1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] The Spread of Imperialism

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Androrc the Orc, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

Yes, in the sense that you can use Crosses and Bells :p

I want to add a "Leadership" yield later on that generates Great Generals (kind of like in Victoria), but would also be used for researching army and navy technology and getting military fathers.

Sounds good :)

The trading itself wouldn't, but the contact with more technologically advanced civilizations would make the natives gain more knowledge of their technologies.

It makes good gameplay sense, but I'm not sure it models reality well though. I can see Cloth, Tools and Guns advancing technology, but Rum and Cigars, not so much.

That would be pretty nice to have, but yes, difficult to code :p

Something more doable would be having the technology cost decrease depending on the number of civilizations you have contact with that know that technology (with perhaps a greater bonus if you are a child civ of that contact).

I'm aiming for giving them the historical techs they had in 1492, so for example Portugal should start with more naval research done, Florence with more cultural research and so on.

Taking a look at CvGameTextMgr.cpp, I think it is possible for me to do that. In any case, a problem is that units represent a group of people, while ships represent individual ships. I've been experimenting with a "population size" value for units too, so I don't think it would fit well.

By the way, would you know how to make the shipname modcomp first try to generate names for a particular ship type for a civilization, and if there aren't any, then generate through the regular method?

2. Androrc the Orc

A screenshot of how the modified citizen description looks like:

3. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

That's true enough about the colonist names.. I'm not sure if there's a python function to get unitclass, but if there is you could modify the namegen to make different names by unitclass like this:
    PHP:
    def NameGen(selfunit):

pPlayer gc.getPlayer(unit.getOwner())

pCiv pPlayer.getCivilizationType()

pClass unit.getUnitClass()
            if 
    pCiv == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_SPAIN') or pCiv == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_SPAIN_EUROPE'):
                if 
    pClass == gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_GALLEON')

lName = ["Atocha"]
                else:

lName = ["Nina","Pinta","Santa Maria"]
    I'm not sure though about making every colonist unit have a different population size.. You don't have to use every game feature of Victoria, micromanaging dozens of fragmented units like "17 Clerks" and "4 Officers" was one of my least favorite parts of it :crazyeye:

4. Androrc the Orc

Obrigado :) I'll try it out

There aren't any that small :p The way it works is that the population size affects production output, and when an unit reaches 100,000 people, it will split into two units of the same type, one 75,000 and one 25,000 (so that's how population growth is being done). There isn't more micromanagement involved. Immigrants have a default population value that is applied to them (for example, Free Colonists start out as being 25,000), while the population size of units at scenario start is defined in the scenario file itself.

5. Androrc the Orc

YES! I have finally found out how to make it so New France's and France's cities appear correctly when played by a human! :D

The problem was that they started with goody huts in their city radius - that's what was giving the game troubles.

6. Androrc the Orc

For some time now, I am having a crash at exactly turn 52 (it isn't the year; I tried changing the year/turn correlation and it still crashes at turn 52); it occurs right after passing the turn.

Equipped now with the debugging of Visual Studio 2008, I got an indication of what is causing a crash I'm having; it indicates this part of CvCity.h:

Code:
    #ifdef _USRDLL
    	inline PlayerTypes getOwnerINLINE() const
    	{
    		return m_eOwner;
    	}
    #endif

However, this is the original code, so something else is probably causing the crash... Also, when I play with just one player in the scenario, it doesn't crash. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

EDIT: Fixed now :)

7. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

Nice Mod you got going here, looking forward to its developement. I got an example you requested ready. I could not get any of your SDK files to Compile though, not even in the current upload of SOI. I think you may be missing some files in the SDK you added to the download not sure.. it may be my compiler.

Anyway, what I did was modded my Current Version of the Inventor mod to add a cheat pop up. Just download these files copy them into the Inventor SDK then compile that and start the Inventor mod and hopefully you will get an example that works.

When you start the Mod you should see another Gold Icon just above the current one. If you click on that you will get a pop up where you can set Player Gold, Missionary Rate, and Current Tax Rate. Hopefully you can use those as an example to do what you want to do. Any questions just ask.

~Cheers

8. Androrc the Orc

It worked perfectly. Thanks Kailric! :goodjob:

I was able to add in variables as well.

9. VRGS

VRGS Chieftain

Androrc there is a lot of interesting stuff, like those civs and the unique units!
    I will try to join them to mine later.

Valeu.

10. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Chieftain

hi does it have scenarios?

11. Androrc the Orc

Yes, in fact, the mod is playable only as a Earth scenario.

12. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Chieftain

does it have Cities?

13. Androrc the Orc

Why wouldn't it?

Unless you mean by cities something I'm not sure what it is.

14. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Chieftain

A built in Cities that you can continue the game
    Scenario like games

15. Androrc the Orc

Yes. But you might want to wait, as I'm going to release soon a new mod which uses some aspects of this one (including established cities at game start).

16. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Chieftain

I hope Some Events/Scenarios like 7 Years of War

17. Androrc the Orc

It's still in early development, but check out Antarctic Lands: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399469

For now there is only a 1492 scenario, but the plan is to add other starting dates later.

18. rchowhs

rchowhs Chieftain

I think civ China and Muhal can. E added to make E Asia not so empty

19. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Was this mod abandoned too? The link at the OP downloads the older version of this work, one needs to look through the thread to find the most current version...

20. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

It seems it's abandoned... most modders have joined R&R or have left Col and therefore doesn't care about these unfinished projects anymore. It's a pitty, there were really good ideas in many of these mods but only are beta versions with some bugs remaining...