1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Modmod]Dawn of Knoedel - Comprehensive Rebalance Project

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Imp. Knoedel, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You mean making use of the files that are "already there"? That's not how git works, you need the whole history to reconstruct the current state, so you're able to get incremental updates later whenever Knoedel or me pushes a commit.

1SDAN likes this.
  2. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

I figured something like that, as Git needs to know what the state of affairs of the folder contents is etc.

3. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

Apparently one world builder file called "" isn't working on the current version. There's two of them in the mod folder, neither seems to have "broken" content. I get the error message upon loading the mod.

1SDAN and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  4. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

Bumping last issue and thread. I'm definitely still interested in this, so I hope at some point you'll find time for this project, Knoedel! ;)

5. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, god I'm so sorry, I'll try to progress sooner or later, but because I'm an absolute madman I now have less than two months to write my bachelor's thesis, so I'm making no promises for the near future. :|

Thank you for your support anyway, I really do appreciate it. :hug:

1SDAN and need my speed like this.
  6. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

Yeah, stop posting here and get to work on your Bachelor's! :old:

7. PizzaProwler

PizzaProwler Chieftain

Hope you do well on your thesis! I will still be here anxiously awaiting updates. Your mod is the only way I play RFC these days.

1SDAN likes this.
  8. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

So anyone know what to do about those .gitignore files?

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

What about it?

10. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

The game crashes on me upon loading Knoedel's mod and the error message refers to those "" files. Maybe I'll just delete 'em.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Odd, but yeah you should be able to delete them without consequences.

12. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

Turns out it was the ini that was broken, not one of the unnamed git-related files. So I used "revert" and the original state of affairs (for this version anyway) was recreated, including the two git files. For some reason I had confused several available ini files for this mod. All fine now.

Not sure why "Clean Up" wasn't working though, curious. This tortoise/git thing seems a nice tool.

13. Kojinesha

Kojinesha Chieftain

Can I just say wow? Absolutely fantastic.

14. Imp. Knoedel

~~~~~~~~ UNDER CONSTRUCTION ~~~~~~~~
    So. After being awestruck of Leoreth's amazing progress for the past, oh, half a year I think? I finally got a chance to sit down and play this long awaited 1.15 version. My reaction?

Eh. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. It's not that great. There's a bunch of features and mechanics I'm sorely missing. Where did they go? Oh right, I remembered, I added those features and mechanics in my own modmod I abandoned because I was under the impression that nothing I could do would ever measure up to Leoreth's genius. Well, I figure it's time to get up from my armchair and rise like a phoenix to reclaim my former greatness. Or some such.

The point is, I'm hereby announcing my imminent return to the DoC modmodding scene. Why am I making such a big deal of this, you might ask. Am I just posting this to stroke my ego?

No, quite the opposite actually. In truth all of this is just a setup to some self-deprecating humor:

I was surprised, almost shocked, how quickly I managed to re-add everything I ever did in the DLL. Within the span of two hours I went from setting up the Makefile to compiling everything I wanted to retain with no errors on the first try. I really have to appreciate my past self for being so meticulous about commenting every tiny change I ever made. I just had to do a bunch of CTRL+F "Knoedel" throughout the solution and I gathered everything I needed.

Yep, that was shockingly easy.

Now then, to repeat the same process for the various Python files... where I never commented anything ever at all...

Oh God. Oh Dear Lord. By Marx' beard.

Well, I guess I'll see you all in a week!

Remember kids, COMMENT. EVERYTHING. Your future self will appreciate it or hate your guts if you don't.

spaceman98 and 1SDAN like this.
  15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Comments are helpful, but something else you might try is a manual three way merge. Fancy paid IDEs (like IntelliJ) have this as a built in feature, but you can also replicate it e.g. with two WinMerge sessions. The idea is that if say your modmod is based on 1.14 release and you want to identify and merge its changes into 1.15, open a diff between 1.14 and your modmod and then integrate the identified differences into 1.15. Since your own changeset is presumably much smaller than 1.14 -> 1.15, this is a lot easier to manage than <your modmod> -> 1.15, also because all the changes shown will be your own (whether you remember them or not).

My lack of knowledge/experience with this approach is I think in large parts the reason why my past attempts to merge K-Mod failed and why I'm much more confident about that for another future try.

16. Imp. Knoedel

Well actually, the latest version of my modmod is a weird hybrid between 1.14 and 1.15, as I kept it more or less up to date with your development version on Github right up until that one mega-commit that introduced the new tech tree. Then I just gave up and abandoned it for a year until now.

Still, I shall give it a try.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well substitute 1.14 in my post with that version then.

18. Imp. Knoedel

It's honestly more work to figure out what version that was exactly and then getting that version than just doing what you originally suggested, which is what I am doing now.

Btw what is the rationale behind China starting with an Archer instead of a Militia in 3000BC?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

They start with Tanning.

20. Imp. Knoedel

While I haven't uploaded anything yet, rest assured that I've been making progress. Slow, but steady progress.

Right now I'm in the process of adjusting UHVs. While I'm fine with nudging a few deadlines or specific numbers here and there for most civs, I want to do something more for England. The colonization goal's deadline is 1860 now and would be even later if those bloody Canadians wouldn't get in the way. The Renaissance tech goal has to go, it makes no sense, but Industrial can stay with a little extra.

I really want something else with a 1920 deadline to go with the third goal, and I had the following ideas:

1. Build the Cape to Cairo railroad.
    2. Own x number of railroaded tiles.
    3. Build X Factories.
    4. Own X Towns and Y Workshops.

Thoughts? Further suggestions? Criticism?