Changes in v. 0.2:
Spoiler :

New Leaders:
*Francis I of Austria
*Louis XVI of France
*Maria Theresa of Austria
*Mem de Sá of New Portugal
*Napoleon III of France

Culverin has been made unbuildable for the time being due to crash problems with it's graphics.

Removed production bonus from rebel sentiment, and added inventions that increase the production modifier for certain yields

Fixed a bug that made the events occurred to the player be "forgotten" by the game after a couple of turns

The Spread of Imperialism is a mod that combines elements of the many mods available in this forum, as well as introducing new elements; it's main features are ability to play on an Earth map, historical events, inventions events that allow certain professions, units and buildings, and leader-changing events. The mod was made with playing using the Earth map (the 1492 scenario) in mind, so it's not recommended to play it on a random map or other scenarios. The mod is still in an early stage of development, so while almost all features are functional, some may seem a bit rough.

So, for the changes. There are historical events for a few civilizations, including ones that change the leader of civilizations. For instance, New England's leader will switch to John Adams through the "United States Election of 1796" event. There are also invention events that will enable new professions, units and buildings as described earlier, for example: at the start of the scenario, the only available military profession is the arquebusier. Later on, an invention event will fire enabling musketeers (renamed soldiers), and that same event will make arquebusiers obsolete (existing arquebusiers will remain in their profession).

Besides the main military profession line, there are also different types of military units; in the late game, a player will be able to recruit Minutemen (starts with Minuteman I promotion), Skirmishers (Skirmisher I promotion), Regulars and Grenadiers (requires 50 coats, is stronger than the other infantry units, and has the Grenadier I promotion).

There are a few civilization specific units and professions, such as the Continental Infantry for New England (replaces Regular).

European civilizations have closed borders and are able to negotiate deals; natives won't give their settlements for free. The civilizations set as playable for now in the scenario are the colonial ones (except for New France, see below in the Known Bugs section), as the European and Native ones have little way of making money yet.

The Europe screen can be accessed from the northeast of the Atlantic Ocean.

Mineral resources ((Iron) Ore, Gold and Silver) can only be mined from tiles that have them as a bonus resource.

The rebel sentiment production modifier has been removed, and inventions can change a yield's production modifier.

Known Bugs:
Can't start with the XML cached
New France will not load up properly when the player is human
Culverin has been made unbuildable for the time being due to crash problems with it's graphics.

Added Civilizations
Spoiler :

Colonial Civilizations:
*Belgian Congo
*German East Africa
*New Portugal
*New Russia

European Civilizations:
*Austria
*Belgium
*Denmark
*Florence
*Ottoman Empire
*Portugal
*Prussia
*Russia
*Scotland
*Sweden

Added Professions
Spoiler :

Professions:
*Arquebusier (regular infantry)
*Buccaneer (only available for Petty Criminals)
*Coffee Planter
*Cossack (light cavalry; Explorer I and Looter promotions)
*Cuirassier (heavy cavalry)
*Dye Planter
*Gold Miner
*Grenadier (heavy infantry; Grenadier I promotion)
*Minuteman (militia; Minuteman I promotion)
*Regular (regular infantry)
*Skirmisher (light infantry; Skirmisher I promotion)
*Swashbuckler (only available for Petty Criminals, requires Rum)

Civilization Specific Professions:
*Austrian Grenadier (replaces Grenadier for Austria)
*British Greenjacket (replaces Skirmisher for England)
*Carolean (replaces Musketeer for Sweden)
*Conquistador (replaces Musketeer for New Spain)
*Continental Cavalry (replaces Cuirassier for New England)
*Continental Infantry (replaces Regular for New England)
*Marine (replaces Musketeer for New France)
*Redcoat (replaces Regular for England)
*Soldaat (replaces Musketeer for Netherlands and New Netherlands)
*Whitecoat (replaces Regular for Austria)

Added Units
Spoiler :

Units:
*Expert Coffee Planter
*Expert Dye Planter
*Expert Gold Miner

Civilization Specific Units:
*Danish Caravel (replaces Caravel for Denmark)
*Huguenot Privateer (replaces Privateer for New France)
*Sea Rover (replaces Privateer for New England)
*Spanish Caravel (replaces Caravel for New Spain and Spain)
*Swedish Caravel (replaces Caravel for Sweden)
*Watergeuzen (replaces Privateer for Netherlands and New Netherlands)

Added Yields
Spoiler :

*Coffee
*Dye
*Gold

Added Leaders
Spoiler :

*Agustin de Ahumada y Villalon of New Spain
*Baranov of New Russia
*Christopher Columbus of New Spain
*Francis I of Austria
*Franz Joseph of Austria
*Frederic Goldsmid of Belgian Congo
*John II of Portugal
*Leopold II of Belgium
*Louis XVI of France
*Maria Theresa of Austria
*Marquis de Vaudreuil of New France
*Martim Afonso de Sousa of New Portugal
*Mem de Sa of New Portugal
*Napoleon III of France
*Pedro II of New Portugal
*Santa Anna of New Spain
*Shaka of the Zulu
*Tokugawa of Japan
*Victoria of England
*von Wissman of German East Africa

Inventions
Spoiler :

*Bronze Muzzle-Loaded Artillery (can trigger from 1550 on, allows Cannon)
*Improved Cavalry Tactics (can trigger from 1550 on, allows Dragoon)
*Musket Armament (can trigger from 1550 on, allows Musketeer)
*Recruit Steppe Horsemen (from 1550, allows Cossack)
*Amalgamation Process (from 1557, +10% Gold and Silver production modifiers)
*Seed Drill (from 1731, +10% Food production modifier)
*Advanced Hull Design (from 1750, allows Frigate)
*Bayonet (from 1750, allows Regular and Minuteman)
*Explosives (from 1750, allows Grenadier)
*Flintlock Rifles (from 1750, allows Skirmisher)
*Improved Cavalry Weapons (from 1750, allows Cuirassier)
*Iron Muzzle-Loaded Artillery (from 1750, allows Artillery)
*Ship of the Line (from 1750, allows Ship of the Line)
*Spinning Jenny (from 1764, +10% Cotton production modifier)
*Cotton Gin (from 1793, +10% Cotton production modifier)
*Sugar Industry (from 1800, +10% Sugar production modifier)
*Tobacco Industry (from 1800, +10% Tobacco production modifier)
*Sharp and Robert's Power Loom (from 1830, +10% Cotton production modifier)
*Hussey and McCormicks Reaping Machine (from 1834, +60% Food production modifier)
*Drying Techniques (from 1845, +20% Coffee production modifier)
*Steel Plows (from 1846, +10% Food production modifier)
*Advanced Ore Roasting Processes (from 1850, +10% Ore production modifier)
*Advanced Ore Grinding Processes (from 1860, +10% Ore production modifier)
*Advanced Ore Smelting Processes (from 1860, +10% Ore production modifier)
*Artificial Fertilizers (from 1860, +2% Coffee, Cotton, Dye, Food and Tobacco production modifiers)
*Dynamite (from 1866, +10% Ore, Gold and Silver production modifiers)
*Carbon Soil Enrichment (from 1880, +2% Coffee, Cotton, Dye, Food and Tobacco production modifiers)
*Steel Alloys (from 1895, +5% Gold and Silver production modifiers)
*Tractors (from 1919, +2% Coffee, Cotton, Dye, Food and Tobacco production modifiers)

Elements taken from the following mods: (sorry if I have forgot any)
Abandon Cities Modcomp
Age of Discovery II
Age of Further Discovery
American Industrial Unit Pack
ColGold
Ein Platz an der Sonne
French and Indian War
Inventor w/ Tech Tree Modcomp
Mare Nostrum
Model Mortally Dangerous Colonization
Multiple Yields Consumed Modcomp
Origins Mod
Privateers, Pirates and Buccaneers
Quest and Glory
Viscos Mod

Many thanks to those who have made these mods.

Special thanks to KJ Jansson, Kailric, Aymerick, orlanth, TC01, drjest2000, EmperorFool, Afforess and deanej.

Very interesting to see how events are working. They are very perspective. I just uploaded your mod and see some details.

I found couple things that you probably fix in next version.

1. You included many original files without any changes. To my opinion you can absolutely safety delete them from your mod. As far as I understand, during loading the game can take all required files from original game.

2. I also recommend to check all new units such way:
- start new game,
- open WordlBuilder
- give to your player all new added units.
If a unit has graphics defects inside, you will get immediately CTD like here:

I always check all new units by this way. It prevents crashes during the game when you or AI produces or receives such unit.

Good luck in your mod development!

Very interesting to see how events are working. They are very perspective. I just uploaded your mod and see some details.

I found couple things that you probably fix in next version.

1. You included many original files without any changes. To my opinion you can absolutely safety delete them from your mod. As far as I understand, during loading the game can take all required files from original game.

Do you know which ones?

2. I also recommend to check all new units such way:
- start new game,
- open WordlBuilder
- give to your player all new added units.
If a unit has graphics defects inside, you will get immediately CTD like here:

I always check all new units by this way. It prevents crashes during the game when you or AI produces or receives such unit.

Thanks, I think the Culverin was the only unit I hadn't checked. I will have them be unbuildable in version 0.2 until I find a better graphic for them.

Good luck in your mod development!

:)

Do you know which ones?

Let's start from the XML/Units/ directory. Sort by "Date Modified". 16 files, 10 files from them are dated before 08.07.2008. I'm sure they are original files. You can compare your files with original ones by using Notepad++. Difference if there is, will be marked on Nav Bar from the right of screen.

Or Assets/Art/ directory and sub-directories. Here there are many unnessary files. Check carefully and delete them. Leave only your new or modified files. Use "Date Modified" in Windows Explorer to find such files. All other could be safety deleted.

Similar with Python and other directories.

I recommend to create a save copy of "The Spread of Imperialism" directory and start clean mod in this or in you original mod directory. If you accidently delete something really necessary, you could very easy restore your losses.

Let's start from the XML/Units/ directory. Sort by "Date Modified". 16 files, 10 files from them are dated before 08.07.2008. I'm sure they are original files. You can compare your files with original ones by using Notepad++. Difference if there is, will be marked on Nav Bar from the right of screen.

Or Assets/Art/ directory and sub-directories. Here there are many unnessary files. Check carefully and delete them. Leave only your new or modified files. Use "Date Modified" in Windows Explorer to find such files. All other could be safety deleted.

Similar with Python and other directories.

I recommend to create a save copy of "The Spread of Imperialism" directory and start clean mod in this or in you original mod directory. If you accidently delete something really necessary, you could very easy restore your losses.

Ok, I will delete those XMLs. I checked the Assets/Art/ folders and all Units are in use, though there are two or three leaderheads that aren't indeed.

How I create a mod.
(a short story, as example I took a mini-mod "1492: Reefs and Weather")

1. I decided to add Reefs as Feature and to add <iTurnDamage> tag for units that enter on tile with Reefs.
As I see such tag is absent in the original game, thus I must compile a new CvGameCoreDLL.dll.

I creates the "1492 Reefs and Weather" directory and copied full directory CvGameCoreDLL in my new directory.

Each source file I changed I copied in new SDK directory (just for modders).

Then all required source files are ready, I compiled a new CvGameCoreDLL.dll. During this process a new directory Assets will appear. My CvGameCoreDLL.dll now is located in this diectory.
Thus, a new mod has now only 1 file (CvGameCoreDLL.dll).

2. I created inside Assets directory new XML/Terrain sub-directories and copied from original Colonization couple files: CIV4FeatureInfos.xml and CIV4TerrainsSchema.xml, where I entered <iTurnDamage> tag.
Thus, now the mod has 3 files.

3. Inside CIV4FeatureInfos.xml you can see TXT_ and ART_ tags. It means that couple new subdirectories must be created.

One of them for TXT files (/Assets/XML/Text) and second one for ART_ files description (Assets/XML/Art/).

3.1. In Assets/XML/Text I created a CIV4Text_ file where all information about Reefs is included.

3.2. In Assets/XML/Art/ directory I copied CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml and CIV4ArtDefines Schema.xml files where all graphic information about Reefs will be presented.

4. As we see, in the CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml file there is information where our graphics should be located:

- Buttons and VarietyButtons should be located in Assets/ART/Interface/Buttons/TerrainFeature directory.

- ModelFile (with anination) will be located in Assets/ART/Terrain/Features/Reefs/ directory.

I created these sub-directories and copied all required dds and animation files.

5. Now the mod has all necessary files for test running. Number of files is minimal:

- CvGameCoreDLL.dll
- CIV4Text_ ....xml file (text description)
- CIV4FeatureInfos.xml and CIV4TerrainsSchema.xml (feature description)
- CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml and CIV4ArtDefines Schema.xml (feature graphics description)
- Reefs.dds (button)
- 15 dss and animation files required to present Reefs in the mod.

Nothing more! I can start mini-mod and see how all is working.....

P.S. Sorry for my English. Here I show just the simpliest way how to create a mod with minimal number of required file.

Personaly, I use Beyond Compare 3 for that... Unfortunatly it's only free for 30 days, but there are other compare software that could do the job...

If you want to try it:
  • Start a new "Folder Compare" session with your mod's Assets folder and the original Assets folder.
  • Using the toolbar buttons :
    1. Expand All folders
    2. Ignore Unimportant Differences
    3. Show Same
    4. Select all (Ctrl + A)
    5. Compare Contents (Makes sure they're the same)
  • Next, Select the files of your Mod's folder showing as being "same"(Left or Right pane)
  • Click "Delete"

This way only modified files will be kept.

Aymerick

Personaly, I use Beyond Compare 3 for that... Unfortunatly it's only free for 30 days, but there are other compare software that could do the job...

If you want to try it:
  • Start a new "Folder Compare" session with your mod's Assets folder and the original Assets folder.
  • Using the toolbar buttons :
    1. Expand All folders
    2. Ignore Unimportant Differences
    3. Show Same
    4. Select all (Ctrl + A)
    5. Compare Contents (Makes sure they're the same)
  • Next, Select the files of your Mod's folder showing as being "same"(Left or Right pane)
  • Click "Delete"

This way only modified files will be kept.

Aymerick

That's an excellent tool, thanks :)

Nice mod so far Androrc, it reminds me favorably of Imperialism 2. The technology events are a particularly cool touch. :goodjob: Are you going to enable it for random maps? It seems like an advantage if I know where things are going to be.

Nice mod so far Androrc, it reminds me favorably of Imperialism 2. The technology events are a particularly cool touch. :goodjob: Are you going to enable it for random maps? It seems like an advantage if I know where things are going to be.

I would like to enable it for random maps, but I would need a random map script like that of Imperialism 2, that is, that creates random "Old World territories in a part of the world and random "New World" territories in another, as well as a way to give European civs more development at random game start.

That's true.. I remembered there's a Civ4 mapscript called PerfectWorld2 that can have certain civs limited to New World and Old World regions, so you might check that out. But just using the Earth map is fine too.

I like your mod a lot so far.. If you're continuing to develop it, I might eventually adopt your DLL in my Colonization 2071 mod if you don't mind, having some of your new technology events would be perfect for that.

One idea is, I think you could add something to the Events to make the player feel he has something to do with whether a technology is discovered, so it doesn't seem to happen passively and randomly which isn't as satisfying. Using the already existing XML, you could make the likelihood of a technology event influenced by the player's development.

For example by using unitsrequired and numunitsglobal, only colonies with at least x Expert Tobacco Planters would be eligible to develop Tobacco Industry ahead of others. Using numplotsrequired and improvementsrequired, only colonies with x number of Farms could be eligible to develop Tractors. Some technologies could require an investment of money using the Eventinfos gold tag. Using PrereqEvents, certain technologies could require the development of other earlier ones. There could be lots of interesting possibilities.

I think you should bring back the production bonus from Rebel Sentiment though. Taking that off makes RS a lot less beneficial which is a big part of the game, and it's not as interesting for production to only go up passively for everyone as events happen over time.

Lastly, another really great possible Event trigger would be to have punitive Events that can happen only when your King's relationship was below a certain attitude level. Mas eu gosto muito do seu mod. Pois, o que acha voce? ;):king:

That's true.. I remembered there's a Civ4 mapscript called PerfectWorld2 that can have certain civs limited to New World and Old World regions, so you might check that out. But just using the Earth map is fine too.

I like your mod a lot so far.. If you're continuing to develop it, I might eventually adopt your DLL in my Colonization 2071 mod if you don't mind, having some of your new technology events would be perfect for that.

Sure, you may use it as you wish.

One idea is, I think you could add something to the Events to make the player feel he has something to do with whether a technology is discovered, so it doesn't seem to happen passively and randomly which isn't as satisfying. Using the already existing XML, you could make the likelihood of a technology event influenced by the player's development.

For example by using unitsrequired and numunitsglobal, only colonies with at least x Expert Tobacco Planters would be eligible to develop Tobacco Industry ahead of others. Using numplotsrequired and improvementsrequired, only colonies with x number of Farms could be eligible to develop Tractors. Some technologies could require an investment of money using the Eventinfos gold tag. Using PrereqEvents, certain technologies could require the development of other earlier ones. There could be lots of interesting possibilities.

Good idea, I'll look into it.

I think you should bring back the production bonus from Rebel Sentiment though. Taking that off makes RS a lot less beneficial which is a big part of the game, and it's not as interesting for production to only go up passively for everyone as events happen over time.

Indeed, gameplay-wise it gets less interesting. But it doesn't make much sense for me for rebel sentiment to increase productivity directly. One idea would be to make it a "Literacy" stat, which would be raised by Bells/Crosses/Education (ideally just Education, but since it can't be permanently made, the other cultural yields raising it wouldn't be too far-fetched, specially Crosses, as education controlled by religious entities was quite important in the period) and would have a similar effect to the original rebel sentiment.

Lastly, another really great possible Event trigger would be to have punitive Events that can happen only when your King's relationship was below a certain attitude level.

That's a nice idea.

Mas eu gosto muito do seu mod. Pois, o que acha voce? ;):king:

Muito obrigado :) By the way, the next version of the mod will have wonders that replace certain final buildings (such as the Cathedral or the Arsenal). For instance, New England can build the Springfield Armory instead of the Arsenal in a city of their choice (but only one city can have it), and it gives a +100% modifier to Guns production instead of the regular +50%. Austria can build the Stephansdom, which besides acting like a normal cathedral, also gives +10 crosses each turn.

Thanks. If you're still making some additions to your DLL, I'll wait a bit for your next version before I try to use it. Having access to some more customizable events XML tags will be awesome :cool:.

Indeed, gameplay-wise it gets less interesting. But it doesn't make much sense for me for rebel sentiment to increase productivity directly. One idea would be to make it a "Literacy" stat, which would be raised by Bells/Crosses/Education (ideally just Education, but since it can't be permanently made, the other cultural yields raising it wouldn't be too far-fetched, specially Crosses, as education controlled by religious entities was quite important in the period) and would have a similar effect to the original rebel sentiment.
True.. I'd think the benefit of local Liberty/RS represents the good governance by the Statesmen. Your Literacy concept does sound like a cool idea though. That would add interest to the game, because currently it doesn't matter where crosses and education are produced. Would you still keep Rebel Sentiment for the military strength bonus and Revolution chance?

Thanks. If you're still making some additions to your DLL, I'll wait a bit for your next version before I try to use it. Having access to some more customizable events XML tags will be awesome :cool:.

All edits in the sdk files are preceded by an "//Androrc" comment, by the way, so you know how to find them.

True.. I'd think the benefit of local Liberty/RS represents the good governance by the Statesmen.

That makes sense, though I see it more as the spread of liberal/enlightenment ideas.

Your Literacy concept does sound like a cool idea though. That would add interest to the game, because currently it doesn't matter where crosses and education are produced. Would you still keep Rebel Sentiment for the military strength bonus and Revolution chance?

Yes, rebel sentiment would still be kept. What do you mean by revolution chance? Being able to do revolution with more than 50% rebel sentiment on average?

I have been working on replacing the Founding Father screen with a technology one:

Spoiler :

Multiple players can have them, and it checks to see if the player already has it (or rather, it's associated trait). When a player rejects developing a certain technology, it will only be ignored until the player researches another technology.

Research points are gained for each unit of a certain type per turn; for instance, Firebrand Preachers contribute to Culture research with a number of points per turn.

I also fixed the transparency problem with the Arquebusier graphics.

All Founding Fathers had to remove from the game.

As I understand now all European civilizations could learn all the tree of technology. Even if some technologies have already studied one of the civilizations. Moreover there is a possibility to reject some technologies. Great! :goodjob:

That would be wonderful and historically accurate!!!

Further information on 0.3:

The cost of technologies are modified by the historical year of each technology (if it is earlier than the historical year, the technology costs +1% per year of difference, capping at +100%; if it is later than the historical year, the technology costs -1% per year of difference, capping at -50%).

The costs of technologies are also modified by the total population of the civilization, being multiplied by 0.10 * Population. This ensures that even small civilizations can be advanced.

New types of modifiers have been added:

Spoiler :

The Aristocrat is an unit which can only work as a Statesman (producing +50% bells than a Free Colonist; Elder Statesmen give +100%), and gives a bonus to resource production. It immigrates on the same rate as Elder Statesmen (ImmigrationWeight of 30 and ImmigrationWeightDecay of 30), cannot be bought in Europe and other units can't become Aristocrats through education. It contributes with 4 research points to Army research and 4 to Culture research. Thanks to AlazkanAssassin for the unit graphics.

The Capitalist has the same effect as the Aristocrat, but for industrial production. It can only work in Town Halls as well, but has no bonus to bell production, and also immigrates on the same rate as Elder Statesmen, cannot be bought in Europe and other units can't become Capitalists through education. It contributes with 8 research points to Commerce research (and so far, is the only unit that contributes to Commerce).

Both Aristocrat and Capitalist bonuses have a base of 10%, there being technologies that modify them.

Sounds enticing.. it's the best of Victoria and Imperialism 2! :king:

Do you think you could include an XML tag to enable some FoundingFathers/ techs to work like the regular game? I'd be interested to include your new techsystem in my mod, though not sure I'd want to lose all the existing FFs..:sad:

One other cool thing to consider for your mod could be re-enabling some Civics choices to be selectable prior to Revolution (though the best ones would be available only after independence). You might also try making natives more challenging, by enabling some buildings etc.

Top Bottom