[MOD] Realism:Resurrected

I really love the increase in exp from fighting the barbs... one problem i see in it though... when i upgrade , say a horse archer to knight, the total exp needed to get the next level stays the same but your accumulated exp drops to 10 ( for horse archer to knight) ( this i noticed from my 12 hours straight playing the mod) ... example i had a horse archer with 36/38 exp, upgraded to knight, it's exp was 10/38. notice the drop in exp?

This is actually a feature of Civ4 in general... everytime you upgrade it drops the XP to maximum of 10... its to ensure that super units don't make it to late game from the beginning. sort of a learn a new skill penalty :p

Kristine,

Thank you for your editor recommendation. I have succesfully integrated your Realism Mod with abbamouse's realism Religion Mod. I have tested it and it works great. :)

Shall I open a new thread and publish it? There were some people interested in this combination. We can also publish it here as a second file, if you wish to. :)

Many thanks
Houman

Houman said:
Kristine,

Thank you for your editor recommendation. I have succesfully integrated your Realism Mod with abbamouse's realism Religion Mod. I have tested it and it works great. :)

Shall I open a new thread and publish it? There were some people interested in this combination. We can also publish it here as a second file, if you wish to. :)

Many thanks
Houman

I'm sure it was a good bit of work! You can publish it either or both as a new thread or here.

--Kristine

Last call for changes and inclusions! I will be releasing a new version in a few days and if you have things you want changed or added, please speak up now. At a minimum, it will include Snaitf's Great General mod, portions of Master Lexx's GreenMod, Zuul's Promotions and Traits mod, 12monkey's re-init mod and probably a couple of advisor mods.

As of this afternoon, there have been 860 downloads of the last release nine days ago.

--Kristine

this is a copy-paste on some suggestions I already posted in another thread. I'll post here as well since, well, my suggestions haven't changed in the meanwhile ;)

-rodman49's Religious Victory ( great! ) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144052

-Cyberchrist's enhanced Wonders info ( invaluable for those who love wonders, like myself for example ) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145253

- a nice little thingy you could "borrow" from Sevo's mod :
"-- Explorers and Scouts can build forts and explore temples. They're a little more useful now." ) temples are a greenmod's resource, the only one that Sevo included in his mod. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=151611

-some great tweaks included by Exavier in his Composite Mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147560 :

Quote:
-Missile Silo: Required in city before said city can build ICBMs. (makes sense)
-SDI: Efficiency reduced to 60%, Cost raised to 2500 Hammers. (nukes are sooo weak right now. this is a badly needed change IMHO )
-Tree Nursery: Turns into a forest after 25 turns. ( a must-have, IMHO )
-Agressive Trait: Added the free promotion to the rest of the unit types (not just Melee and Gun) ( which makes sense I guess )
-Unit Upgrade: Upgrade costs reduced by about 50% ). ( because, let's face it, unit upgrade gold costs right now are OUTRAGEOUS )
-National Wonders: Made it possible to build 3 National Wonders per city instead of 2. ( a little more freedom can't hurt )

-also, a couple of tweaks I miss a lot from Dearmad's mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138005 :

Quote:
WINERIES possible with POTTERY:
well, all it takes to make wine is the container, and pottery does just that ( amphoras anyone? ) . plus, wine and alcohol in general is one of the most ancient discoveries made by man: it came waaaaaaay before Monarchy.

COTTAGES NOT possible until Monarchy (was Pottery):
The economy heats up too fast too early otherwise. I figure you need a slightly better knowledge of civics before you have suburbs. (makes sense IMHO )

[to_xp]Gekko said:
A clever idea. Do you think it's cooked?
-Cyberchrist's enhanced Wonders info ( invaluable for those who love wonders, like myself for example ) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145253
I'll take this one under consideration.
"-- Explorers and Scouts can build forts and explore temples. They're a little more useful now." ) temples are a greenmod's resource, the only one that Sevo included in his mod. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=151611
This is nice. I'm planning on adding portions of the GreenMod, but I was thinking primarily of the bonuses. I'll have to look into the temples.

-some great tweaks included by Exavier in his Composite Mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147560 :
Quote:
-Missile Silo: Required in city before said city can build ICBMs. (makes sense)
-SDI: Efficiency reduced to 60%, Cost raised to 2500 Hammers. (nukes are sooo weak right now. this is a badly needed change IMHO )
-Tree Nursery: Turns into a forest after 25 turns. ( a must-have, IMHO )
-Agressive Trait: Added the free promotion to the rest of the unit types (not just Melee and Gun) ( which makes sense I guess )
-Unit Upgrade: Upgrade costs reduced by about 50% ). ( because, let's face it, unit upgrade gold costs right now are OUTRAGEOUS )
-National Wonders: Made it possible to build 3 National Wonders per city instead of 2. ( a little more freedom can't hurt )
Missile silos: Requiring missile silos at the place missiles are manufactured doesn't make a lot of (realism) sense. Missile silos should be found out in the open areas. But I do understand the desire to make ICBM's a little more difficult.

SDI: Good change on SDI/Nuke issue.

Tree nursery: There are a handful of mods out there that in some form allow for the forced propogation of forests. Do you prefer having to construct a tile improvement prior to the creation of a forest, as opposed to having a worker directly plant a forest? Perhaps we could have a Botany tech which results in being able to build a greenhouse which provides a limited number of "forest seedlings" at any one time that can be subsequently planted? You can also add in the needed maturation time of the seedlings if you want.

-also, a couple of tweaks I miss a lot from Dearmad's mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138005 :
Quote:
WINERIES possible with POTTERY:
well, all it takes to make wine is the container, and pottery does just that ( amphoras anyone? ) . plus, wine and alcohol in general is one of the most ancient discoveries made by man: it came waaaaaaay before Monarchy.

COTTAGES NOT possible until Monarchy (was Pottery):
The economy heats up too fast too early otherwise. I figure you need a slightly better knowledge of civics before you have suburbs. (makes sense IMHO )

Wineries: In this mod, wineries are enabled with Priesthood. I was thinking of the ancient but continued connection between religion and alcoholic beverages. And at least for me, it gives me a more compelling reason to research Priesthood.

Cottages: I'm real ambivalent about this one. Jaynus had moved Cottages all the way up to Monarchy (which he probably got from dearlymad), which made the intervening years very difficult, economically, so I moved it back to Pottery. Perhaps we could weaken cottages until Monarchy?

As for Monarchy, Heriditary Rule is not something that came along with traditional Eurocentric mondarchy. I mean, what's the difference between Egyptian dynastic rule and European heriditary rule? I'd rather rename it to Dynasty, but then it's also later in the tech tree than it should be. And I'm not real comfortable with the Castle, either. It's perhaps placed well time-wise, but castle has the connotation of European castles, sort of excluding the notion of citadels and such. But I guess, in lieu of a better name, it will have to do. Actually, I would consider enabling it with Feudalism, which rather makes it important to lengthen the usefulness of castles.

Pottery: Having Pottery depend on the Wheel and Sailing (or Agriculture, which does make some sense) doesn't work for me. There was plenty of pottery happening before the wheel, and even in civiliations that never did anything with the wheel.

Sailing: This is not a good name for this tech, at least as far as what it enables. It should be something like "Coastal Navigation". And I do not agree that galleys should be limited to coastal waters. I think it should revert back to being able to traverse ocean waters, but with a high chance of disappearing.

And then there's Mathematics and the Calendar and ... :lol: I guess I'm thinking the whole early era needs re-working.

--Kristine

@KGrevstad - little more clearification on why i mad those changes listed in your previous post (might help it make sence)

Missle Silo - I wanted to make it so that you couldn't just outright build nukes. And since I couldn't make it a tile improvement (since ICBMs are immoble by default) I figured a Nuclear Silo would work fine for this tast. After all Civ4 is not really an EXACT game so just because its considered in a city doesn't mean its not 30 miles outside the city limits :)

SDI - I made this change to try to create a bigger window for Nukes... It didn't actually work as planned. It did make nukes more effective but a good production city can still manage to build it in about a half a dozen turns. The next update of my mod will have a tech tree rewrite that stuffs about 10 techs between Fission and the SDI :p

Tree Nursery - The way I see it instead of making your worker spend 30 turns to make a forest (what alot of ppl had done) I would have them build a facility thats faster to assemble and then after time (25 turns) it becomes a forest. That way your workers can be doing other things while the trees are actually growing. Think of it more as planting the baby trees and cordoning off the area while they grow (just like in RL). :)

When the next version ???

Kristine,

Nice changes!!! That would be fantastic.

You were right, it was a lot of work to combine the mods. Since your Mod will have a major change soon as well as abbamouse's mod. I will wait for both versions before publish the combination. ;)

BTW, which Earth Map Mod do you use for sake of realism?

Thanks
Houman

Exavier said:
Missle Silo - I wanted to make it so that you couldn't just outright build nukes. And since I couldn't make it a tile improvement (since ICBMs are immoble by default)
Hmmm, I'm sure you could get this to work if you really wanted it to.

Exavier said:
LMFAO... trust me I will bring back Airfields LOOONG before I make a stand alone Missle Silo... :p
Right, I was going to make a smart comment along the lines of "do it then".

Then I released that airfields are quite a bit harder than silos...

Maybe You could rename sailing to watercraft, and put sailing somewhere later in the tech tree ?

KGrevstad said:
A clever idea. Do you think it's cooked?[\QUOTE]
dunno what "cooked" would mean in this context, actually :D I do think it's worth to be included :goodjob:

This is nice. I'm planning on adding portions of the GreenMod, but I was thinking primarily of the bonuses. I'll have to look into the temples.
Are you going to add the extra resources too? I would if I were you, I like a little variety in the resources I will come up with.

Missile silos: Requiring missile silos at the place missiles are manufactured doesn't make a lot of (realism) sense. Missile silos should be found out in the open areas. But I do understand the desire to make ICBM's a little more difficult.

SDI: Good change on SDI/Nuke issue.

Tree nursery: There are a handful of mods out there that in some form allow for the forced propogation of forests. Do you prefer having to construct a tile improvement prior to the creation of a forest, as opposed to having a worker directly plant a forest? Perhaps we could have a Botany tech which results in being able to build a greenhouse which provides a limited number of "forest seedlings" at any one time that can be subsequently planted? You can also add in the needed maturation time of the seedlings if you want.

Exavier already answered to these issues and I agree with what he said ;)

Wineries: In this mod, wineries are enabled with Priesthood. I was thinking of the ancient but continued connection between religion and alcoholic beverages.
This is only true regarding christianity. Islam for example would be a very different matter.

And at least for me, it gives me a more compelling reason to research Priesthood.
The Oracle is already more than enough for most people ;)

Cottages: I'm real ambivalent about this one. Jaynus had moved Cottages all the way up to Monarchy (which he probably got from dearlymad), which made the intervening years very difficult, economically, so I moved it back to Pottery. Perhaps we could weaken cottages until Monarchy?
then there would be little reason to build them until monarchy... I think monarchy is a good milestone for the creation of cottages. not that I care THAT much since I rarely build them anyway :p

Pottery: Having Pottery depend on the Wheel and Sailing (or Agriculture, which does make some sense) doesn't work for me. There was plenty of pottery happening before the wheel, and even in civiliations that never did anything with the wheel.
I agree taking away the need for wheel would have its sense.

Oh, and btw I think abbamouse's mod would make for another great addition.

and the icebreaker mod is awesome too! :goodjob:

noid said:
Maybe You could rename sailing to watercraft, and put sailing somewhere later in the tech tree ?
It's already implied that you have watercraft, though, because of fishing and the workboat. And what would a later sailing tech do? I did consider it. There were definitely ocean-going cultures around before the invention of optics and the modern compass.

--Kristine

Exavier said:
lol besides why would one garrison an ICBM outside a city when this game is based off city defence :p
Well, in reality, city defense has little effect on the defense of missile silos. And perhaps I'm mistaken, but 30 miles outside of town for a missile silo seems awfully close to the city. I still think they should be outside of the city square and hence, more vulnerable, but still with pretty hardened defenses. But you're right, it's a moot point at the moment, and you still want to make it more difficult to build nukes.

--Kristine

KGrevstad said:
Well, in reality, city defense has little effect on the defense of missile silos. And perhaps I'm mistaken, but 30 miles outside of town for a missile silo seems awfully close to the city. I still think they should be outside of the city square and hence, more vulnerable, but still with pretty hardened defenses. But you're right, it's a moot point at the moment, and you still want to make it more difficult to build nukes.

--Kristine

hmmm... looks at the map with the 3 Silos (retired and otherwise) near the city he lives in... 30 miles isn't that far off :p

Top Bottom