1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarchist Cookbook Game 3, Hammurabi of Babylon!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bleys, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Oops. Sorry. My mistake. :blush:

2. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

Its only natural that people plug their saves, although I'm quite happy for people to be negative about my saves as long as the criticism is useful.

Like the man said :-
    "The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about..."

3. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Rebuilding?

Kill Toku -> Whip courthouses -> Start another war.

That's all the rebuilding I have planned. :ar15:

4. Mukuu

Mukuu Chieftain

I like your plan, kill your own people to build them a courthouse, and go back to war. we would all make the best/worst leaders in history. We are so willing to sacrifice people for the greater good...

My vote is for WH... since this BB thing should probably get going

5. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

Hey all, I've got internet hooked up and am slowly getting unpacked in my new place. I should be good to go for the next round.

6. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

Speak for yourself sunshine ! I'm sacrificing them for the Greater Me !!

7. ranion

ranion Chieftain

i never said my save is a gem, quite the opposite infact, i realize i has alot wrong with it. Also, it wasn't an accident that i started the 'take it, dont make it' path after i lost the glh, i saw that it was HC who popped it and i made it a mission to take what was rightfully mine. taking tiwanaku and cuzco would be cake as soon as a cat or two arrived to deal with some of the extraneous cultural defenses. he wouldn't be able to do much to stop 'us' at this point.

8. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

Yes, but you did lose the GLH accidentally (yes ?), and you had no control over where it would pop up, let alone in the same city as the pyramids.

Do you think you can take them soon ? - you have 11 swordsmen, I don't recall seeing any cats.

9. ranion

ranion Chieftain

there are 2 on the way, about at Burgundian iirc, and a couple in queue and maybe a few almost finished, it's a moot point however, since i won't play it through until after i've written an official report from next rounds best ball. its just assumed that its going to be an 'easy' go.

and, no, you're right, i didn't lose the GLH on purpose, and i couldn't control where it popped up, however i did check my wonders screen the turn i lost it to find out who had made it, and when i saw it was everyones favorite wonder spammer HC, who happens to be our neighbour with no metal, well, i couldn't resist gearing up to take it from him. tbh the mids are just an added bonus, i didn't even know they were there until i started scouting.

10. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

He has no metal ??

Oh, this is definitely my second fave save - any more good bits and you'll be my favourite, but I still think we will need to make friends with Toku unless you have a master plan to get him to attack Darius.

The only time I've seen Toku play peacefully is when I've been playing him :(

11. ranion

ranion Chieftain

did you even read my report (actually, to be fair, it is hiding deep within the wall of text)? seriously though, I've mentioned it like 3 times now, thats the reason i bribed khan into war with him, khan was trading him his surplus iron, he had just nabbed Burgundian from the barbs about 3 turns before i could, and that was going to be his only independent source of metal, i took it from him just as he hooked it up, and locked out his other source by bribing khan. I know i made mention of being vexed by his apparent ability to upgrade quechuas to swords and spears without having any metal until i realized that the only place he could be getting it was in trade, which further vexed me because there should have been no way in hell that he had the diplo points with an aggressive AI to wheedle out a strategic resource like that.

to address the toku situation, i didn't plan on being at war with HC long enough to give toku a significant window of opportunity. HBR will be in soon and that means Jumbos are going to be built asap. HC shouldn't require much more beyond what is already in the field and on the way to deal with, which means pretty much all new and updated unit production goes into keeping toku at bay until the veterans get back from the incan front. With shared religion and a left over shared conflict bonus KK wont be getting any ideas anytime soon either.

12. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

I vote for WH's save.

Reasons:
    Strongest Military position
    Tech lead
    Coastal Development

Several other saves are workable and less committed to a certain course of action; but if we are going Best Ball, I think this is it. Moreover, I believe the save still gives a lot of flexibility on where to go next.

13. Bleys

Bleys Deity

OK, its time to announce the next round. No surprise here, the Best Ball for Round 2 goes to Winston Hughes!

Here is the link to his save.

This round will go until 1100 AD. Remember to use Spoilers to post your round, and if you plan to submit a game for consideration, you should avoid reading the reports until after you have played (note, playing, then reading a bit before posting is acceptable, this is an honor system).

Good luck all!

14. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

Looking forward to more learning!!!! *drools*

15. ranion

ranion Chieftain

play it, you may learn even more! thats what i'm doing.

16. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Played my set, not too shabby, but nothing spectacular. Will do the full report later (editing this post), here is the save, though, and a couple screenies:
    Spoiler :
    Toku is dead, but I am assuming he will be in every save. I also grabbed that spot by Darius again, heh.

More later, kind of busy tonight and this weekend to try and get my full report out.

Attached Files:

17. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

Yes but I feel weird coming in part way. I think I will follow this one, ask questions, off opinions and when the next one starts up, I can shadow that one and perhaps make a submission.

Bley... can't wait to read your report, I think that is the best part of these games.....:goodjob:

18. ranion

ranion Chieftain

my round is in too, not much to report, i have a feeling most of the rounds went the same way, and i also have a feeling that the rest of the game isn't going to be much more than a formality at this point.

Spoiler :
    not much important to say, i don't think a detailed blow by blow is overly necessary, and i don't want to make one.

war went quick, i sent 3 stacks, one from where the bulk of the forces from the previous war were sitting in tokyo, one from the north to claim the coastal cities and one from the south to deal with the newer crappier cities on those plains tiles to our northwest. i lost a couple units taking Izumo in the north to really good odds (like 85 and 90% :mad:) and a couple to more acceptable 70% odds taking one of the cities in the south. toku was dead and all his lands mine by 820AD, i had stopped building units and started building infrastructure pretty soon after declaring however, as it became obvious that i wouldn't need reinforcements or that they wouldn't arrive in time to do any good. so my economy was pretty stable after the war in spite of keeping all the cities i took. The wars with toku (and i'm including winstons war here) created 2 great generals (one from winstons, one from mine) i settled one, and the other one is still floating around because i dont know where i should/could settle him and i dont have a medic yet, although that would certainly be a constructive use of him.

after the war i built alot of cheap courthouses and made some lines on a few nice military techs, machinery for maces, engineering for trebs and music for mil trad after lib/nat and hopefully the free great artist. no one on our continent has grabbed music yet (or even started researching it) so unless the lonely ai has decided he wants it for whatever reason then it's probably still up for grabs. i also used the gm that popped to bulb paper, i didn't feel like saving him for a golden age 30 or 40 turns down the road, and i didn't see any reason to settle him or use him for a trade mission. i traded some maps and i now know what the whole continent looks like. ( in pictures to follow)

HC has been building wonders like a mad man, and he is the only one even remotely close to us in tech at this point, i think it makes him a juicy target. once he's dead we can run away with the tech board and stomp the rest of the map into dust. to that end i've moved all the troops from japan to the incan borderlands, and i've started churning out maces and trebs. i'd say we'll be in an excellent position for the next war in about 10 or 15 turns, probably less actually. (we may be ready now, but we would need lots of rolling reinforcements.) we'll have to move quick though because HC built the AP and its Buddhist, so we could very easily be wracked by resolutions to stop the war (we were 6 votes shy of becoming resident, Darius voted for us)

anyways, for those who want them, the pretty end of round pictures.
    Spoiler :
    lets start with our cities

notice, most of the newer japanese citys are building infrastructure and economy buildings while the more established cities are getting ready for war. this is mainly because we already have a nice power lead over hc, he dosnt have much to defend himself with, just longbows mostly, but trebs and maces will deal with those just fine.

and the tech situation

HC will trade optics, it might be worth grabbing that and sending a boat or two off to find our lonely 7th ai. we could probably get it for Music and drama, which wouldn't be too much of a loss, as he would likely try to build the wonders for us rather than trade them off, and he won't get a strategic advantage out of them. :lol:

and some general info

and a quick look at the continent

and finally, why i want to kill HC, see if you can count the wonders (the AP is out of the shot in Tiwanaku) :lol:

also you will notice that HC has no metal, so all his upgraded spears and swords and axes are generated through a trade deal. this also means no x-bows or knights should he tech them before we attack him :goodjob:

Attached Files:

19. ranion

ranion Chieftain

dont feel weird, i mean even if you play it you don't have to post, and you'll learn more first hand by comparing what you did to what other did that may have turned out better.

20. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

I won't be able to take part in this round, playing or voting. I'll be back in a week, give or take a few days.

Have fun...