1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(My first SG)For newbies

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Pequenino, May 20, 2006.

1. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

No, the first-tier techs are cheaper than the later techs. Maybe you could explain it, scoutsout?

2. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Choxorn is correct that 1st tier techs are cheaper. Talking about the "tiers" can be a little confusing, because most types of tiers (like rows of seats at a theater or sports arena) are horizontal. In the Civ tech tree, they are vertical, starting on the left-hand side. Also, the 1st tier techs sometimes seem more expensive, because you earn so little gold in the early turns, and it takes so long to get them.

The AI almost always researches all of the 1st tier techs before going to the 2nd, so if you go for the 2nd tier of a tech your civ starts with, you have a good chance of getting it before the AI's, and it makes good trade bait. Since America starts with Pottery and Masonry, it's impossible to go directly for either of its 2nd tier techs...Mathematics also needs Alphabet first...Map Making needs both Alphabet and Writing.

If you were playing a civ that starts with Ceremonial Burial like Egypt, it would make sense to go for Mysticism first. If you were playing Germany and started with Bronze Working, you could go for Iron Working. Japan has a big advantage in being the only civ to start with the Wheel, which is good for trading, but they can't research Horseback Riding until they learn Warrior Code.

3. Pequenino

Pequenino Chieftain

Alright, now i understand:D

4. The 777 Hoax

The 777 Hoax future skeleton

I've been gone for a few days, sorry 'bout that. I think it's my turn. How many turns should I play?

5. Pequenino

Pequenino Chieftain

the regular 15, until we reach IA , then it goes down to 10

6. The 777 Hoax

The 777 Hoax future skeleton

Alright. Got it. :D

7. choxorn

True. BW, Alpha, and CB all lead directly to a second-tier tech. However, Masonry needs Alpha to get to its second-tier tech, WC and Wheel need each other, and Pottery needs Alpha and Writing. This disadvantages America (start Pottery and Masonry, as we already know), China (starts with WC and Masonry), and Zululand (starts with Pottery and WC), along with more civs in PTW and C3C.

8. goodsmell

goodsmell Psychonaturalist

Gmaharriet about Japan , if they've Wheel they can easly trade it for WarriorCode + gold or more techs , and then go for Horseback riding ..the advantage in early Wheel researching is that you can see where the near Horses located and try to settle there before the AI will , else you won't know about the Horses and then you'll see AI settled on these areas .

since I've horsemen , I don't touch Archers . they're too slow and not that strong . horsemen can retreat and it's helpful .

9. Pequenino

Pequenino Chieftain

But they´re usually tougher against spears, which are th units the AI mostly uses to defend cities in AA

10. goodsmell

look you've more chances to conquer an AI faster with Horsemen than with Archers .
    They've 2 movement points , and actually they both have the same stats of defending and attacking .
    now , we've WC we can produce Archers untill we've the Wheel of course if we'll meet the AI . if we won't meet the AI and will only produce unit to defend our cities it'll be good .

and oh Pequenino I just now realize you did'nt update the roster in the 1st page ;)

11. choxorn

True, Horse vs. Spear, Spear usually seems to win, but Archers and Horsemen have the same odds of beating a spear. Check the combat calculator.

12. goodsmell

Spear doesn't seem to win usually , you think so because in the most of the cases you're attacking a Foritrified spear , am I right ? when the spear is unforitrified with settler or something , you can easily win him .

13. Pequenino

Pequenino Chieftain

Right but since horsemen tend to loose against fortified spears, even though they theoretically have the same odds to win, they are better used against enemy civ attackers (such as Warriors and Swordsmen), while Archers, due to their "luck" (if u want to call it so, since they have the same odds), tend to win against fortified spears, so they are better used against defending enemy cities. By researching WC i was planning ahead, an attack against an enemy city, after all: The best defense is a good offense;) :D :D

14. WilliamOfOrange

WilliamOfOrange King

Hey guys,

My internet was disconnected this weekend and then I will be moving in two weeks. I will likely get it reconnected in the meantime, but I don't really see myself having the ability to contribute either for the next week or for any time after that. Sorry, maybe next time. ;) I will still follow along from time to time, but who knows when I will get email again.

Again, Sorry

15. choxorn

And vice versa. So, William is ghosting, eh? I guess this is a roster:

Pequino
    goodsmell
    choxorn: Just Played
    yagtag: Ghosting
    cody: UP
    Little Corporal: On Deck
    William: Ghosting

16. Pequenino

Pequenino Chieftain

@William: Dam it!:lol: :lol: Well drop some advice from time to time, and if u can play again, i´ll be happy to include u in the roster once more.

So cody, when is that log coming up?????

17. goodsmell

I don't know , I don't really believe what you said is truth . I guess that you decided that Archers are better mabe because the horsemen retreat when he redlined , and Archer does'nt retreat on redline and making miracles :D . but hey , as Infantry can stop a Tank , so warrior can stop a swordman or something , and it can happen more than 5 times in a row .

I don't know how to explain my opinion , I hope you understood .
    well cody we are all waiting for your turnset .

18. Little Corporal

Little Corporal fromage

I haven't played vanilla in a while, does Philosophy give a free tech in it? If so, I recommend we go for the Republic Slingshot, then we can easily catch up to the AI.

19. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Lurker:

No, only C3C has the free tech.

20. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Lots of good discussion in here... but I wish you guys would work on some dotmaps. ;)

I enjoy the discussion about horses and archers v. spears... but it's a bit early for that yet. Something Choxorn posted on the last page provoked some questions in my mind.
    1. Choxorn said something about being "hopelessly alone on this continent". Is this true?
    2. If true, what are the research implications of this?
    3. How might this affect a Vanilla game compared to a C3C game?