[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered but I don't think I'm part way through the 49 pages of this thread and haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

I really enjoy this mod and play it all the time, but the one thing I think it's lacking is correct starting positions for native civilizations. As someone with a keen interest in native american civs and their interaction with Europeans this is a really frustrating aspect of the game.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed or what I can do to fix it myself?

Lent Civ4 to a buddy. Never got it back. So I bought Civ4 Col to feed the monkey. Didn't like. 7/10 if you ask me. A year later,bored and jonesing for some Civ (buddy still has the Civ4 but I took back the install disk,so no play for him),I load up the C4C. Still don't like. Then I find this site and more specifically;this mod (Aod2). Game is now 9/10 for me,I likey very much.
Thank you Dale for your hard and valuable work in making this game worthy of my attention.

Well I forced myself to take a break from AoD2 back at patch 1.08 because I was ignoring other slightly important things in real life too much. I've recently downloaded 1.12 and have been playing in more moderation now :)

I like it over all. I really like the added progression of buildings. Especially when founding further towns after your first--it makes more sense to start with more limited buildings and build up. Since it takes a bit longer, I added a bit more time to the game, and that works well.

However, it seems that the AI nations are almost TOO turbocharged now. Even on the lower difficulty levels the AI countries have tons of cities all over the map VERY early in the game, they are beating me out on many FF's, and are actually sometimes far ahead of me in the economic/industry scores. It seems they are getting a LOT of added bonuses or help.

I can counter this using certain strategies (like getting the FF's by spamming the continent immediately with one person Liberty bell producing cities but it seems too gamey and not in the style I like to play). I like to play a deliberate game where I expand more slowly rather than a desperate unrealistic rush to colonize the entire place in 50 years.

I suppose if I had to choose I would take the current AI nation behavior over the passive AI that existed before. But, is there some way I can get a middle ground?

I understand this is the last "installment". Is there some place I can go myself to slightly tweak the expansion of the AI nations down just a notch?

Still I thank Dale for all his work and this is certainly not a deal breaker.

Code:
			<iAIImmigration>0</iAIImmigration>
			<iNumAIImmigrants>0</iNumAIImmigrants>
			<iAIMoneyTree>0</iAIMoneyTree>

In Civ4HandicapInfos.xml these three tags indicate how strong the AI helpers are. They are percentage based, so the 100% is maximum boost and 0% is no boost. Play with those figures, maybe half them all if you want.

Code:
			<iAIImmigration>0</iAIImmigration>
			<iNumAIImmigrants>0</iNumAIImmigrants>
			<iAIMoneyTree>0</iAIMoneyTree>

In Civ4HandicapInfos.xml these three tags indicate how strong the AI helpers are. They are percentage based, so the 100% is maximum boost and 0% is no boost. Play with those figures, maybe half them all if you want.

Thanks for your quick reply!! I was just poking around in that file and noticed those but wasn't sure exactly what to do. So thanks for the details. However, at the easiest levels there doesn't appear to be much of a boost in those categories yet there is still mega expansion by the ai on easy. I noticed the aiconstruct, aigrowth, aitrain, and aihurry numbers so I'll try messing around with those too (they seem to go in the opposite direction i.e. 160 for the easiest level and 50 for the hardest level). I'm going to give the game a whirl now and see.

The harder the difficulty level, the more boost the AI gets. It's inverse, that's how a "hard" level is made. ;)

Nice Mod!

I was extremely disappointed that a colonial nation as big and powerful as Portugal did not appear in the game. (I'm even pleased with Purple). With this mod, I can finally play as them.

Now, as with every minor power mentioned, I have 2 ones I like to suggest.

The first one is New Prussia. Here is a Mod that includes it. Now. I think being able to play as Germany would kick butt in my opinion, but they would obviously be minor.

The other would be (and have no mod to show you, sorry), would be New Ottoman (Maybe New Turkey instead? It sounds better). Age of Empires 3 proves that they indeed have colonies in the New world, and the religious differences would be fun. They could have an X amount of negative relationship to all European empires (You have followed the sway of a heathen religion, anyone?). Also, heavily converted Native nations would also have a negative bonus. However, they could have a chance to spread Islam to the New World. Heavily missioned states by the Turks will cause that tribe to have the same negative bonus. Finally, some aesthetic changes would be in order. Instead of crosses, they could generate crescents (If anyone has a better idea, do share)? Also, Churches and Cathedral would be changed to "Small Mosques" and "Large Mosques", respectively. Even with all of this work, they would probably be minor. If needed, I can help with New Turkey idea-wise.

Anyways, I have an Idea. The Big 5, England, France, Spain, Holland, and Portugal will always be major. However, there could be an option for all the minor colonies (New Sweden, New Prussia, etc). The first one will use the current idea, that the Minors aren't playable and come around 100 years later then everyone. The second will have them playable and arrive with the Big 5 and have a change to be big powers. You may or May not add some bonuses to the Big 5 so that they would have an edge, but for the most part, it's anyone's game. That would open up some interesting possibilities.

Nice Mod!

I was extremely disappointed that a colonial nation as big and powerful as Portugal did not appear in the game. (I'm even pleased with Purple). With this mod, I can finally play as them.

Now, as with every minor power mentioned, I have 2 ones I like to suggest.

The first one is New Prussia. Here is a Mod that includes it. Now. I think being able to play as Germany would kick butt in my opinion, but they would obviously be minor.

The other would be (and have no mod to show you, sorry), would be New Ottoman (Maybe New Turkey instead? It sounds better). Age of Empires 3 proves that they indeed have colonies in the New world, and the religious differences would be fun. They could have an X amount of negative relationship to all European empires (You have followed the sway of a heathen religion, anyone?). Also, heavily converted Native nations would also have a negative bonus. However, they could have a chance to spread Islam to the New World. Heavily missioned states by the Turks will cause that tribe to have the same negative bonus. Finally, some aesthetic changes would be in order. Instead of crosses, they could generate crescents (If anyone has a better idea, do share)? Also, Churches and Cathedral would be changed to "Small Mosques" and "Large Mosques", respectively. Even with all of this work, they would probably be minor. If needed, I can help with New Turkey idea-wise.

Anyways, I have an Idea. The Big 5, England, France, Spain, Holland, and Portugal will always be major. However, there could be an option for all the minor colonies (New Sweden, New Prussia, etc). The first one will use the current idea, that the Minors aren't playable and come around 100 years later then everyone. The second will have them playable and arrive with the Big 5 and have a change to be big powers. You may or May not add some bonuses to the Big 5 so that they would have an edge, but for the most part, it's anyone's game. That would open up some interesting possibilities.

AFAIK the Ottomans didn't have colonies in the new world, but Prussia (as Brandenburg) did have a colony in the Caribbean. And I like your idea for minors appearing later on (maybe something like it is for the pirate civ - appears later if AI controlled?), it would be good for adding civs like New Courland, New Sweden, New Denmark and New Brandenburg.

I hope this is the best thread for this but I am having a problem amking this mod work. I have the latest version of both C4C and the AOD Mod, it shows AgeofDiscoveryII in the top right hand corner after loading it, but then when i go to start a game i only see the original four empires. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
DN

Has anybody else noticed that if you send a privateer into a coastal Indian camp which is within an enemy's boarders, that to get your ship out of the camp you need an open boarders agreement with that power? Why is this?

* Immigration threshold increase percent 10% (from 25%). This slows down cross requirement growth.

What does this mean? Do immigrants show up faster on the docks or slower. Sorry for the dumb question. :blush:

Possible bug.

I'm playing as the french in a custom game and when I go to declare independence the game just crashes. It's run fine up to this point. Is this a bug or is there something else I need to mess with to get it to work?

Thanks.

I can not seem to get the mod to work.

I have downloaded and installed the game patch, the mod, and the upgrade for the mod. It does function properly through setting the game up, but immediately after clicking "Launch!" the game crashes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
~Shane

[edit]BTW, I'm using The Complete Edition of Civ IV. I'm guessing that may have something to do with it as none of the other mods work as well. Patches are current. Is there a work around? :/

See other thread.

Summary: this mod is for Colonization, not Civ4.

Let me start off by saving this MOD has literally saved this game for me. I'd given up on this version of Colonization and this MOD makes it fun again. As a lover of the original Colonization you get HUGE props from me and a big thanks.

Couple quick questions...

Are Custom Houses in the game and I am just missing them?

What ini setting do I need to change to have Colonization lauch AoD by default?

Sorry if these have been asked but this thread is hard to search due to the size.

Thanks in advance for any help!

My cronies and I play this wonderful MOD hotseat and while it is great,the education system doesn't work. The problem is when you add the student to the school and click to finish the turn the chart to select the new profession and pay the gold is in the next player's turn.So your choices are never selected.Works great in single player,probably good on LAN,but the loss of the education portion of the game in hotseat seriously alters the game(Founding Fathers that influence books are almost useless,no need at all to build/upgrade schools,no educating converts and worst of all you have to buy every veteran,gets very expensive).

Are Custom Houses in the game and I am just missing them?
Yes, they're the last kind of warehouse expansion. You need to build a city hall (or a town hall ? The second "hall"), the last kind of city center, to be able to build them.

What ini setting do I need to change to have Colonization lauch AoD by default?
Edit the file CivilizationIV.ini with Notepad in My Documents\My Games\Colonization.

Look for the lines :

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod =0
and change the second one for:
Mod = Mods\AgeOfDiscoveryII
Assuming you installed the Mod as it must be done, in My Program Files.

Thanks in advance for any help!
You're welcome. :)

Edit: ouch, didn't check the date. Oh, well... It will serve anyway.

I would like to report a few things.

It seems that game will crash to desktop if you buy tools/guns to finish a any ships from shipyards. Tools/Guns is boycotted in europe though but all other buildings except ships works.

Also AI europeans is very passive even on governor difficulty. Only thing they seem to do is cheat. Just sit there and get their units by cheats and bonuses. Never really see an AI do much. What difficulty is best to play at so that the europeans actually may declare war on you ect. And indians?. Nothing really happens. Annoying.

Top Bottom