to see Assyria.

I voted for:
Babylon- has been in every main Civ game so far, and Sumeria was a poor representation of an ancient Mesopotamian Civ
Byzantium-different enough from the Romans to warrant a Civ, I would like more focus on the Medieval Byzantines though
Carthage-still a better Civ choice instead of Phoenicia (whose leaders aren't as interesting as say Hannibal or Hamilcar)
Ethiopia-to represent the Horn of Africa, has been an independent kingdom for nearly 2000 years
Inca-the best choice for a Central Andean Civ, largest known empire in South America
Mali-to represent the Saharan empires instead of Songhai
Maya-my favorite Mesoamerican Civilization, more historically important than the Aztecs
Ottoman-had an important empire in the Middle East and Balkans
Polynesia (or Hawaii/Maori)-not for the blob Civ, but something like the Maori would be good, Australia can't be the only Oceanian representative....(especially since their culture is so Anglo :p)
Portugal-to complete the European Civs with a major colonial empire

Honorable Mentions (Civs I would vote for if I had more votes):
Assyria-another important Mesopotamian Civ
Austria-regionally important European empire, however, I don't mind Bohemia or Hungary getting in instead of them
Celts (Gauls)-to represent the Classical Celts
Denmark /or Sweden-to be the non-Viking Scandinavian Civ
Hittites (called Hatti in this poll for some weird reason)-have the earliest attested Indo-European language (a member of the extinct Anatolian branch), and fought the Egyptians at Kadesh
Iroquois-regionally important North Amerindian nation, although I wouldn't complain if a different Native American people got in instead of them, especially one from the Southeast
Morocco-Islamic North African Civ, with some Berber heritage
Siam-their slot is pretty much taken by the Khmer, but I can't say no to another important mainland SE Asian Civ
Italy (not Venice though :p)-a Civ to represent all those Medieval/Renaissance states in the Italian Peninsula

I feel like "Hatti" would get more votes if they were listed as Hittites, especially because when they were in 3 they were Hittites rather than Hatti

Shrug. I went with the country names whenever possible because that's Firaxis' more recent trend in civ nomenclature.

It might also just be that some people don't consider them as much of a top 10 civ for as many people. They haven't been in a Civ game since 2003, so they've got a reputation as the consummate one-off civ. Unfortunately, I might add.

Shrug. I went with the country names whenever possible because that's Firaxis' more recent trend in civ nomenclature.

It might also just be that some people don't consider them as much of a top 10 civ for as many people. They haven't been in a Civ game since 2003, so they've got a reputation as the consummate one-off civ. Unfortunately, I might add.

It's kinda sad the Shoshone and the Huns have more votes than them. :cry:

I am still holding out hope that the Inca are the final civ... If not, then they are my number one civ to be included.

The Byzantines/Ottomans are too crucial to civilization to be left out. Mali/Songhai are also an important regional influence that caters to the regional diversity angle the developers are pursuing.

After those, my choices would include a multi alt-leader representation of Renaissance Italy, Sweden/Denmark (they were far more important in history than modern culture gives them credit for), and further representation of the Americas (Maya, US Tribes). Morocco would be excellent, but I would not mind if they didn't return. Certainly, no more Huns or Hittites though.

I don't know about that, I always see people asking for them to come back. Their low vote total to me makes me think it has to do with the name because I had no idea that was the Hittites until I looked it up

They were called the Hittites in Civ 3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattians
There apparently were a group of people called the Hatti that ended up being absorbed into the Hittite Empire. In that case it might get confusing.

My choices are: Assyria, Babylon, Carthage, Inca, Maya, Ottomans, Portugal, Siam, Sioux and Venice.

I would love to see the Hittites, Vietnam, and maybe the Apache or Mohawk.
I would like to see these as city states: Genoa (trade), Florence (culture), Edo/Tokyo (war), Cromford, England (production), San Jose (science) and Tay Ninh, Vietnam (religion).

They were called the Hittites in Civ 3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattians
There apparently were a group of people called the Hatti that ended up being absorbed into the Hittite Empire. In that case it might get confusing.

It was still the Kingdom of Hatti. That's the country name. The Hittites called themselves Neshili (ie. Nesh-ites, or the people of Kanesh). They began as foreign conquerors of the native Hattians but gradually merged with them (compare with the Norman conquest of England).

Early archaeologists matched them up with the biblical term "Hittites," which is very similar (and may or may not be wholly accurate). It led to confusing questions of arbitrary nomenclature.

I don't care if a mod would like to put "(Hittites)" next to "Hatti" up in the poll options. That's fine.

I'll create a Hittite thread in the Ideas forum for further discussion.

Mine are Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, Inca, Maya, Mali, Ethiopia, Celts (Gaul), the Ottomans and Assyria.
Same exact list for me, except substitute Austria for Mali.

I might have voted for the Hittites, but as an uncultured swine I thought Hatti meant Haiti so I didn't click it. I'd still probably prefer Assyria.

This might not be the approach I'd take as a game designer, but as a fan, I could honestly go without more important staples like Portugal, the Inca or Carthage in exchange for a bunch of stupid random novel nonsense, like Polynesia, Italy and the Huns. Civilizations which have a bit more freshness too them and potential for really stand out game mechanics.

Also, I am very proud to be one of only 12 people who apparently liked the Huns.

All of the nonbelievers shall have their cities razed at double speed.

Top Bottom