[POLL] More Wonders for VP

What exclusive Enlightenment Era World Wonders you would like to see added in this mod (max. 3)

• Wat Pho (Thailand) (around1688) tied to Economics

• Buckingam Palace (England) (1703) tied to Navigation

• Paro Taktsang (Bhutan) (1692) tied to EE-Flintlock

• Bell Rock Lighthouse (Scotland) (1810) tied to EE-Wargames

• Yellowstone National Park (USA) (1872) tied to EE-Wargames

• Arc de Triomphe (France) (around 1830) tied to EE-Wargames

• Bastille (France) (from XIV to late XVIII) (but as a prison) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Taman Sari (Indonesia) (1765) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Stone Town (Tanzania) (1830-1840) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Bolshoi Theater (Russia) (1776/1825/1856) tied to EE-Romanticism

• other (suggest in the thread, please)

• Canal du Midi (France) (1681) tied to Navigation

• Fontanna di Trevi (Italy) (1776) tied to Economics

• Modlin Fortress (Poland) (1806) tied to EE-Fortifications

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just noticed that the Theming bonus for Golden Dragon Pagoda is very weak - you have to find/steal/conquer 4 artifacts from consecutive eras from different civs and you get culture and tourism much less (I think more than twice) then placing them in museums

Difference is much more, I just checked -
I have lots of multipliers (play as Indonesia, WLTKD, golden age, and so on) but still it's like 10 culture to 90

Just making sure, is this supposed to work alongside of Wonders Expanded mod?

I checked, the building works well. Each trade route from the city to another civilization brings a +2 :c5culture: bonus and with IGE, there is a good number of dummy buildings in the city.
Thanks. Then there must be something regaring XP income. If you look at the code, then Qalhat is copy/paste thing of Zimababwe with much more complicated requirements (sea, major players etc.). VP guys are busy now so I will do final changes and release 0.8 soon. Waiting for them has no point now.
I just noticed that the Theming bonus for Golden Dragon Pagoda is very weak - you have to find/steal/conquer 4 artifacts from consecutive eras from different civs and you get culture and tourism much less (I think more than twice) then placing them in museums
Bonus that is given by single building is much bigger than others. Quick comparison:
upload_2020-6-16_18-26-26.png

upload_2020-6-16_18-27-0.png

Broadway has 16, museum island 20 and the highest ones are from Schwedagon: 20 and 25. I'm not a tourism player, but giving more is odd for me. How can it be that 2 museums with 5 give more bonus than one Golden Dagon Pagoda with 15?

Just making sure, is this supposed to work alongside of Wonders Expanded mod?
WE was outdated and not compatible with VP anymore. Even if you want to run both mods together it is improssible because I blocked that possibility. With this mod you have same Wonders with slightly or totally changed abilities, tons of more new Wonders, new abilities for buildings coming from VP code and soon new Natural Wonders.

I don't know, but I have 4 artifacts, and if I place them in Golden Dragon Pagoda or in 2 museums the difference in culture generation is big. Seems like placed in museums they get some additional bonus

There are 4 possible stages of filling golden dagon pagoda. Can you tell me what is the difference when you maximize bonus?

Ok, in couple of minutes I will release v0.8 in it's current state. In case if you weren't following what was added, there's brief preview:
Just to assure you next version is not dead and something is coming up I want to give your brief info what's coming up in next release:
  • 5 Industrial era wonders I have ready assets for (Museum Island, Panama Canal, Monte Carlo, Darjeeling and Brooklyn Bridge);
  • massive rework of splash screens (mostly because copyrights); I substituted them with available ones;
  • updated neglected credits file with all needed information regarding new pictures and integrated art from other modmods;
  • new icons for Ait Benhaddou and Buddhas of Bamyan thanks to awesome work of Sukritact;
  • added missing shadows for icons of old wonders;
  • some minor balance things for existing wonders(f.e. Golden Dagon Pagoda gives free Archaeologist insted of 33% GArtP);
  • some important requirements changes (Oracle, Kuk, Majorville Medicine Wheel); they were difficult to build;
  • updated abilities for upcoming industrial wonders; you can see plans for them in main post;
  • some SECRET project I was thinking to create for more than a year! Natural Wonder rework:
    • increased number of NWs per map;
    • all existing NWs will have new yields adjusted to VP standards (f.e. :c5goldenage:, :tourism:, GAdmP, GGenP);
    • all existing NWs will have yield number balanced (lower yields if they add promotion);
    • all existing NWs will add 2 :c5happy: except multitile wonders, which add 1 :c5happy: per tile;
    • for 2 wonders gold on find will be resurrected (Potosi and El Dorado);
    • some wonders will have new abilities, some loose theirs;
    • all existing NWs will have revised movement ability, sight blockade and other parameters;
    • all existing NWs will have new, more original spawning bias:
      • new spawning bias require new approach for spawn frequency, so I did many tests to have all wonders appx the same showdown frequency on default map;
    • some wonders will have fixed spawning (thanks to lua code of my predecessors, whoch I modified even more):
      • Krakatoa (new): no more spawn on small island in center of the ocean; it is always close to at least one big island;
      • Rock of Gibraltar (modified): now more specific spawning location;
      • Great Barrier Reef (modified): now 3-tile wonder (!); much closer to the land; it can be placed in any line possible (was only SE-NW);
      • Lake Victoria (new): requires river and bunch of hills+mountains around;
    • still trying to add new NWs:
      • Salar de Uyuni is added and balanced, but I'm waiting for some VP support, because the only thing missing is model and possible additional unique ability;
    • you can see all current content of my non-released build on the bottom of the first post;

Natural Wonder rework was needed imo. Wonders had bad yields brought back from base game. Some were really powerful, some not. Also their spawning was broken. I hope those changes will make your game even more interesting.

Release date is unknown for now and I cannot promise you one. I'm working now on adding new WWs to the game. Still missing requirements for them. All stuff for NWs is integrated except mentioned model for Salar de Uyuni and maybe some more balancing if I have time.

I also need to look for solution for 2 bugs found by community.

New art for new Natural Wonders:
Spoiler Welcome Giant's Causeway and Mount Everest :
And this is how difficult balancing process looks like for me:
Spoiler NW's frequency :

Additionally some yields changed. I made sv_Icons for new wonders.
Maximum wonder number per Small Fractal map will be 9, but as you can see there are sometimes maps were only 6 or 7 fit. I want to get avg of 8. Limits are set to 1,5 x number_of_players.
And that's current progress for now.

Still waiting for VP Github response about models...

Requirements for upcoming wonders:
View attachment 554760

Another info update for upcoming patch:
  • Peterhof will be regular wonder;
  • Brandenburg Gate will become Imperialism wonder;
  • Some wonders will have longer time to build (if someone uses MaxEraRestriction): all tier 3 policy wonders from Industrial era and Orszaghaz.
  • added max era for all existing wonders;
  • new Bakken icon:
View attachment 554956
PS. I urgently need an artist in my team :p Much work to do and making an art slows me down significantly. An my art is not the best.

@Cat-du-fromage I checked if after reloading game recognizes wonder and sets dummies correctly and I cannot find any issue. I have no idea why you get so much xp. And in your version there is still 2XP from Zimbabwe per TR, and that means you have over 70 dummies! @HungryForFood Do you have any idea why he has such problems in multi if single works correctly?

New stuff - first attempt:
View attachment 555186

Good catch. Petra as changed couple of times and I forgot to delete NoCoast requirement. You cannot build it because your city is coastal. In next release it will be fixed, so Petra will need only Mountain (any not only near) and Desert. Sorry for trouble.

New build for Natural Wonder popup screen:
  • much more info added like: fresh water, damage dealt, tech unlocking passage etc.
  • wider and taller window to fit all stuff;
Spoiler Round 2 :

Additionally some wonders will receive new unique abilities:
  • Promotion for Kailash increaseing mobility of missionaries;
  • Promotion for Uluru increasing influence of diplo units;
  • and some more unique stuff coming... first page info is updated from time to time, so worth looking there.
Also Petra (wrong requirements) and Gate of the Sun (not worked on Lamassu Gate before) fix.

Dev update:
  • Salar is 2-tile wonder;
  • distance bewteen NWs lowered so more of them fit the map, and much often will cap the limit of NWs set in files;
  • some wonders extensively change surrounding area (Everest, Kailash, Sri Pada, Salar);
Dev update:
  • Great Zimbabwe now XP supports Land units instead of all domains;
  • 2 new yields used:
    • Krak des Chevaliers: +1 :c5greatperson: GGenP instead of :c5production:;
    • Falun Mine: +1 :c5greatperson: GGenP instead of :c5production:;
    • Marae Arahurahu: +1 :c5greatperson: GAdmP;
    • House of Trade: +1 :c5greatperson: GAdmP instead of :c5gold:;

They are not released yet, but they will come into play with Natural Wonder patch. It will be huge update, so I must do all the stuff carefully and check multiple things together in case some hidden bugs.
New wonders: Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, Monte Carlo, Museum Island, Brooklyn Bridge and Panama Canal.
Also tons of new additional stuff will be available like requirements for all existing wonders upt to the end of the game, some art fixes, bug fixes, balance issues etc.

I don't know when it will be released. Some things left me to do:
  • those crappy bugs on my list (currently 4);
  • last UI modifications for NWs;
  • few unique abilities for NWs (most of them was today implemented);
  • old icon art rework for renaissance era;
  • probably some NWs balancing;
  • models for NWs if VP guys response? If not I will release with not working models (minor issue);
  • wonder quotes recordings (probably in next iteration);
WWs are ready, restrictions, texts and other minor stuff too.

After long break (I was in the place without tv, internet or phone signal) I made next part of icon rework:
View attachment 557105View attachment 557106View attachment 557107View attachment 557109

Last piece of art for previous wonders. Now all wonders up to industrial have civ5-style icons:
View attachment 557252View attachment 557253View attachment 557254
View attachment 557255View attachment 557256

I mentioned earlier, that I cannot replicate that, so maybe the bug is present in your stable version, but not in my non-released beta (I probably fixed this by the way, even not knowing about that). When 0.8 will be released, first thing you can do is recheck that and let me know :)

As for other bugs, I posted threads on VP github, because I cannot find solution or mistake in my code:
  • rerquirements miss unique buildings and can see only base ones (f.e. they can't see Tabya, but Stone Works yes) even though there's buildingclass in the code.
  • XP issue of Great Zimbabwe is odd. Did someone check if Qalhat (which uses slightly modified lua code like GZ, butinstead of XP there's :c5culture:) works fine?
  • (0.8) resources given by dummy buildings cannot be traded, so some abilities must be changed to give only one copy.
  • (0.8) units which are set to move over mountains move over ice too (I used HoveringUnit=1 and CanMoveImpassable=1; HoveringUnit alone doesn't work). Anyone knows solution for that problem?
Additional info:
  • Etchmiadzin cathedral has experimental version of quote sound made by @pineappledan and his wife. For now, only one quote sound added;
  • All icons for wonders are now VP style; my work maybe not the best, but until some artwoker will help me this must be accepted;
  • [BUG] regarding "(0.8) resources given by dummy buildings cannot be traded, so some abilities must be changed to give only one copy" issue I decreased number of luxuries given to one per tile. You cannot sell them, and if there'are no other such resources they will not be counted towards monopoly. It's VP limitation. Posted on VP github.
  • promotion icons are not finished; waiting for @Asterix Rage's free time; no rush;
  • [BUG] new natural wonders have not working models; posted on VP github;
  • [BUG] zimbabwe has XP problem and qalhat not even using same code; posted on VP github;
  • [BUG] one promotion allows units walk on mountains; you can walk over ice too unfortunately; posted on github;
  • [BUG] unique buildings do not unlock wonders if they require buildings; posted on github;
  • check Floating Gardens bug if it is still present!
  • some wonders have no special abilities; I will be adding them later on;
  • tons of small fixes, balance issues, minor changes, structural changes of the mod;
What will be done soon or much later:
  • small ui change for natural wonder popup allowing centering on NW with button;
  • more sounds with quotes if @pineappledan and his wife record them?
  • additional abilities for last wonders;
  • bugfixing when VP team will check the issues?
  • couple of new WWs?
This is highly BETA version and may contain other bugs, because amount of stuff added is enormous; do not be affraid and report them. Remember to add some logs, screenshots and additional info that would help me with that; I will try to fix them as soon as possible.

Remember to look at first post for most present info about mod content.

OP and github will be updated as well.
New restrictions in OP.

New download link (from Dropbox) because mod has grown and it doesn't allow me to upload it on civfanatics! Tell me if it works correctly, please.

To choose between male and female quote sound see:
upload_2020-6-16_20-25-23.png

Last edited:
There are 4 possible stages of filling golden dagon pagoda. Can you tell me what is the difference when you maximize bonus?
I didn't fill it before I had 4 artifacts from different nations in consecutive eras, then I took those from museums in different cities and after optimizing remaining arts in museums my generated culture dropped.
I looked also at culture generation before adding fourth artifacts, after addition it wasn't much, don't remember exactly, like 20-30 culture(I am in atomic era, Planet Simulator, large, epic, 12, 24 CS, Indonesia, Immortal).
After returning those artifacts to museums, difference was about 100 -120 culture.
Seems as you don't get anything for theming, just losing culture

Ok, then maybe adding other extra yield to that will resolve the thing.
What about other GW wonders? How they work?
Maybe it's because museums have bonuses from other buildings?

Last edited:
I built the Wieliczka Salt Mine in my capital, but my second city's mine didn't get the +1 food. The in-game description says the +1 Food/Mine is a global effet, so I check with the sql file and it looks like a local one. Which one is correct? So I can change the value myself.

I built the Wieliczka Salt Mine in my capital, but my second city's mine didn't get the +1 food. The in-game description says the +1 Food/Mine is a global effet, so I check with the sql file and it looks like a local one. Which one is correct? So I can change the value myself.
Should be local I suppose. Seems like old issue. Description should be changed. Old-style description is ok. Thanks.

I also noticed after uploading that I didn't change description for Natural Wonders adding luxuries, and it still states that NW give 2 copies, not one. Be aware of that.

Hello I have a question does this mod include all of the wonders listed in the OP, or is it incomplete at this time?

v 0.8 breaks compatibility with 43-civ version... my two cents, i think natural wonders should be separate mod unless it can be done without a new assignstartingplots.lua, as this may limit how well this mod plays with others
Ups... didn't know that those files are different. Can you provide me assignstartingplots.lua from your installation? I will do similar changes and post it for you to test.
Hello I have a question does this mod include all of the wonders listed in the OP, or is it incomplete at this time?
Only 5 industrial wonders are available. All earlier are implemented. See here.

In VP 6-19 they say XP bug is fixed. Can you check that?

Last edited:
Ups... didn't know that those files are different. Can you provide me assignstartingplots.lua from your installation? I will do similar changes and post it for you to test.

Attached it (rename to .lua)... note that i already changed # of natural wonders in this file on huge maps from 7 to 17 (it never actually spawns 17 fyi, usually 12-14). This is a default change i make every time i download a new VP... maybe while our focus is on this file we should request that the lua for natural wonders references the world_sizes table instead of these static values buried in the lua, as currently the max natural wonders value in world_sizes is somewhat of an orphan and almost pointless (afaik it has to be changed as well as the lua to get more NW on map), though the lua should be able to call the variable from the table with a completely trivial change. I'll get around to making the request on git in next few days unless someone beats me to it

i still think modding assignstartingplots.lua is not the optimal course, as other mods that similarly do this will conflict unpredictably (already the more resources mod from recent months overwrites this lua, and cannot work with 43 civ).. I am not aware of any others though, so maybe its not a big deal, but fwiw I'd still prefer to have the option to do wonder buildings and natural wonders as separate mod components

Attachments

• AssignStartingPlots - Copy.txt
    537.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Attached it (rename to .lua)... note that i already changed # of natural wonders in this file on huge maps from 7 to 17 (it never actually spawns 17 fyi, usually 12-14). This is a default change i make every time i download a new VP... maybe while our focus is on this file we should request that the lua for natural wonders references the world_sizes table instead of these static values buried in the lua, as currently the max natural wonders value in world_sizes is somewhat of an orphan and almost pointless (afaik it has to be changed as well as the lua to get more NW on map), though the lua should be able to call the variable from the table with a completely trivial change. I'll get around to making the request on git in next few days unless someone beats me to it

i still think modding assignstartingplots.lua is not the optimal course, as other mods that similarly do this will conflict unpredictably (already the more resources mod from recent months overwrites this lua, and cannot work with 43 civ).. I am not aware of any others though, so maybe its not a big deal, but fwiw I'd still prefer to have the option to do wonder buildings and natural wonders as separate mod components
I found solution to have even more natural wonders: lower distance between wonders on map. Increasing limits didn't work as expected.

Changes I made to this file:
  • increased limits for NW;
  • decreased minimum distance betwen NWs;
  • added collisions for multi-tile wonders (initially was only reef, but now there's reworked reef and also salar de uyuni);
When first 2 are optional, then last one is important because without it you may (it is slight chance) get resource on a NW tile which was not initial tile for multi tile wonder. I don't know how to ommit that.

Thanks for file. Tomorrow I will upload new version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom