Modders Guide to Civilization V

You need at least 2 unique things (unit/building/improvement) per civ. You can reuse a unit art define from a unit in the base game, or you just give 2 unique buildings. Note that if you've only been reading Kael's guide, the method for unit art defines has changed.

It still wont show up in game. I think I left out some very significant assets of a new civ. Ill have to go over the guide again and try some other time. thank you to all!

I'm just starting to mess around with modding and was following this guide to make a new civilization but when it comes to trying to add the files on the actions tab I can't do it. I go to the actions tab on the mod's properties, click add, select OnModActivated for event, then UpdateDatabase for the action but then the file drop down menu is greyed out. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I have an xml file with the civilization information in and another for the text entries.

Hey Rob da Mop - any luck on this problem? I have the same issue with just one XML file for text entries, and since the ModWiki says this type of an XML file should NOT be added to the VFS, I am at a dead end.

EDIT: I just figured out my problem here... the solution is to "follow directions closely". My issue was that I had created and edited a text file instead of an XML file... the Action tab recognized my XML file whereas it had been ignoring my text file. So, when adding an item, be sure to select XML file (second choice in the list) instead of text file (bottom choice in the list). Your results may vary, but this one change has solved it for me...

Thanks!

Im Modding The Units for Japan, This is what i did:

<GameData>
<Buildings>
<Update>
<Set Happiness ="100"/>
<Where Type="BUILDING_COLOSSEUM"/>
</Update>
</Buildings>
<Units>
<Update>
<Set Range="100"/>
<Where Type="UNIT_NUCLEAR_MISSILE"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set NukeDamageLevel="4"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Cost="1"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Range="20"/>
<Where Type="UNIT_JAPANESE_ZERO"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set RangedCombat="50"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Cost="1"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set ObsoleteTech="TECH_ELECTRONICS"/>
<Where Type="UNIT_JAPANESE_SAMURI"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Combat="60"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Pillage="false"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Capture="UNITCLASS_SETTLER"/>
<Where Type="UNIT_SETTLER"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Set Moves="3"/>
<Where Type="UNIT_SETTLER"/>
</Update>
</Units>
</GameData>

I can't tell what i di wrong that makes it so none of my changes occur. I know this REALLY overpowers Japan but im testing. I also would like to see a guide for how to change a Civ's UA. Thanks! :D

I have a question. All my icons in my mod are working but just not buildings' icons 45 psx. I have 4 icons in a row for 45. Civilization - working, leader - working, building one - not working, building two - not working. I tried for many many times, resizing, doing it all over but still not working. Any ideas?

What is the total size of your picture? On old GPU (or ones with bad drivers), most textures must have dimensions that are power of two (.., 64, 128, 256, 512, ...). Even if you are only using 45x45 chunks from them.

Hello Everybody!
I Write this post from France, So, be Cool for languages mistakes! I'm rusty !

This is a question for Kael ?

I've translate in French your Civ5 Modder Guide in PDF to and I would like to know if you want me to send it and how?

Very Good Guide and Hope Very Good Translation ! ;)

So, I've a nice day !:)

@Papusone
I doubt Kael answers you: he last posted on those forums six months ago and probably no longer has the time to monitor and answer all of his threads on CF. So if I were you I would not wait too long.

PS: In your translation, did you add a note regarding the VFS? Not importing files into the VFS is a common headaches source for beginners.

360x45... So when I divide it into two rows 180x90 it should work, right? Thank you very much
No, if it's 360x45, then you need to enlarge it to 512x64. Do not scale it up, just add empty space at the right and bottom edges ("enlarge canvas", "size of the canvas", etc, depending on your image editing software).

Power of two is 2^n, so this is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, ... Not just something you can divide by two.

Hello Everyone!

Thank's to you, Donquiche, for your answer! For your last question, about VFS files, no i didn't make a special note for this,(because I've make a true translation of the guide, with some Translator notes), but could be upgrade in the next version of the translation (I've some little thinks to correct in adding notes in WordBuilder chapter), if you specify what's wrong or difficult with that files , and i add the mention you say in detail.

So, If you know how to contact Kael, i appreciate, Because, i should like his agree my translation, by courtesy, and eventually upload it for french users in Civfanatic!

Thank's a lot ! :)

@papusone
I wanted to answer you in PM because I thought you would be more comfortable in French but it appears that you blocked PM (or maybe it's an anti-spam protection because you are a new member).

Rather than translating everything, I prefer to just paste it here. I apologize for the inconvenience for those who do not speak French.
Spoiler :
Pour faire court tu peux tenter d'envoyer un PM à Kael mais le pb est qu'il bosse aujourd'hui comme développeur de jeu aux US, ce qui signifie qu'il doit voir la lumière du jour huit fois par an et passer le reste du temps au boulot. Ne t'étonne donc pas si tu ne reçois pas de réponse.

Concernant le VFS (virtual file system, tu peux voir tous les détails sur le lien et repomper l'image du wiki)... Pour faire simple civ5 n'est pas capable de trouver tes textures si tu ne coches pas la case montrée sur la copie d'écran. Aucune erreur n'est signalée par le jeu et du coup de très nombreux débutants bloquent pendant des heures sans comprendre pourquoi civ5 ne trouve pas leurs images alors qu'ils ont revérifie vingt fois les chemins d'accès et la compression de l'image.

Dans le même genre beaucoup de textures doivent avoir des tailles bien précises (puissances de deux : 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc) pour fonctionner sur certains GPU. Par exemple une image de 350x100 devra être insérée dans une image de 512x128. Là encore civ5 ne renvoie pas d'erreur et se contente de ne pas afficher l'image.

Enfin, concernant la compression DDS, Kael utilise le plugin de photoshop si je ne m'abuse mais on peut mentionner que Paint.net fonctionne aussi.

Thank for your reply and sorry for mine late! For Time Period to contact me, it's doesn't a matter, because I've no hours (unemployment)! For direct contact in PM, i had no set my account, so it's probably that was blocked!

For your request, I agree with you, it's probably an omission from Kael when he wrote his Guide! So i add it in my next release of my Translation!

Sorry for next text in french, it's more easy for me for technical question !;)

Spoiler :
Merci de ta réponse si rapide et en Français! Je présume que tu est toi même un Frenchie et Informaticien. Je suis moi même Chef de Projet au chômage pour cause d'age entre autre (55 ans). Je pense que les PM ne passaient pas , parce que inscris depuis trop peu de temps sur ce site. J'ai configuré mes paramètres, en te rajoutant en contact (et ami, au cas ou). Concernant le SDK, Il semble qu'il y ait des problèmes avec Windows 7 64 Bits, le Modbuddy n'update pas la base de données. J'ai cru d"abord à une erreur de ma part, mais j'ai téléchargé des mods similaires au mien (Ajouts de cités états) et rien à faire! De plus le Unofficial wordbuilder ne fonctionne pas sur la version 64Bits. Je vais donc installer un Seven 32 bits sur VMware, car je suis essentiellement sur Ubuntu 10.04, ma partition Windows 7 64b réelle ne servant qu'aux Jeux! Je te tiendrais au courant des résultats de test et on auras l'occasion d'en reparler!

So, for French user's who want the Kael's Guide in their native language, it is available here in this post at Steam France :

http://www.steam-france.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=960&t=1529

bye for now! :)

You're welcome. :)
I still cannot send you any PM and Steam-France does not publicly offer any way to register an account (I guess the admin had troubles with spam).

Spoiler :
Pour commencer inutile de chercher un problème du côté de l'OS : j'ai fait tourner civ5, modbuddy et les autres sous XP-32, W7-64 et aujourd'hui W8-64. Je n'ai eu aucune problème à signaler. Tu parlais en revanche d'un world builder officieux mais je n'en connais pas (à part In-game editor, IGE, mon propre mod, en un sens).

Tu affirmes que tu ne parviens pas à faire fonctionner d'autres mods. Pourrais-tu en dire davantage ? Serait-ce que tu les as souscris sous Steam et que le téléchargement ne commence pas ? Ou bien ne parviens-tu pas à les activer en jeu (auquel cas, comme j'ai l'usage de le dire, do NOT click "back". Never.) ?

PS : difficile de vieillir dans cette industrie. Je suis plus jeune que toi de deux décennies mais la façon dont elle nous déconsidère avec l'âge a contribuer à me pousser à devenir un éditeur indépendant avant qu'elle ne me pousse à la porte.

Hello Again !

In reply from your last post, this ithe explanation !

Spoiler :
Non j'ai téléchargé des mod aussi bien chez Civfanatics que d'ailleurs ! Le problème c'est que je n'ai aucun messages d'erreurs quels qu'ils soient! Je charge un mod qui rajoute des cités états , je regarde dans la base de données apres avoir tout chargé, rien pas de nouvelles cités états! Avec mon mod idem, j'update bien la base ( que je peux voir dans la base modUser, mais concrètement rien. Finalement, j'ai du modifier les fichiers de bases du jeu, et la cela fonctionne évidemment! Quand à la version UNOFFICIAL Wordbuider, tu peux la trouver chez Civfanatics, elle à l'avantage de passer outres les limites des cartes (notamment la taille des cartes, d'ailleurs j'ai téléchargé un Mod Qui fonctionne très bien [Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v 17)]. Par contre il faut un quad Core mini avec 8 Go! Mais autant Le SDK Fonctionne apparemment correctement, y compris le Wordbuilder Officlel, autant le non officiel ne se lance même pas, il est apparemment soumis au même bug qui à été corrigé sur la version officielle de conflit avec DX11, et donc on devait modifier pour le lancer avec DX9 (J'ai fais un post Chez Steam France la Dessus avec la solution de dépannage avant la mise à jour de Steam). Bref la suite au prochain épisode

Sorry Everybody for the Inconvenience of French chapter, but it"s more easy for me for a detailed explanation ! So Have a good Day or Night, I'm lost with jetlag ! :)

@papusone
Spoiler :
La base ModUser n'est supposée contenir que les préférences de ton mod. Elle n'a rien à voir avec la modification des données du jeu lui-même. Je vois donc mal ce que tu as voulu dire.

Quoi qu'il en soit, comment t'y prends-tu pour installer un mod et quelques autres mods as-tu tenté d'installer? Et ta version de civ5 est-elle légale?

Top Bottom