[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Okay so I've bought the game now that some good mods apparently recreated the feeling of the old Colonization. Didn't bother to try it out before after all that I've heard.

I installed the mod, but I don't see all the maps as listed in this screenshot from page 1:

Did the developer add additional maps, or am I doing something wrong?
Related question: Which map am I supposed to be playing now? Standard Americas? Huge Americas? Is the mod layed out for a specific type of map?

Okay so I've bought the game now that some good mods apparently recreated the feeling of the old Colonization. Didn't bother to try it out before after all that I've heard.

I installed the mod, but I don't see all the maps as listed in this screenshot from page 1

Did the developer add additional maps, or am I doing something wrong?
Related question: Which map am I supposed to be playing now? Standard Americas? Huge Americas? Is the mod layed out for a specific type of map?

Hi Astat,

To use thoses maps, choose "Single Player" in the main menu, then choose "Play a Scenario" and you will have the maps listed as in the screenshot.

Personaly I perfer using the FaireWeather map generator that's included with AoDII...

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I see when following your instructions:

Just had my first hard times on a map... didn't figure out why my ship wouldn't sail back to the homeland when I issued the order to sail back... it just stayed in my colony for 40 turns or so. I eventually learned I had to "discover" the Atlantic first for the automated order to work. :)

Aww now I am really confused:

I started the Scenario "PatchMod - WesternHemisphere (Huge)" with the French, expecting it to be a recreation of the historical events.

However, my French ship spawned somewhere off the coast of Northern Brazil, and I met some Sioux natives there. Is there any way to play a game where the Natives and Europeans start at their right positions?
Starting FaireWeather spawns my Frenchies between Cotton and Tobacco fields as well... why won't they start in the Northern territories?!

Astat, part of that deals with the game engine's randomizer. The term "scenario" is more or less a misnomer, they're really little more than maps that are edited to a particular shape. Heavily edited maps with established locations aren't particularly mod friendly and if done to scale would leave most systems crying on their knees, so we make due with what we have and nod where things aren't precisely historically accurate.

Okay I think I can live with always starting somewhere South of the Equator - do miss the old colonization starting positions though. ;)

Still wondering about the missing maps, though.

I actually do have them in the appropriate mod folder:
\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\AgeOfDiscoveryII\PublicMaps

Okay I think I can live with always starting somewhere South of the Equator - do miss the old colonization starting positions though. ;)

Still wondering about the missing maps, though.

I actually do have them in the appropriate mod folder:
\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\AgeOfDiscoveryII\PublicMaps

The only thing I can suggest is moving the entire mod to a Mods folder you create in your Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization or whatever the Col directory in Program Files is on your computer.

Maybe there's a problem because I have it in a custom folder, without \2K Games\Firaxis Games

Make sure your path is correct. I was putting the mod under the typical expanded folder of:

\MODS\AoD2_1.12\AgeOfDiscoveryII

instead of:

\MODS\AgeOfDiscoveryII

So I would appear to load, but not have access to the mod's features.

Joseph

Yeah my Mod is in here:

\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\AgeOfDiscoveryII

I *hope* this is the right place..? How do I find out if I am actually playing the mod or vanilla? :)
edit: I have started a new thread on this topic now: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8401357

BTW, I've played the game now and got loads of treasures just by visiting native villages. I was planning to play it like the Spanish Conquistadores, but ended up with just a huge tournée around all native villages, earning massive $$$ the way I would have gotten only by razing the settlements back in Colonization 1.

Visiting as many settlements as possible before other Europeans do it seems to be definitely the most important part of the early game.

Works for me

works for me - problem must be on your side. are you using a crappy browser?

Top Bottom