Multi Victory

Hsinchu

Prince
I think the current Minor sets up this question very well.

What is the hierarchy of victories if one were to get them at the same time? A double victory or triple victory is possible in some cases, particularly if one is milking.

The cultural/domination double victory is particularly synergistic because if you really need just a couple more tiles, and you pop that artist for the last legendary border expansion...

This also provides an interesting idea for a mad mad achievement: Six vics in 2050. (conquest/domination/cultural/space/diplomatic/time).

I think the current Minor sets up this question very well.

What is the hierarchy of victories if one were to get them at the same time? A double victory or triple victory is possible in some cases, particularly if one is milking.

The cultural/domination double victory is particularly synergistic because if you really need just a couple more tiles, and you pop that artist for the last legendary border expansion...

This also provides an interesting idea for a mad mad achievement: Six vics in 2050. (conquest/domination/cultural/space/diplomatic/time).

I have heard that the heirarchy is Conquest>Domination>everything else. Never done it so I don't really know.

Not 100% sure, but I think if you win by any other condition on the turn you'd normally win on time, it still counts as a time victory for HoF purposes..

Not 100% sure, but I think if you win by any other condition on the turn you'd normally win on time, it still counts as a time victory for HoF purposes..

Not so. Whatever the in-game victory comes up as, is the only one that counts for HOF purposes. No idea what the heirachy of victories is though.

Not so. Whatever the in-game victory comes up as, is the only one that counts for HOF purposes. No idea what the heirachy of victories is though.

I'm 100% sure this is true. I have a 2050 Domination win (ruining my Time game) to prove it. FYI, this was considered a Time victory in Vanilla Civ, but in BtS, you get domination, so the heirarchy changed.

I'm 100% sure this is true. I have a 2050 Domination win (ruining my Time game) to prove it. FYI, this was considered a Time victory in Vanilla Civ, but in BtS, you get domination, so the heirarchy changed.

Are you sure the hierarchy changed? I haven't looked at the code, but maybe it is pulling a random number to roll what victory turns up. If that's the case then HOF gauntlets that are "score" based have yet another black mark since a very well played game has an element of luck in order to squeeze out a few more points.

I can just imagine two players who purposely undercut their land from domination for the current major. Literally, 1 or 2 tiles making the incremental point difference given comparable technology, population, and wonders. Moans and groans over map distribution motivating city placement and cultural control being limited by AI randomization.

Then again, maybe I'm making too much of it. HOFers are generally a cordial friendly-ly competitive bunch, right? ;)

positive. On all my old Time victories, I would purposely claim all the land and plant dozens of settlers on the last turn. If you do that in BtS, you get domination, not Time.

I think someone claimed at one point that whether you had moved all your units or not could effect the order type victory types were assigned.

Finding where or how the victory is assigned is not clear in the SDK. It may not even be there. I have gone hunting a couple of times but it is like a maze in there. ;)

for what it's worth... I like vassalization loop, which means I often get both dom and conquest on the final turn... it's always a domination win for me... so from my xp, dom > conquest.

Cheers

edit: BTS edition

Oh me too :rolleyes: A 70-hour Noble-level Time Gauntlet submission *ruined* on the very last turn by one border expansion due to stupid, greedy Mis deciding to take a shrine city a couple of turns before the end for the few extra points having carefully calculated that I could afford the extra 25 tiles but having completely omitted to factor into my calculations the cultural value of the shrine. :wallbash: :suicide: Probably my bleakest civ moment. Domination in 2050AD and of course this occurred the day before submission deadline, so no hope of replaying (although I tried! :lol:).

I'm pretty sure I played Warlords for that one, it was a long time ago, so the change occurred then perhaps.

Speaking of time victories, I'm currently slogging my way through the second one I need for EQM. And :cry: I have global warming. It actually kicked in around half-way through the game, depressingly early. I thought Buffy had fixed it, but I've obviously misunderstood something. I have built forges fairly widely but *nothing* else polluting. It's just ridiculous, it kicks in far too early, far too hard and still on a hair trigger. And yes, it does go jungle to forest to plains to desert but even so ...

Bah! So I'm just playing this endless game watching my population dwindle tragically, my score plummet like a lead thing and my beautiful farms turn to desert. I will *never* play ancient marathon again ...

I was thinking you could use global warming to an advantage if you turn on rising seas, those deserts would suddenly produce 2 food (and so will ice tiles). Your land % will also drop and you can settle more cities without hitting domination.

I finished a Time game last week (to reclaim my Deity/Tiny spot,) but never saw any warming.

That ... is a very good thought. If only I hadn't chosen rain forest ... I know archi/sushi is better, but it's such a pain conquest-wise on marathon :( Plus Sushi is fine (more or less) on later starts from a cultural point of view, but it's a serious problem on ancient.

But yes ... that might work rather well on a more sensible map. Although, in terms of extra expansion, wouldn't the difficulty be finding land to settle those extra cities? If you went for Pangaea, for example, wouldn't you just end up with a dwindling island in the middle of endless -and unsettleable - sea? My problem is that I'm really not great militarily (mostly because I don't enjoy it) so I need a single-land-mass-type map - anything approaching continents is just too much like hard work :blush:

You didn't see any global warming in your latest game? What map type were you using - I'm assuming you went for your tried-and-tested archipelago but ... ? And also, did you go ancient start? I've never had GW on later starts, only on ancient. In fact, when I started this game, I'd pretty much discounted the GW problem based on my experience with Buffy and later starts.

I forgot to mention that I'm using spies like crazy to destroy all Washington's forges - and his workshops etc for good measure, just in case that has some effect - because prior to around 15 future techs it's annoying to have war weariness and, in any event, I need his cities to corrall my cultural boundaries. So he's not polluting at all, unless population counts. I'm sure there's an erudite explanation of how global warming with Buffy works somewhere (frankly, at my age, I might have read the thing and have no memory of it) but I just ran away with the idea that basically GW was gone. Big Mistake. Big Time. :yuck:

Pang. probably wouldn't break up properly to be of any use as you said. Maybe just some medium size islands could split into 2 tiny islands. Rising seas: probably not practical.

My map was Arch, ancient, but I didn't build many forges, factories, etc. No point, what's there to build for 1500 turns? Research, but you can only get 1 tech/turn no matter how high your beaker count is...unless someone knows a trick...

for what it's worth... I like vassalization loop, which means I often get both dom and conquest on the final turn... it's always a domination win for me... so from my xp, dom > conquest.

Cheers

edit: BTS edition

and for me too. :)
In my last warlord game i've won by domination in the same turn i vassallized the last civ remained

I just slogged my way through a deity time game for EQM(was holding off for BUFFY to fix Global Warming) and I didn't have any issues with Global Warming at all.

What were the settings though? Ancient/marathon? Which map?

Pang. probably wouldn't break up properly to be of any use as you said. Maybe just some medium size islands could split into 2 tiny islands. Rising seas: probably not practical.

My map was Arch, ancient, but I didn't build many forges, factories, etc. No point, what's there to build for 1500 turns? Research, but you can only get 1 tech/turn no matter how high your beaker count is...unless someone knows a trick...

Well, I do build forges because the 25% really shortens the build time over all those market/grocer/bank/supermarket/library/uni/observ builds, which means that you get to start researching future tech much earlier. Perhaps I just shouldn't bother. Actually, I've just thought that I built labs a lot too. I suppose that contributes to GW. :sigh:

A tech per turn. I would like to know how to reach that on marathon! I have academies everywhere & it's impossible to squeeze in any more cities ... still only doing 2 techs per 5 turns so I am obviously doing something wrong :confused:

Do recycling centres have any impact on GW?

A tech per turn. I would like to know how to reach that on marathon! I have academies everywhere & it's impossible to squeeze in any more cities ... still only doing 2 techs per 5 turns so I am obviously doing something wrong :confused:

I only had maybe 3 academies. I was way over the 1 tech /turn for the last 300-ish turns. I had 526 future tech. Doing over 48,000 beakers/turn. A FT is advertised as 42,900 beakers, but you can get 1 FT/turn with ~ 34,000 beakers/turn.

Yes, I'm usually at a tech per turn. I'm not sure what went wrong with this game - I wasn't financial or philosophical so I suppose maybe ... I'm going to have to think about this :(

Top Bottom