[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

good news, uncle2fire has made the compatibility file for his pack :)

I ran into a weird error trying to start a game with the latest version of this mod:

The operation was canceled.
at Amplitude.Mercury.Game.Game+<DoStart>d__4.MoveNext () [0x00157] in <0d60dc8054644410bc67020f8d1fa24b>:0
at Amplitude.Coroutine.Run () [0x00019] in <a14efe184f2743708189df7a8d5406c4>:0

here we go
thanks for the log.

are you sure you're using the latest version? that's an error I had with the previous one and more than 10 players, should be fixed.

If you have v1.0.3.3, you said something about the mod still being loaded after you removed it previously, maybe something again with BepInEx cache ?

Cashe did not help, but after deselecting 3 other BepInEx mods (Cognomen, More Religious Tenants and Personas) it loaded without issues. Has to be a mod conflict, me thinks :dunno:

I use Cognomen, but I've not tested the others. Perhaps Personas from the type of error, but I've no idea why the mods would be incompatible with each other.

v1.0.3.4 uploaded on mod.io, now officially compatible with the latest version of Uncle2fire's Culture Super Pack
Code:
load fix: limit the number of player slots by the number of available AI avatars (fix for the "value has to be >=0" error)
compatibility: restore the function to get the TCL.json files from the asset bundle
compatibility: only load TCL.json files from assets bundle of active mods, and unload them if the mod is deactivated

It is very strange: for me it was the Cognomen that was generating the error.

Anyway, there is an additional complication. Somehow I get frequent issues while reloading. Progress goes to 100% and then stops. Never had this bug with earlier versions of the mod or any other mod or vanila situation.

Cognomen required an update too if you hadn't.

Wouldn't it be more fun if you ban AI from transcending if there are available choices unlocked? Some players keep same Ancient culture all the was to modern age .

Spoiler South hemisphere :
test_territory_names.jpg

Spoiler "Europe" :
test_territory_names_europe.jpg

New alpha !

Not a big changelog, but there are quite a lot of lines of code behind that single feature, more than I thought (and dirtier, I'll clean later...)
Code:
- feature: add option to generate TCL on any map

So what this feature ?

It's a new experimental option, when selected the mod will try to group Territories on any map using the Giant Earth Map as reference for coordinates and relative distances, then it convert the TCL list for each faction to use the current map territories, and replace missing territories in lists by the nearest it can found (there are always less territories on generated huge maps than on the Giant Earth Map, ~190 vs 250)

upload_2022-2-14_23-19-13.png

There are 3 types of placement:
  • Grouped by continents: I've exported the Giant Earth Map territories with 6 "continents" (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia), based on the number of Continents on the generated map, some of them will be grouped, and each of the map continent is assigned a group, based on it's relative position, and number of territories. For example with 3 continents the mod will make 3 groups ("Americas", "Eurafrica", "Asiastralia"), and then it will group the territories based on their original continents and relative distance (based on the Giant Earth positions)
  • By Coordinates: the mod will try to place territories based on the minimal distance from the corresponding territory on the Giant Earth coordinates, it still use the continents group to add a penalty on distance for territories that doesn't belong to the determined Continent on that position. Depending on the relative positions of the generated map's continents, you can have territories from a same real world continent placed on 2 separated landmass, or mixed territories from 2 continents on the same landmass. But they should stay relatively grouped.
  • By Coordinates with shift: that the same, but it moves the Americas coordinates to the west side of the map (the Giant Earth has the Americas on the East), this can be used with other custom Earth Maps
Spoiler Coordinates with shift on the Huge Map by Oscar :

Yep, that last option is not perfect, especially because of the territories relative position on the oversized Europe from the Giant Earth Map... But, hey, it's an option! (still, better make a json compatibility file if you want to play on custom maps)

Note that the feature will not be activated on non-wrap maps.

Here is an example of a start on a Generated map using the "By Coordinates" option, I could unlock Egyptians or Nubians in my starting area
Spoiler :
upload_2022-2-14_23-41-14.png

upload_2022-2-14_23-41-56.png

The unlocking lists of territories are of course a bit different, but should not be far from the Giant Earth, and Cultures should start relatively close of their real world neighbors.

upload_2022-2-14_23-44-39.png

And as you can see, a Culture mod that is compatible with the Giant Earth Map like Uncle2fire's Culture Super Pack will be compatible with this new option...

(edit: outdated link removed)

Last edited:
I was participating in Lunar Year community challenge while playing Zhou, Ming and China on your regular Earth map with your penultimate TCL mod (I hope mod stars count, not just vanila unmodded stars). I had a great fun with a lot of historical feel. My main complain is AI abusing transcendence too much. Please force them to change cultures more often. Not always just more often. Without any leader bias Harrapa always stay Harrapa and never Maurya, just to name one culprit. Olmecs are another. Huns are the third, etc. They have plenty of options with conditions met and yet they chose to transcend.

Also, just a side remark: Ancient Era China is having way much easier time with TLC vs without it on same Giant map. On the map without mod "Xiongnu" Assyrian/some other culture AI player gives human/AI Zhou player run for its money just like it was in real life. TLC Zhou has no natural predators in the huge corner of the map, Harrapa being the closest thing to challenge.

Also, I want to ask you as player to player, not player to modder: don't you think HK kind of dropped the ball with Great China Wall mechanics, meaning the lack of it? I was trying to role play with the chain of Garrisons but they just don't feel or look the same. I want a feel of monumental effort with monumental look for all ages, generating defense in Ancient Era and Tourism in Contemporary. And no, don't send me back to Civ :)

For transcendency, AOM's mod stopped working ?

those kind of modifications are not on my radar at this point, there are a lot of things I'd like to try already, and I'm also still waiting to see how moddability evolve (in relation with 3d models like units, now that districts are possible) before putting more time in it.

First off, this is very cool. It's a bit beyond my natural inclinations as a player, but I'm excited simply due to the possibility of some multiplayer tournament one day using this!

TLC Zhou is very fun. I would agree some northern adversary would be a good addition, but it kind of captures a sense of isolation that is quite pleasant without being totally overpowered. Harappa is not a reliable rival due to potential conflict to their west.

I had some debilitating stability problems with the recent patch and realized it probably had something to do with several of AOM's mods that they are no longer supporting. More Resources and Improved AI Culture Selection seemed to be the culprits.

Spoiler Map of the Enets' Known World ~1500 BCE :
Entsy.png

It's been a long journey from the homeland, but we'll make it to a river valley civilization one way or another!

Huge/10/Pangaea with 50% land and Shifted Coordinates. It took a few turns to reveal enough of a region for F3 to tell me anything. By then, I figured I would end up with Assyrians as was the old default. Mortal enemies with our Light Blue neighbors. When a player claimed the Mycenaeans, I looked at the available cultures and realized we would have to settle elsewhere. Well, the map is pretty big and this is what we know of it by Turn 20! Also, no other players have advanced.

This is kind of a fun scenario in its own right where tribes have to migrate to specific zones to settle (if they want to be 'civilized' or whatever). The delay is kind of made up for by the copious amounts of population, influence, and science they arrive with.

Is it your experience that all the players end up selecting a culture? Maybe a more compressed map helps with that. Alternatively, adding some Ancient Era nomadic cultures to fill in some of the regions could be fun.

Top Bottom