Modified Vanilla Hotseat Game

I have been thinking about movement rates. I think ground units are reasonable, though 'Alpine - 1/3 movement rate' units may need to be reconsidered early in the game. As the game progresses there will be roads & railroads to help boost the movement of units, but it's still a big map & I wondered what your thoughts were about this.

When it comes to ships I would argue that we should at least double movement rates. Perhaps triple them for Destroyer onwards?

If we're going to make changes then now would be the best time. I guess increasing movement rates won't disadvantage either of us as we are just building our first units. What do you think Bucko?

Yes, this is a reasonable offer. Let's increase. Change the rules. By the way, how do you look at increasing the speed of the settler to 2?
On Sunday I am ready to make moves as much as possible during the day. We need to pass the initial stage as quickly as possible, where "nothing happens" ...

I'll review the movement rates now and submit my proposals to you shortly. I'll play my turn first though.

I should be able to play pretty much all day. I'm working a twelve hour shift, but not expecting to have much to do, so should have plenty of time to play my turns. Touch wood (*English expression asking for good fortune).

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3700 B.C.
When it comes to city placement, I don't think it will make a massive difference in the long run, though it might give certain Civs a short term advantage in the Bronze Age period. There are a few I might alter now, but what's done is done!

Riot in Novgorod (Seen here in happier times)

Attachments

• 3700BC.zip
    45 KB · Views: 111
SHIP MOVEMENT ALTERATIONS:

Galley
- M3 Carry 1 *Must stay close to land TO M6 Carry 1 *Must stay close to land
Trireme - M3 *Must stay close to land TO M6 Carry 1 *Must stay close to land

Caravel
- M4 Carry 2 TO M10 Carry 2
War Galley - M3 Carry 1 *Must stay close to land TO M8 Carry 1 *Must stay close to land

Frigate
- M4 Carry 1 TO M12 Carry 1
Galleon - M4 Carry 3 TO M12 Carry 3
Ship of the Line - M4 Carry 1 TO Move 12 Carry 1

Ironclad
- M3 *Must stay close to land TO M10 *Must stay close to land
Steam Warship - M5 Carry 1 TO M14 Carry 1

Submarine
- M4 TO M16
Destroyer - M6 TO M20 *Can spot Submarines
Cruiser - M6 TO M18 *Remove sub spotting ability
Carrier - M5 TO M16
Battleship - M4 TO M16
AEGIS Cruiser - M6 TO M20 *Can spot submarines
Nuclear Sub - M6 TO M20
Supercarrier - M6 TO M20
Transport - M5 Carry 8 TO M16 Carry 5
Landing Craft - M4 Carry 6 TO M10 Carry 8
Container Ship - M5 Carry 10 TO M18 Carry 10

I will look at ground units next. We will need to change aircraft, but it will be a while before we have to worry about them.

Attachments

• Rules.txt
    63.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Saxons, Latin, Turks - without change.

1280px-Cole_Thomas_The_Course_of_Empire_The_Arcadian_or_Pastoral_State_1836.jpg

You probably noticed in F8 that some of my cities are numbered (they have no names). I have not yet figured out for myself how to give names to cities so that you do not know their location beforehand. ) I intend to give them temporarily "random" names. As you discover them, I will rename them to exact names that correspond to real geography ...)

Attachments

• os_b3650.rar
    36.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I downloaded new rules for myself. Probably, the overall increase in speed is approximately 2.5 times a bit overkill (it was enough just to increase 2 times - the caravel 8 moves, for example). But let it be as you have changed. I agree with your changes.

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3650 B.C.
For some reason Novgorod continued to revolt, even though I'm sure I set production to prevent this. I also noticed the production of one of my Celtic cities appeared to have shifted. I will be double checking this each turn. Just to let you know this may be a Civ2 glitch (if it's not me being careless!)

I was basing the changes on railroad movement. Modern land units with M3 will be able to travel 18 squares along railroads (with a x6 multiplier). I think that modern ships should be able to travel a little faster (20 for Destroyers without wonder bonuses). I also wanted to distinguish between Ancient, Middle Ages, Age of Sail & Industrial age ships. They should now progress in line with land units movement as road networks and then railroads are built.

Nothing is written on stone tablets! If we decide the movement rates need to be altered we can. I would like to use this game to find the best possible stats for my version of the 'Vanilla' game. The best way to work this out is by testing it in combat.

Attachments

• 3650BC.zip
    45.1 KB · Views: 139
SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3650 B.C.
For some reason Novgorod continued to revolt, even though I'm sure I set production to prevent this. I also noticed the production of one of my Celtic cities appeared to have shifted. I will be double checking this each turn. Just to let you know this may be a Civ2 glitch (if it's not me being careless!)

Yes! I also had a glitch in the last move.! In two cities of the civilization of Latin, the production was suddenly accelerated ... It was produced by a soldier in each city, although I am sure that this should not have happened this turn. I thought that probably I was inattentive, and I just forgot from the day before what was being produced ... But now I see that there really is something wrong ....

Unlike you, my bug had a more positive effect, though against my will ...

(Update: I suppose that AI does every move recalculation of corruption and luxury. Probably, therefore, the indicators of production and indicators of trade (influencing the performance of shields, and stability in cities) can be changed ...)

Attachments

• os_b3600.rar
    36.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
It happened again. Moving from a forest with silk to a forest with game. As the game doesn't have trade arrows the city goes into rebellion. As there is a rebellion I can't finish the unit I need to establish order and I don't have enough gold to rush build it! Frustrating, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. As soon as I have enough money (I need 3 gold!) I can solve the issue. I have a feeling this may be to do with the city being size 1 and the Civ2 game engine deciding where to place production. No need to let this derail the game!

Playing turn now.

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3600 B.C.
Hopefully the issue will be resolved next turn. It now only seems to be happening to one city. It's just a shame this is my capital as it has slowed my technology research by several turns. That's life :sad:

The good thing about having three Civs each is that misfortune for one doesn't mean your entire side is behind. These minor setbacks can be compensated for later on.

Attachments

• 3600BC.zip
    45.1 KB · Views: 136
Yes, I agree. This is a very large map. The different pace of development of the 3-civilizations at this stage of the game so far does not say anything ...

Nevertheless, it is very strange that this is happening ... In MGE, I never began to face such problems. In this version, production is placed on my will: strictly where I want (problems can only be with increasing the number of residents in the city). Perhaps this is due to the peculiarities of the format of Hotsit. I've never used this format before. Always used only online multiplayer game via the Internet.

Attachments

• os_b3550.rar
    36.8 KB · Views: 101
It could be a hotseat issue, but I have never encountered it before. Most hotseat games start with cities larger than size 1. I have a feeling this is the issue and don't expect it to continue once they grow to size 2. That's my intuition. You know when you click on a city when in the city screen and it automatically resets production to the AI's liking? I think it's doing this automatically, but only to Novgorod for some reason.

Most likely, AI expose the city's production of the optimal (in the opinion of AI) way. Usually the "optimality" of AI is squares with the maximum increase in food ... AI absolutely does not care that the player may have other priorities and plans for this city ...

Part of my cities for the next move should grow to size 2. Let's see what will happen ...)

Attachments

• os_b3500.rar
    36.9 KB · Views: 93
Cities have grown. Nothing terrible happened ...)

Attachments

• os_b3450.rar
    36.9 KB · Views: 108
In several cities, the riots did happen ...)

Attachments

• os_b3400.rar
    37 KB · Views: 124
Ok )

Riots are ruthlessly suppressed by loyal troops ...
load1461874560_082-1.jpg

Attachments

• os_b3350.rar
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Top Bottom