My Review of Civilization 6

Nice read Bite, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Pretty much sums up my initial opinion on the game, saves me writing a review of my own! ;)
Good point about the music, it really is the star of the show for me so far.

Pretty much sums up my initial opinion on the game, saves me writing a review of my own! ;)
Good point about the music, it really is the star of the show for me so far.

It is for me too, I'm not sure why people are not liking the music

Having had the change to play a lot more since I wrote my review there are a couple of things that have started to urk me a little.

While I love the art style a number of times I have not realized I am going onto hills because they are not always clear. This leads on to the movement system which now I have played enough to know I don't like it not because it is just change but because it slows the game down unnecessarily.

While the AI is a bit hit and miss, it didn't take long to realize that you needed to put the difficulty way up if you want a challenge.

Also, Gandhi has consistently been friends with me without backstabbing me, I don;t know how to process this yet.

Plenty of other places you can look if you just want to read single issue focused rants.
Maybe he didn't know there was going to be no mention of the completely broken AI before reading it ?
Should he only read posts that are titled "A review of the completely broken AI" ?

I find it *extremely annoying* that I've been able to rename my civ and cities since Civ II (when I started), but I can't in the most advanced version. [In fact, in Civ 3 the cities names could be just about as long as you like, but by Civ 5 the names were limited to 15 characters.] It truly makes me less close to my civilization itself since I have to use the "generic" names. I certainly hope this changes with the first major patch.

Also, Gandhi has consistently been friends with me without backstabbing me, I don;t know how to process this yet.

IKR :confused:. I am actually playing as Ghandi and it seems the other Civs give him a wide berth too. I haven't been Declared War on at all in 240 turns of an Epic game, it is surreal.

Having had the change to play a lot more since I wrote my review there are a couple of things that have started to urk me a little.

While I love the art style a number of times I have not realized I am going onto hills because they are not always clear. This leads on to the movement system which now I have played enough to know I don't like it not because it is just change but because it slows the game down unnecessarily.

While the AI is a bit hit and miss, it didn't take long to realize that you needed to put the difficulty way up if you want a challenge.

The issue I think is diplomacy needs to be rebalanced. Obviously a lot of AI fixes/tweaks as well, but what's lacking right now is diplomatic flavour, if I can summarize it in a few words.

The issue I think is diplomacy needs to be rebalanced. Obviously a lot of AI fixes/tweaks as well, but what's lacking right now is diplomatic flavour, if I can summarize it in a few words.

I think it might be better if they removed the hidden agenda

I think it might be better if they removed the hidden agenda

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but perhaps hidden agenda penalties should scale up so they start out at no penalty and scale up to full penalties later int he game when players get a chance to find out.

What I don't like is the hidden agenda hijacking the diplomatic game early on in the game. Because it will look nonsensical to the player and break immersion. Especially in the context of war declarations and souring of relationships.

The AI can certainly still be free to act on that agenda in most ways if it involves internal economy or focus towards getting largest navy or whatever, but war and denouncements because hidden agenda says so should probably be reserved for later on in the game.

For me, hidden agendas isn't the biggest issue right now. Many of the diplomatic stabilizers in BNW are missing. No friend of my friend, denounced same enemy, enemy of my enemy modifiers to name a few. So the largest single line-item modifier is warmonger penalty, hence all the focus is there.

I actually don't think the warmonger penalty itself is a huge issue and the decay seems reasonable, but it feels a bit like half a system right now.

Hidden agendas are not very hidden. When XXX comes to you and tells you "How can you survive with so little money" or "It's nice you have the same government type as I", you know immediately what the agenda is about.
It would be better to rename them 'random agenda' and stop hiding it because right now it's just obfuscation (i.e. bad UI) but you get the information pretty quickly.

Gotta agree about that "one more turn" feeling being back with a vengeance. I looked at the clock last night and it was 9pm and I thought I had plenty of time; knee deep in a war with Barbarossa and catapulting into the Industrial Age and suddenly it was midnight.

Agree with your assessment! I'm loving this game and looking forward to the UI, bugs and other problems being ironed out.

Hidden agendas are not very hidden. When XXX comes to you and tells you "How can you survive with so little money" or "It's nice you have the same government type as I", you know immediately what the agenda is about.
It would be better to rename them 'random agenda' and stop hiding it because right now it's just obfuscation (i.e. bad UI) but you get the information pretty quickly.

Oh yes they're not difficult to work out, but they just over complicate things I think

Great review. Sums up a lot of how I feel.

I think the bottom line for me and most people (and especially friends I know who are addicted to this game) is that expansions will make this game even better. This is a hugely, hugely complicated game to make. Civ 4 and 5 vanilla weren't truly great until the expansions. Well, hell, Civ 5 was actually pretty mediocre until the expansions.

For an unpatched vanilla game? Yes.
Errr. No.
I'm shelving the game now because the AI is simply so terrible that the game is not challenging,, not fun.
Considering the probability of getting back to it in case fo a patch, it's likely I won't ever play Civ VI again, won't buy DLC, won't buy expansions.
So, no, it's not a minor problem.

Great review. Sums up a lot of how I feel.

I think the bottom line for me and most people (and especially friends I know who are addicted to this game) is that expansions will make this game even better. This is a hugely, hugely complicated game to make. Civ 4 and 5 vanilla weren't truly great until the expansions. Well, hell, Civ 5 was actually pretty mediocre until the expansions.

Indeed, but the more I play Civ 6 the more I wish they had put a bit more polish into the launch title

Errr. No.
I'm shelving the game now because the AI is simply so terrible that the game is not challenging,, not fun.
Considering the probability of getting back to it in case fo a patch, it's likely I won't ever play Civ VI again, won't buy DLC, won't buy expansions.
Ouch! :undecide:

Errr. No.

If you're not liking the AI, play it in multiplayer with friends like I do and you'll have a lot of fun, unless one of your friends takes 5 minutes to decide where to move, but you have turn timers for that

Top Bottom