Modern Era Erebus?

DarkReborn

Dancing Mad
Hi, I would like to purpose a What if ? Just imagine that the peoples of Erebus develop all our current technologies... electricity, vapour power, non-black gunpowder fire weapons, TV, etc...

How would that world be? Would the Bannor clean the filth of the world with their new "Wrath of Junil" (A.k.a: Nuclear weapons)? Which new entertainments and abominations could the Balseraphs create? Such things.

Eyebrows would be raised at the Calabim use of GM crops, except by the Balseraphs who would see the new tech as a potential answer to the world shortage of chaos mana, sparked by the Overcouncil's harsh crackdown on a free economy

The Luchuirp would descend into war with the Ljosalfar after a build up of acid rain that the crazy elven sages blame on their golem factories. The Svalt, unhappy the Ljos have a new number one enemy, look towards the shadow mana dirty bomb

Meanwhile block wars start up in the Kuriotate megacities

The Kazad would suffer from heavy unemployment since they emptied all their mines.
The amurites would find work in the entertainment business, being responsible for special effects.
The malakim would gain great amounts of land due to global warming.
Hyborem buys himself a nice a little villa and enjoys life, since everybody is so nice to his work for him.

Ilians would create White Peace - ecological organization against global warming.
Elven ecoterrorist would sabotage production in Luichup factorys.
In Kuriotates citys Lamias and Centaurs would protest against too small elevators in office buildings.
Balseraph would create new genetic modify vegetables using chaos mana.

Hyborem would be the greatest star on annual death metal concert. (of course the best death metal groups are from Sheaim)

The ease of use brought about by technology such as guns and bombs compared to the years of study required to learn magic and the inevitable invention of technomagical shielding would probably reduce the range of magic to parlor tricks and an easy power supply and perhaps defensive military use. Golems and other magically animated machinery would probably become a more widespread site on the battlefields of Erebus as well.

Of course, the Industrial Revolution that would occur would be greatly accelerated by the ease and availability of "free energy" leading to practical magic items around the household and widespread use of dosmetic magic.

Offensive magic would be much less common as mages would be easily picked off by sharpshooters and assassins, while the aftforementioned charms and runes could be applied or renewed at bases far from the frontlines. Mages would take more of a battlefield engineer / sapper role. This would include repairing charms/runes and also dispelling enemy charms/runes.

I always thought about running 5th era game where magic was nearly gone (there is a finite amount of magic in the world so as more and more casters learned how to do it in the age of rebirth they all became relatively less powerful, until only the simpliest spells were possible). At that point magic became so inefficent to learn/cast that it was simply forgotten or believed to be simply legends.

I imagined it as a very steampunk world built on technical innovation and with little reliance on the gods or sorcery. Gunpowder was king and although there were a few spots of very subtle holy/unholy/magical power they were rare.

During this time a cabal formed and speculated that magic could be powerful again if they could destroy enough of its legacy. Much of it was tied up in creatures with inherent magical ability and old relics from the age of rebirth (which they destroyed) or the age of magic (which they kept for themselves). They hunted these magical creatures down and killed them, hoping to increase their power and spawn a new age of magic.

I thought that most magical energy was drawn from the infinite wells that Agares created?

I thought that most magical energy was drawn from the infinite wells that Agares created?

They are endless sources of those elements. Magic is the ability to control them. Or more specifically magic is the ability to alter the natural laws on some scale. One man exercising that power can have incrediable control, thousands pushing and pulling at creation individually do much less.

I see, I guess that means that magic "dilutes" itself so that almost everyone would know basic spells but no one could conjure horrid beasts and the like? Would anyone be able to tap the endless elemental planes or would they become less accessable as time ground on. (I'm fairly curious because I eventually want to stretch FFH2's tech tree out in MEM)

I see, I guess that means that magic "dilutes" itself so that almost everyone would know basic spells but no one could conjure horrid beasts and the like? Would anyone be able to tap the endless elemental planes or would they become less accessable as time ground on. (I'm fairly curious because I eventually want to stretch FFH2's tech tree out in MEM)

From a lore perspective, less accessable. But dont allow lore to dictate your gameplay decisions, do whatever is more fun. Technically archmages should get less powerful as more and more magic using units are in the game but there is no way we will add that. :)

From a lore perspective, less accessable. But dont allow lore to dictate your gameplay decisions, do whatever is more fun. Technically archmages should get less powerful as more and more magic using units are in the game but there is no way we will add that. :)

LOL, I see a modmod that reduces spell damage and increases resist by 3 for each archmage and 0,5 for each mage :lol:

Either way, FC Junil from the Bannor Empire would win the Champion's League, Malakim immigrants in Kuriotate cities would complain about racism, and orcs would be like third-world country.

Luchuirp would lead in all innovations, like tanks. They would also be the first to discover the quantum theory and relativity.

The Khazad bankers have recently stopped ALL loans, in an effort to stem rising inflation. As a result, unemployment has skyrocketed and the leading Orcish worker's union, the steelworker's union (called Burning Embers) has protested strongly. Riots are expected.

The Doviello biker gangs are causing increasing havoc in major cities, as they slowly unite under a new "pack leader", called C. Don Again.

Elvish leaders rigorously deny that they are in a civil war. Borders to their lands have been closed for months and nonElven residents of the former vacation haven expelled.

The Amurites, have recently had a discovery by their alchemists, something to do with uranium. This seems a fair bet to set them on the world stage.

Due to increased population and better agriculture, Kuriotate settlements have been able to increase exports from nothing to a little, little bit. Excited Kuriotate leaders claim that these new developments are due to a young boy genious, who has been whisked away to a government-sanctioned orphanage and is gaining remarkable political influence for his age.

Across the world, vigilante action by the shady "Angel" society is beginning to fuel an effort to eliminate them... a new mercenary group called "The Infernal Devils" has made the low bid. Several nations have protested this action, claiming that the "Angels" are much more preferable than the "Devils", who themselves carry a bit of a wild-card reputation.

Luichirp panzers and their Malakim guerilla allies are moving across the central deserts in an effort to find Calabim nomad groups, a recluse collection of tribes who are led by "The Faceless", tribal leaders that are always kept shrouded.

Elohim monks, in an effort to reverse the worldwide trend of athiesm, begin mass suicides at holy sites around the world.

Lanun traders are mysteriously disappearing, with all cargo lost, but oddly, this seems to happen only when Lanun ships are carrying FOREIGN cargo.

Hippus troops have staged a surprise blitzkrieg against their Illianer neighbors. Despite protests by the World Overcouncil, no punative action has been taken. Whispers that the invasion was sanctioned by another, secret world council have been seemingly quashed.

The Erebusnet is full of rumors concerning a man nicknamed The Last Mage, who never seems to age and routinely carries an old sword. This man warns of another immortal, a woman, who leads a cult to destroy the world. He points to increasing numbers of suicide bombers around the world as proof. The Overcouncil denies this rumor, but the Bannor police state is mobilizing with no official statement as to why.

The only people that seem to be unaffected by the current events are the Balseraph wanderers, who continue to travel from city to city in mass carnivals. However, in one of these troupes, there is a street actor with an odd reputation. In an interview, he has stated (in character, as always):

"And in these times of bloody fire,
the world shall start it's final pyre.
I've seen it all, and these times,
Sign these signs with minus signs,
to take away life from even death
and bring to hell dread Erebus.

But laugh, fair children, last to be-
for I can laugh after all I've seen.
There's one last trick, a card to play,
and we'll see what will end the day.
But I must say, I'm rather tired
and it may just be time to retire,
and leave this world a little less,
yet all must take a final rest.

I think I'll be done, then. Goodbye."

[Interviewer] "Umm... that's nice, but I asked you how you thought your show went... Hello? Mr. Tach, I'm not done with this interview. Mr. Tach? DAMN."

War is in the air, it seems, and a few people are even claiming to be able to see it in visions. In some Luichirp cities, people claim to see ancient statues blinking, and in some Amurite cities street magicians are gaining large, almost cult followings. In a few backwater places in the world, old stone circles are reputedly glowing softly at night, with echoes of screams from within. And finally, there has been a declaration from the Order holy city... a declaration that there has been a FALL FROM HEAVEN.

(this would be a SWEET modmod, if I knew anything about modding)

It could be even better as FFH 3 ;). I think I'd prefer it to have more of an industrial era focus though.

I could imagine Balseraph society would be at the mercy of Clan Drug barons after being bombarded with some of the finest plant extracts that the jungles have to offer...

The Khazad bankers have recently stopped ALL loans, in an effort to stem rising inflation.

Elohim monks, in an effort to reverse the worldwide trend of athiesm, begin mass suicides at holy sites around the world.

I think the Elohim would start massing Monk warriors at the holy sites, and the Khazad would introduce aluminum as the new standard for currency.

Perpentech on drugs would be an apocalypse all by itself.

Someone would attack and burn down the Song of Autumn, as trees really don't stop tanks and artillery.

And poor Basium would not understand what was going on, while Hyborem would understand it too well. . .

The Malakim would create two different branches of Lugus worshipers, those whom will follow the books that Varn Gosam would write, and those whom would follow the descendants of Varn Gosam.

The Khazad would be at war with the elven city states because of their many violations with the Clean Erebus Act including strip mining and burning down hillside forests for terraced farms and livestock.

The Ashen Veil had been forced into the underground by the militant New World Order, however horrifying blood sacrifices and strange markings have been found in the slums of Galveholme.

Strange crystal formations deep in the earth begin to shine unnaturally and fantastic creatures are sighted and dismissed as urban myths.

A strange boy is elected to lead the Kuriotate Republic, his appearance and mannerisms seem to match the mythical Cardith Lorda.

Reports of a supposedly cursed ghost ship circulate in Lanun Ports wielding 500 year old weaponry able to pierce military ship armor.

Strange murders are popping up in Calabim where bodies popping up completely drained of blood through what appears to be bite marks.

The Amurite government is covering up the results of the Large Hadron Collider's recent test run. Rumors of scientists slaughtered by fantastic explosions of power and otherworldly gaps to other realms have been dismissed as idiotic.

Scandal Widens as the board of the Muris Corporation is arrested.

Amurite police forces, accompanied by a Mage Auxilairy, stormed the Muris Compoound today, after tainted milk sold by the Corporation caused the death of over 1,000 amure children.

I thinking about this for few days. :)

I always thought about running 5th era game where magic was nearly gone (there is a finite amount of magic in the world so as more and more casters learned how to do it in the age of rebirth they all became relatively less powerful, until only the simpliest spells were possible). At that point magic became so inefficent to learn/cast that it was simply forgotten or believed to be simply legends.

I imagined it as a very steampunk world built on technical innovation and with little reliance on the gods or sorcery. Gunpowder was king and although there were a few spots of very subtle holy/unholy/magical power they were rare.

During this time a cabal formed and speculated that magic could be powerful again if they could destroy enough of its legacy. Much of it was tied up in creatures with inherent magical ability and old relics from the age of rebirth (which they destroyed) or the age of magic (which they kept for themselves). They hunted these magical creatures down and killed them, hoping to increase their power and spawn a new age of magic.

Is it possible? I mean adding new techs and/or some python mechanics for removing magic in "Modern Erebus" is possible for FfH2? If it will possible it will great. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom