[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

Compatibility fix for the "Vitruvian Update" on mod.io, only tested for ~50 turns, let me know if there are issues (with diagnostic logs please)

Attachments

• logs and save.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hi, i managed to play to turn 107 without hanging on load, pushed it to 109 with save/load but its every turn. Here I have the logs and save. Sadly, I've been playing with 5 mods, so you'll need them for the save and maybe some errors from them slip in the logs. The mods in order are More independent people. Vanilla improvement project, Culture superpack, Terrace farm model and the compatibility patch for VIP and Super pack.
can you try with the attached version ?

Attachments

• Gedemon.TrueCultureLocation.1.0.6.1test.zip
    78.1 KB · Views: 40
Try it with the test save I sent you, managed to play until turn 124/25. It doesn't hang every turn load, but every turn you have to wait before you can move any unit or open any panel. Its not that the game crashes or freezes, you cans still move it, but the game won't respond to anything you do. You have to wait some seconds up to a minute or two and then it works again. At turn 124/25/ (not sure), the turn passes but the game stop responding to commands no matter how long you wait.

Could it be that the save was already doomed, so to speak? i'll try a new game when I get home and let you know.

Attachments

• temp and save.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
Tried another game, it started happening at 40 turns or so. Also, i forgot to mention i also use AOM's rainbow mod and improved ai selection, if that affects it in any way

Attachments

• logs and save 2.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
There was quite a lot of change with the Ai in the latest patch, IDK if the Culture mods need an update and if the Improved AI selection mod is still working.

From the log:
Code:
Empire 13 AI run took 389,4 seconds to be executed (0,0 seconds of AI processing and 389,4 seconds waiting for async requests)
so there is definitively an issue somewhere, I'll check the save with the TCL plugin only, it does patch a few AI functions.

I will try it with the plugin only (I imagine rainbow stays on) and without mods and give you an update.

So, I tried another game with no mods, only the alpha plugin, rainbow and GUI tools from mod.io to have autoturn: it gave the same issue. Here are the logs and the save.
Could rainbow and gui tools be the culprits?

Attachments

• Logs and save no mods.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Tried it with no extra players and worked ok for more than 100 turns:

Attachments

• Logs and save no extra civs no mods.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
wondering if this could be map related.

thanks for the logs/save, doing some tests.

Now that the city map is done (@Gedemon , I'm so sorry but I've already made some changes after sending you the files - curse this perfectionism of mine!), I've been working on some suggestions for map tweaks to best have the rivers/geography/names match up. I'll add them here as I get them done!

(Red is for topography changes, Blue is for Rivers, White is Territory Borders - potential divisions in dotted line; Yellow is for IRL country borders)

Spoiler Europe :

Spoiler Map :
HKEuroChanges.png

Europe Ideas - Generally from West to East
Spain:
Add additional tile for Lisbon; Potentially remove mountain tiles from what would be Cádiz/Gibraltar and Granada Tiles; Added Guadiana River
Ireland: Potential added tile for Letterkenny (not vital though)
England: Add tiles for (north to south) Berwick upon Tweed, Hull, and Norwich; Move English border up a tile; Some additional potential rivers
France: River adjustments and Border with Germany/Netherlands fixed to match up with names
Netherlands: Add tile for Rotterdam/The Hague; Shift borders west a bit to line up with potential new name for area: Lotharingia; River Tweaks
Western Mediterranean: Potential idea(s) for representing both Corsica and Sardinia (w/ thick or thin Sardinia)
Germany: Border tweaks; Remove mountain to allow for placement of Bern; outlined potential division based on extent of High German at the Speyer Line; River Tweaks
Italy: Remove mountain at 19, 61 (Florence) and add one 21, 59 (one tile east of Rome, unmarked on map sorry!)
Sweden:
Add tiles for Kalmar and Uddevalla (more coming later for northern part)
Poland: Remove land tile at 23, 74; Border and River adjustments
Danubia: Shifted borders - now represents Austria, Hungary, Czechia, and Slovakia (and Zakarpattia); Remove mountain for Kosice
Balkans: Border tweaks
Greece: Small border tweak with Albania; Potentially remove mountain for Kastoria
Baltics: Border/River adjustments
Romania: Remove mountain for Alba Iulia
Bulgaria: Shrinks a bit
Ukraine: River/border adjustments; Potentially could split north (Dnieper Ukraine/Great Ukraine - Danapris/Magna Ucraina) and south (Wild Fields/Dyke Pole - Loca Deserta) if it feels too large
Russia: Just a little for now but the circled lake should be removed - that's the Rybinsk Reservoir created in the 1930s-40s

Spoiler USA and Canada :

Spoiler Map :
HKUSACan.png

USA and Canada Ideas - Generally from North to South
Alaska:
Sorry it's such a mess! Most of this is just moving mountains around - Circles for adding mountains and slashes for removing them. Also moving two tiles up on the far west side to create a little peninsula. Readjusted the river. Note that the mystery lake in the north should become a mountain. In southern Alaska, 124, 80 should become water, and 125, 80 should become land.
Dene: Expanded a bit. Essentially Yukon plus the Northwestern chunk of the NW Territories. Again mostly moving mountains around, but (26, 88) and (132, 85) should become water.
Nunavut: Removing land tiles. Circled lake tiles should become land.
Athabasca: Separate the lake into two lakes. Neither of the two current lake tiles there in the western part of the territory should remain water. Not sure if the rivers here are possible to do alas. 142, 80 should become water.
British Columbia: Moving mountains around.
Keewatin: Shrunk the borders a bit to more closely match the historic extent. Added a couple rivers. Remove marked land tile in the northern area.
Quebec: Just some rivers and adjustment of the Labrador border.
Saskatchewan: Recommend renaming to Campi Canadienses (Canadian Prairies). Shrunk Lake Winnipeg - should just be the lowest lake tile plus the one marked with a red circle.
Southern Canada: Fixed rivers a bit; Smoothed out the borders but can be left alone if desired.
Oregonia: Remove mountain tile for Helena. Rivers.
Dacota: Remove mountain tile for Lame Deer. Rivers.
Great Lakes: Rivers shifting - Proposed a potential split; Western portion (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri) could be split as Missuria. (EDIT: Alternatively, could just give Missouri (the lowest state in this region) to Louisiana and leave the rest as Great Lakes.)
California: Add tile for Monterey; Remove mountain for Reno.
Nivata: Shuffling moutains around - red lines denote mountains to remove; circles denote either add or remove. Suggest renaming to Oasisamerica.
Southern US:
Moved the Appalachians closer to the coast - Recommend renaming to Appalachia. Remove mountain for Atlanta. Could potentially add tile on the northeast edge for Dover/Delmarva peninsula - not a huge deal though.
Texas: River and border tweaks.

Last edited:
Hi Gedemon, I leaved two comments in the mod.io page but i'll post them here too. They are in regards to a bug with certain world shapes and the TLC in any map:
"Hi! for some reason, since last update the tlc for every map doesn't seems to be working on a Huge map, only large and bellow. Also, f3 doesn't show any name. Just a heads up! :)"
"
I've noticed that it happens when world shape is set to custom and/or when number of continents is random or set manually higher than 4. It works with 2-4 and 3-5 continent numbers, tho.

It only happens on huge, other sizes work fine as far as I've seen."​
I've seen in the Uchronia dev thread that it also had some issues with certain settings before creating a game, so maybe it's also happening in this mod.

Talking about this bug with huge maps, I have logs and save, with the world settings I used. The same settings in a large map with TCL will not work on huge, and it shows "incompatible map" on the logs. It seems Huge maps needs some specific configuration to run the TLC in any map. I've found on the previous patch that anything that stays on "custom" will trigger this bug, but I haven't been able to make it work with standard settings on this build.

I'm uploading two folders with the logs, save file and the world settings I used for the test; one with the large map and the other with huge.

Attachments

• No tlc on huge logs and save.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
More map tweak suggestions: This time Australia - pretty minimal changes overall.

Once again: Red for Geographic Changes, Yellow for National/State Borders (reference only), Blue for Rivers, and White for Province Boundaries. Trying to use better/clearer symbols as well - hopefully a bit easier to follow!

Spoiler Australia :

Spoiler Map :

HKAustralia.png

Changes - By province, vaguely west to east:
Western Australia:
Reshaping of northern coast to better represent the Kimberley region. Tweaked the Swan, Gascoyne and Murchison Rivers. Tweaked eastern border.
Northern Territory: Remove one land tile in the north. Adjusted rivers. ^ tile could be changed to a mountain or plateau to represent Uluru.
South Australia: Expanded/shifted Lake Eyre. Suggest adding Lake Torrens (though it is salt water) south of it. Expanded Eyre Peninsula. Adjusted province boundaries.
Queensland: Shaping the Cape York Peninsula a bit. Add a tile for Brisbane in the eastern edge. Revised rivers - the ones that go into Lake Eyre are seasonal, so maybe could/should be pared down a bit potentially?
New South Wales/Victoria: Minor river tweaks and border adjustments.

Bonus New Zealand - just a change to the river/rivers:
Spoiler Map :

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 4.05.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Southeast Asia - India as well; and some of China, but probably something to hold off on at the moment until I can finish figuring out the mountain/river situation a bit more. Used ^ for places that a mountain should be added and \/ where mountains should be removed.

Spoiler Southeast Asia :

Spoiler Map :

HKSEA.png

Changes - West to East:
Pakistan
- Shifted the Indus River
Ganges - Could change name to Hindustania. Swapped mountains for pass to Tibet. Adjusted rivers.
Maharastra - Add tile for Ratnagiri
Orissa - Gave it the Bihar area from Ganges/Bengal; changed name to Magadha.
Dravidia - Moved border north to match up with language boundary. Thickened the southern tip and flattened mountains to accommodate some important cities.
Bengal - Added tile for Cox's Bazar; Flattened southern mountain for Chittagong; Adjusted rivers and northern mountains
Myanmar - Moved river and adjusted mountains.
Sumatra - Move smaller islands north/northwest. Possibly a mountain for Krakatoa?
Malaysia - Remove extra tile.
Thailand - Adjusted border to get southern part of Laos - flattened some mountains.
Vietnam - Add tile for Thanh Hóa; Adjusted border with China
Cambodia - Add tile for Phan Thiết.
Borneo - Redrew rivers. Added tiles for Singkawang and Kuching
Taiwan - Adjust river.
Philippines - Remove mountain in south; Expand central islands; Redraw Luzon; Extend Palawan and move border accordingly; Add tile for Jolo
Sulawesi - Shrink giant Timor, and replace with smaller islands: Timor, Yamdena, Ambon/Seram, Bacan (or Tidore); Adjusted border accordingly
Papua - Adjust river - add tiles for Aru Islands and Yos Sudarso Island
Philippine Sea - marked tiles for adding Yap and Koror - could be added to the province to the east that has Micronesia.

China - under work, but the lakes should move East (to the circles); Pearl River adjusted. Mountain flip fest in central China.

Southern Africa - A tricky area because of the map's distortion - this region is stretched out a bit, making the regions here look a bit 'taller' than they are in real life. I shifted some of the landforms around using Lake Malawi as a starting point. For reference, Africa south of Lake Malawi is 15 rows here (rows 8-22), but from Lake the southern end of Lake Malawi to Lake Turkana is 11 rows (23-33). In real life, these north-south distances are about the same (~1300 miles). This also puts Madagascar out of alignment a bit, but it appears to more or less be the appropriate size.

Spoiler Southern Africa :

Spoiler Map :
HKSouthernAfrica.png

Changes from South to North:
South Africa
- three new land tiles to thicken up the western part while keeping that signature curve; realigned Orange River; flatten the Drakensberg slightly
Namibia - New tile for Sossusvlei; Added Brandberg Mountain; and overall less severe curve to coast
Zimbabwe - Migrates south to be just Botsuana (Botswana) - should be a dry terrain as the Kalahari makes up most of this territory.
Madagascar - Just tweaked rivers.
Mozambique - Territory borders adjusted; new tile for Pemba
Zambia - Possible name change to Zambezi after the river, which is tweaked. Victoria Falls moves up here and some mountains are flattened.
Angola - Lose a few tiles in the south; gain a land tile in the north.
Congo - Shrinks a bit, more river tiles
Swahili Coast - Readjusted much of the Great Lakes. Add Lake Turkana in the north. Shift the southern mountain over one tile and flatten a couple northern ones.
Gabon - Shift the northern mountain into the sea. One tile added for Port Gentil.

Also includes a sneak peak of West Africa which was squashed in the opposite way and I recommend adding some tiles to the southern edge of the land on the Bight of Benin to fix that a bit.

Middle East - Not too many radical changes here - save for mountain moving in Iran/Afghanistan and a shift of the borders to match the city map. Iran I think is perhaps the most distorted area of the map so things get a bit wonky here.

Spoiler MENA :

Spoiler Map :

HKMENA.png

Changes from West to East:
Egypt
- Could flatten Mount Sinai for Sharm el Sheik, but not a huge issue
Lydia - Tweaked River
Levant - Added Jordan River
Anatolia - River adjustments
Mesopotamia - River adjustments mostly. Full lines are the 'correct' path, but I included dotted lines as well in case it's not possible (I think this was the case like with the Rio de la Plata?)
Assyria - River adjustments
Transcaucasia - Grows a bit; River Adjustment; New tile for Lankaran
Persia and Media - Stretch east; General movement of mountains. There's a salt lake at 46, 54 that could be included - no major settlements there. Minab river moved west.
Afghanistan - Great Mountain Shuffle
Baluchistan - Fewer mountains, added river, New tile for Winder

Last edited:
East Asia - Some minor differences/updates from the Southeast Asia map in the rivers of Sichuan after trying to get the rivers where they need to go!

Spoiler East Asia :

Spoiler Map :
HKChina.png

East Asia from South to North:
Pearl River
- Adjusted borders to encompass the provinces of Guizhou, Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian. Remove one tile in the south. Same river changes as before.
Sichuan - Provinces of Sichuan and Yunnan (and Chongqing). Note that the Mekong has been cut off here in favor of carrying the Yangtze to Tibet - I couldn't get both of them there with the city map and the mountain ranges staying realistic. General moving-around of mountains here and in Tibet.
Kiangnanum - Big change here is the Yangtze river. Not sure if you can get it to go through lakes, but if possible it should where the question mark is. Provinces of Hunan, Jiangxi, Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang. Lakes moved over as in previous map.
Yellow River - Tweaked mountain ranges and eponymous river. Leftmost pink dot is Xi'an - Xianyang would be one tile west and is roughly where the Zhou capital would be. Represents the provinces of Hubei, Henan, Shaanxi, and part of Gansu.
Amdo - Shrunk a bit and aligned with revised mountains. May change slightly after looking at Tarim Basin area. Note lake changes. There should be 2 now, generally in the eastern part.
Korea - Added two tiles for Pohang and Busan. Tweak rivers and borders.
Japan - This area is SUPER distorted, especially the center part. So much so that it's basically impossible to get the rivers right, but I've made some adjustments here. Advise removing the rivers marked with an X. Adjusted the mountains and the coast in the northern area.
Gobi - Represents Gansu and western Inner Mongolia. Western edge may shift depending on Dzungaria area revisions.
Chinese Plain - Adds a couple of tiles for Binzhou and Rizhao. Represents Shanxi, Hebei, and Shandong.
Manchuria - Adjusted Amur river and mountains
Altay and Mongolia - General alignment with Mongolian national borders.

Other: Note that Lake Baikal should move southeast. Also maybe move Okinawa (east of Taiwan) to a Japanese territory based on shared history? (not marked on map)

Mexico - Minor Changes only here mostly
Spoiler Mexico :
Spoiler Map :

HKMexico.png

Northern Mexico - General reduction of mountains, one new mountain in the east
Central Mexico - Fewer mountains; Remove lake; added Balsas River
Yucatán - New tile for Coatzacoalcos; realigned river; Adjusted border with Guatemala/Belize
Central America - New tile for Quetzaltenango; One less mountain

Also just sort of smoothed the borders a bit within Mexico, but not an integral change!

Last edited:
thanks a lot SeelingCat !

I'm still looking at the current performance issue with more than 10 players, but my modding time is a bit limited currently.

Meaning I don't know when I'll update the map at this point but I will do. I'd like some gameplay feedback too, pondering completely removing the islands in the Mediterranean to give more yields to harbors in the North-Africa, Spain, France, Italy area.

I'd also like feedback about movement around rivers in the current version of the map, I'll change the mainstem, but I'm not sure about adding many affluents.

Top Bottom