1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] GreenMod (replant forest and other changes)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Master Lexx, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

GreenMod 1.5 has been released now. If you like it or have any ideas to improve it, post here.

2. MrBilzor

MrBilzor Chieftain

Hey Master Lexx, just downloaded 1.4 two days ago, and am presently grabbing 1.5. I like this mod, nice changes with nothing too drastic. Workers costing money made me really change my game! I will be constantly checking for further updates, and will be glad to lay my opinion out in the open for your review. Keep up the good work.

Mister Bilzor

3. SmallScientist

SmallScientist Chieftain

Hi Master Lexx,

I downloaded your Mod and find I like your ideas about Resources and Forest planting. Overall, I think this is a good work, and the documentation of changes is absolutely excellent, and invaluable for other modders as myself.

I cannot offer much playtesting feedback, as I'm currently busy with my own Classic Mod (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147482). Up to now, I just managed to play one game to the beginning of the Industrial Era, but I can say I agree with upgrading Forts and decreasing max Wonders per City (I was even more extreme on this in my Mod). I hope I can give further feedback in a reasonable time.

Meanwhile, I was thinking about re-using some of your ideas, python, and art for my Classic Mod (with proper credit to you); would this be a problem ?

Thanks

4. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Thnaks for your posts, the next thing i change is decrease the happy and health given because of the additional ressorces. This mod was meant to improve civ4, but now it´s a bit too much happy giving. It´s not that bad, i will fix this.
    Maybe i should decrease worldwonder to 4 per city? It´s just that i think it´s anoying always showing max woldwonders left: 0.
    I am currently looking for making the AI more difficult without giving them a such big research bonus. (Ever tried on the high diffs? it is frustrating)

Of course you can include my changes in your mod, just give credit somewhere.

p.s.: workers always did cost 1 gold like every unit (but missionary and great people)

5. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

wow, the bonus_ressource: ancient temple is a really nice idea and it looks cool. :goodjob:

6. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

Nice ideas :).

Maybe add cave resource? Can spawn bears or early barbarians, and gives tourist profits :). Also adds defence :p.

7. MrBilzor

MrBilzor Chieftain

Couple things: I had two workers planting a forest on a tundra hill, the tile changed from bare to forest, but the workers will still planting a forest. Slightly confused (because I could see that there was already a forest), I told them to move, and I received a CTD for my efforts. I am guessing that this isn't normal.

Also, it would be nice to be able to change all those desert tiles into something useable. How about after civil service (or soemthing) desert tiles next to non desert tiles can be irrigated to a flood plain. I don't changing the tile to flood plain, I mean adding an improvement than simulates the flood plain. I see a mass range of desert and I think 'well, not building anywhere near there'.

8. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Yes, thanks to your posts. The temple just look cool. And the worker bug, i know it, it´s because the improvement is removed after it is built. Believe me, it´s no problem, a turn later they will be ready to await new orders. I will think about the idea with desert. New version 1.6 is nearly ready, this time, you can rzae cities and national wonders with a demolition troop. As well the jungle around a new built city is burned down. As well some fixes to the ressources ballance and increased the tech costs of hogher techs. Now i am only trying to get my inquisitor to make unrest. So, 1.6 will be out on friday, or maybe earlier.

9. SmallScientist

SmallScientist Chieftain

Hi again,

I managed to finish the game I had started a few days ago. Apart from my previous post, I can add I definitely like the production bonus from cutting Jungle and the increased minimum distance betweeen cities (although by now I'm not sure the AI is dealing efficiently with this).

I also agree with your proposed reduction of health / happiness resource bonuses, and, as MrBilzor says, would like to see some (limited) exploitation of desert (in my Classic Mod, I am currently experimenting with allowing Farms subject to a -1 or even -2 Food penalty and possibly Mines or Quarries with a -1 Hammer penalty).

On the negative side, I'm definitely uneasy about Slaves as a 'Resource', but I wouldn't want to start a discussion on this; that's my view, I may as well eliminate them with some xml changes. Also, I still can't see a good use for Savage Warriors, but again, that may just be my own playing style.

Hope this feedback can be of any use. Thanks again for the invaluable modding insight you provided.

10. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Okay, the Slaves weren´t that usefull, I removed them. 1.6 is out now, it took some time to prevent the Demolitiontroop and Inquisitor to be exploitable. But I will think about the desert titles usage.

11. David Smith

David Smith Warlord

When I downloaded 1.6 ver and tried to winrar it, :cry: I got the following error mesages:

1. GreenMod_1_60.rar: CRC failed in GreenMod 1.60\Assets\Art\Terrain\Resources\Salt\Marble_Raw.dds. The file is corrupt
    2. GreenMod_1_60.rar: Unexpected end of archive

What is wrong? program or winrar? :sad: :wallbash:

12. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

My fault, something went wrong while uploading. I uploaded them again now and tested them, they are working now.

13. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Okay, after I posted the new info that Patch 1.52 has been released, I updated my Mod and it´s now compatible with the new Patch. And now you can choose which nat wonder you raze.

A few persons seem to have problems with missing fonts in my Mod, I don´t have this problem and many others also have no problems. But if this happened to you, simply delete this file (this is the turn timer modification): Civilization 4\Mods\GreenMod 1.70\Assets\Python\Screens\CvMainInterface.py

Only if you have the missing fonts problem! This will fix it, I have currently no idea why this happens and I am no python expert. I modified the file from version 1.52.

14. Roamty

Roamty BTS

How did you make and edit the Res gameFont to make your bonus icons.Also the DDS icons. Please teach what do I need to edit and make my own. Thankyou

15. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Okay, now that version 1.9 is out, i will take some time and write an guide on how to add new ressources to the game. You were not the only one who asked me for this, but it´s no wonder... how many other mods do have so nice ressources like GreenMod?

16. eatcarrotsnow

eatcarrotsnow Chieftain

How do I replant forest? I don't see any option to do this.

17. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Next time please read my starting post first. You need the technology paper and then your workers can plant a new forest in your cultural area.

18. eatcarrotsnow

eatcarrotsnow Chieftain

I read the starting post, which is why I'm asking now. I have paper, but I cannot plant any forests. So what's the problem then?

19. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Impossible, I can plant forest. I did just tested the forest plant function again and it really works fine.
    Maybe you need to scroll down in your worker button list. (it´s the button showing a forest)
    And remember: this only works in your cultural area, and only on grass, plains, tundra terrain.

And be sure you have the archive extracted into the right directory!
    This is valid: C:\My Program Files\Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Mods\GreenMod 1.92
    This is invalid: C:\My Program Files\Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Mods\GreenMod19\GreenMod 1.92
    Of course this is just the standard installation directory, you can have civ4 installed elsewhere.

20. Sevo

Sevo Leaf on the Wind

Actually, with large stacks they don't wait for new orders. The problem is that the improvement is removed before some of the workers turns come up so they think it still needs to be built.

I wanted to add this to one of my mods and I found a way to fix the workers' behavior. You simply have to put a tag in to remove the improvement after a full turn has passed. Here's the code in my event manager, and it seems to have fixed this problem:

Code:
    	def __init__(self):
                    self.pPlot_remembered = [-1,""]

def onBeginPlayerTurn(self, argsList):
    		'Called at the beginning of a players turn'
    		iGameTurn, iPlayer = argsList		

# Sevo's Green Mod Worker Fix

if (self.pPlot_remembered[0] != -1):
    			self.pPlot_remembered[0] += 1
    			if (self.pPlot_remembered[0] > 3):
    				self.pPlot_remembered[1].setImprovementType(-1)
    				self.pPlot_remembered = [-1,""]

def onImprovementBuilt(self, argsList):
    		self.parent.onImprovementBuilt(self, argsList)
    		rf.onImprovementBuilt(argsList)

'GreenMod change, creates summer forest and winter forest, removes the building newforest'	
    		iImprovement, iX, iY = argsList
    		pPlot = CyMap().plot(iX,iY)
    		if(iImprovement==gc.getInfoTypeForString('IMPROVEMENT_NEW_FOREST')):
    			CyInterface().addMessage(CyGame().getActivePlayer(),True,25,'A new forest has been planted!','AS2D_DISCOVERBONUS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/TerrainFeatures/Forest.dds',ColorTypes(8),iX,iY,True,True)
    			pPlot.setFeatureType(4, 1)

self.pPlot_remembered = [1,pPlot]