[BTS] My Very First Deity Shadow Game Ever! It's finally time...(Re-Roll Edition)

I had a feeling you would.
First map was random climate & sea level as well. Ended up tropical low sea.

This is what deity low sea low prod feels like :
Spoiler :

Actually the best settings for speedrunning.

LMAOOOO that was funny!!

Fippy took secret option 3: new map so I decided to reroll again :D

Spoiler New Start :

Now we get Shaka...
20220824113214_1.jpg

I've become my own worst enemy. Like the previous two leaders, one useful trait and one useless trait.

Settings are normal everything. Temperate climate and medium sea level.

And here is our new start!
20220824113525_1.jpg

Well at least we start with hunting!:goodjob:

I think this one is pretty straightforward. SIP, build worker, farm dry rice, (all while teching AH>BW) then camp elephants or pigs whichever comes first. Then we chop 1st settler, settle a nice city to share cottages with, tech construction, and curve-stomp over the pathetic AI's with my ELEPHANTS >:)

(I mean I'm Shaka the warmonger, might as well stay in character. Everyone's in this map is gonna pretty much hate me haha)

Then again, maybe if I move scout 2W to PH it might reveal something even better.

@Fippy are we onboard with this one?

Attachments

• Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37 KB · Views: 20
:lol: superb video BIC.
Regular settings yay, fine yup ;)
Sorry for all the complaining about maps, but better to waste some time now than days on a painful game.

I have to disagree with something again thou, default option = settle on Jumbos.
They are a decent tile when improved, but with 2h at start you get your worker in 10t.
With no forested plains hill in sight, it would take 15t with SIP.

But ofc move your scout first, 2w or 2e are both valid options.
First big decision will most likely be AH first or not, with Agri + Hunting as starting techs i usually lean towards AH.
Dry rice isn't hot as food.
Then again there are many many forests, so BW first will be much discussed.

Reactions: CGQ
Shaka gets a 10 turns worker if you settle on the ivory and has both pre-requisites for animal husbandry.
The only resource that could possibly be lost is 2N1W on plains.

Store your beakers for the first 5 turns (unselect tech) and you will get some extra when they are all added together and the discounts are factored.
I'm not 100% sure but there is a good chance you get to improve the pigs first, perhaps wasting a single worker turn in the process.

This is a very nice start.

But ofc move your scout first
Yes. Pre-plans on T0 should not prevent from re-assessing.
Also true about BW being a consideration. Pigs are likely to be the best food tile, though. There are rivers for commerce. A couple of hills can be mined before BW comes in.
In the dark, this is 100% AH first for me. Growing on a 4F tile is always so painful :)

Glad you enjoyed :lol:
Edited for x-post.

Last edited:
Depending on the timing for AH, there are some adjustements you can make :
- work 1F2H -> 6H/t into worker
- work 2F1H1C (!) -> 5H/t into worker

Leading to several scenarios :
- 10T worker
- 11T worker (30H + 30H gaining 6 commerce)
- 12T worker (gaining 12 commerce)

I would re-assess the city's management as early as T0 and then probably on T5 when it is time to pick a tech :)

Wait, wait, don't go ! There's more ! :old: :lol:

If you wanna go AH first and need to shave a turn of research,
Spoiler :
Then you should use the first 6 turns to work 2F1H1C, because you're then doing 10C per turn, which divides nicely.
On turn 5, when you select your tech, you will unleash 50 beakers into the pool with a whopping 40% increase due to discounts
If you were to do it the other way (work 2F1H1C last), then you would only unleash 45 beakers into the pool, which does not divide nicely

This is it, right there ! I give it to you ! Due to rounding, when you overflow into your next tech, this amounts to a whole single extra beaker !
Has there ever been a better bargain ? Tell me, I ask you !

(Yes, this is quite incidental ; timing the worker with AH is a good idea, otoh.)

If you're unsure about your tech, you should, however, maximize production during the first 5 turns.

Wait, wait, don't go ! There's more ! :old: :lol:

If you wanna go AH first and need to shave a turn of research,
Spoiler :
Then you should use the first 6 turns to work 2F1H1C, because you're then doing 10C per turn, which divides nicely.
On turn 5, when you select your tech, you will unleash 50 beakers into the pool with a whopping 40% increase due to discounts
If you were to do it the other way (work 2F1H1C last), then you would only unleash 45 beakers into the pool, which does not divide nicely

This is it, right there ! I give it to you ! Due to rounding, when you overflow into your next tech, this amounts to a whole single extra beaker !
Has there ever been a better bargain ? Tell me, I ask you !

(Yes, this is quite incidental ; timing the worker with AH is a good idea, otoh.)

If you're unsure about your tech, you should, however, maximize production during the first 5 turns.

Spoiler Played to Turn 11 :

Settled on the 'Phants:
20220902211915_1.jpg

Turn 1 and we already meet our first AI...
20220902212640_1.jpg

He may not be aggressive but he grows like a weed....
20220902212907_1.jpg

Makin' great use of that Deity settler I see Joao!

20220902213448_1.jpg

Turn 11: We meet Sitting Bull:
20220902220053_1.jpg

Here's the state of empire at Turn 11:
20220902220153_1.jpg

Worker is in and on top of pigs. AH is coming next turn so timing is perfect. Cap will work 3F Rice for now to grow and make 2nd warrior. How's this looking so far?

Attachments

• Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-3560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    60 KB · Views: 14
Looks fine, good timing on AH (with BiC's help :)).
I clicked next turn so we know if you have horsies
Spoiler :
they are 1w of pigs :goodjob:
That makes everything much easier. Wheel before the expensive mining + BW could make sense now.
(open spoiler if you want to discuss techs)

When would you chooses to go HAs over elephants? I would pick elephants every time if I had to pick. Looks like there’s enough room for 4/5 cities if you grab the cow by joao first. Ikkandas will help with teaching to con fast and you could also failgold pyramids. So what advantage would HAs have here?

Looks fine, good timing on AH (with BiC's help :)).
I clicked next turn so we know if you have horsies
Spoiler :
they are 1w of pigs :goodjob:
That makes everything much easier. Wheel before the expensive mining + BW could make sense now.
(open spoiler if you want to discuss techs)

Thank you everyone for the advice :)

Spoiler Played to Turn 22 :

I start teching The Wheel, AH comes out and worker improves cows.

Turn 16: We meet our next AI Vicky:
20220906111542_1.jpg

I know that "food is king" but since the horses are right next to the workers would it make sense to improve them then the rice? From a Deity standpoint I figure the barb defense would help but then again I'd need roads to hook them up anyways...
20220906111714_1.jpg

Decided to improve rice first. Won't be able to use horses anyways 'till I get TW and "Food is king!" :)
20220906112206_1.jpg

Turn 21 TW arrives. Turn 22, 1st warrior kills barb archer and worker finishes dry rice. Cap switches to settler and worker will head on over to horse to improve them then build road to them and ultimately the 1st city:
20220906112433_1.jpg

I'm not sure if I should've finished the 2nd warrior then switched to settler. Next city could go 1S of cows and later on definitely a city maybe 1N1W of horses.

Attachments

• Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-3120.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.4 KB · Views: 12
Imo horsies are a better tile than improved dry rice here.
Maybe on BW beelines +1 food is better, but Ulundi isn't hurrying towards whipping.
You can plan this for yourself :) Screenie shows settler next, which tile gives more yield now?

Imo horsies are a better tile than improved dry rice here.
Maybe on BW beelines +1 food is better, but Ulundi isn't hurrying towards whipping.
You can plan this for yourself :) Screenie shows settler next, which tile gives more yield now?

Spoiler Played to Turn 35 :

You were right. Horsies first is better. Now I can get my settler out like 5 turns sooner! Plus I was even able to get out an extra warrior! On that note, I will settle 2S of cows to take advantage of AH. Meanwhile worker will road to the new city spot while also hooking up horse and pigs while settler builds:
20220906203415_1.jpg

Ugh I know it's Deity but I'm sooo tempted to do it. Should I? Is it a good idea? He's right there just mocking me:cry:
20220906204215_1.jpg

Sorry I just couldn't resist:lol:
20220906204612_1.jpg

I mean this jack-o-doodle-do already has so many advantages, surely he'll willing to help a fellow civ out!

I either made a very good move or the stupidest mistake of my empire's life. Guess we'll see in a matter of time...

Turn 28: Mining arrives. Our "Stolen" worker makes into our burgeoning nation:
20220906204927_1.jpg

Our 2nd warrior keeps a lookout in case our pal Joao decides to try something on us. Now our next objective is to make peace and cheer him up after stealing his precious little worker:
20220906205048_1.jpg

Our new worker will help finish the road to our 1st city. It works out perfect! Then they will both improve cows and rice in that order.

Ugh. Our workers weren't able to build the road all the way in time so it'll cost us 1 turn. No big deal but still. Cap and second city will build chariots for barbs and hopefully to protect against Joao:
20220906205641_1.jpg

Yuh he's pretty pissed...
20220906210002_1.jpg

I'm not one to make enemies but then again, I am a ruthless raging warmonger in this game so I might as well stay in character...
20220906211110_1.jpg

ummm...

Then again...

Maybe that wasn't my best of ideas.

Is this salvageable or is it "reload time"? I take it I may be screwed here lol.

[/S1POILER]

Attachments

• Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-2600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    80.5 KB · Views: 11
Well learning Deity is about failing fast…This shows the dangers of messing around with things like worker steal!

Technically probably still salvageable (at least for a while) but I don’t think it’s worth it. I would reload before the worker steal.

I wouldn't recommend worker stealing on deity without some woodsmanII-dude or access to higher strength units. Without them it's hard to sue for peace. Though perhaps if you can settle a hilled city and have archers.

Looking at the screenshots, I'd try to find a different timing for starting a settler. Having all that :food: in the bar is iffy. Try to either have close to zero :food: in the bar or grow to 3. Former requires you to possibly work different tiles after worker is out. Do some calculations and you'll get a hang of it.

Also another minor thing: don’t Road the pigs (already on the river). Road the forest north or south, saves a turn later when chopping.

I wouldn't recommend worker stealing on deity without some woodsmanII-dude or access to higher strength units. Without them it's hard to sue for peace. Though perhaps if you can settle a hilled city and have archers.

Looking at the screenshots, I'd try to find a different timing for starting a settler. Having all that :food: in the bar is iffy. Try to either have close to zero :food: in the bar or grow to 3. Former requires you to possibly work different tiles after worker is out. Do some calculations and you'll get a hang of it.

Spoiler Replayed to Turn 36 :

Okay so far so good, went back and reloaded and this time let Joao keep his worker. I mean, why settle for just his worker, when I can have his WHOLE EMPIRE
20220907105754_1.jpg

This time I started building settler upon reaching size 2. This got my 2nd city settled about 3 turns sooner! Thanks for the tip Sampsa!

After 1st settler I switched to 2nd worker. Then after worker I built chariot. 2nd worker finished road to 1st city then went over to improve 'phants. After 1st worker finished cows he went on to improve rice.
20220907110017_1.jpg

Yikes Joao II has FOUR cities now! We need to get those HA's up and running ASAP. What do you guys suggest now?

I'm thinking to grow to size 3 then chop 2nd settler and settle at 1N1W of horse. (Granted I'd need fishing to make use of that spot, unless there's a better spot.)
I think 3 cities should be plenty for a HA rush given how many forests we have here.

After BW maybe Pottery for cottages then Writing or go straight to HB Riding after pottery? We can whip too since we have a bit of extra happiness from the 'Phants too so maybe one whip per city.

Attachments

• Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-2560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    80.7 KB · Views: 12
Not your fault cos we are late with advice, but i am sceptical about BW now that i looked at everything.
What can we actually whip or chop now for a 3-city HA rush. No granaries or libraries yet, only 1 more settler needed.
There aren't many green rivers open before chopping, but 2 cottages would already help imo.
So i think fishing - pottery first could have been better, maybe something to consider for future games.

Back to where we are, fishing + pottery after BW is set in stone. Cheap granaries & making use of some river tiles.
Take fishing first, makes pottery a bit cheaper and needed anyways for city 3.

I guess writing pays off before HBR.
Can use Joao for foreign traderoutes, and Ulundi with a granary should be able to get a library fast.
But it's not that clear, maybe pause before going there.

Not your fault cos we are late with advice, but i am sceptical about BW now that i looked at everything.
What can we actually whip or chop now for a 3-city HA rush. No granaries or libraries yet, only 1 more settler needed.
There aren't many green rivers open before chopping, but 2 cottages would already help imo.
So i think fishing - pottery first could have been better, maybe something to consider for future games.

Back to where we are, fishing + pottery after BW is set in stone. Cheap granaries & making use of some river tiles.
Take fishing first, makes pottery a bit cheaper and needed anyways for city 3.

I guess writing pays off before HBR.
Can use Joao for foreign traderoutes, and Ulundi with a granary should be able to get a library fast.
But it's not that clear, maybe pause before going there.

Spoiler Played to Turn 49 :

Turn 40: BW is about to arrive. Made chariot then switched to settler at size 3. Will tech Fishing>Pottery after BW. 2nd Worker building mine, then will build Ikanda at size 3 after chariot. Worker just finished Rice and will chop settler next:
20220907160435_1.jpg

Settler arriving next turn, chops will go into new worker on 1st city:
20220907160940_1.jpg

Turn 46: Fishing arrives and our 2nd city is settled. Worker immediately begins chopping WB while the other finishes road to the city. We will build cottages as soon as Pottery arrives:
20220907161337_1.jpg

Eek! Looks like Joao already has writing! I opened borders with him and will build a road to him for trade routes soon (with the 3rd worker built right now in capital)
20220907161418_1.jpg

Turn 47:
20220907161740_1.jpg

Here we are today:
20220907162108_1.jpg

Not sure what to do with worker 1N of horses. He can't build cottage and I know I need to save some forests for HA rush later. Would be nice if we had pottery now to get a jump start on cottages. Other worker is building road to Joao in the meantime and I will use my chariot to scout his land shortly.

Attachments

• 20220907161132_1.jpg
    20220907161132_1.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Carlos Deity Noob Reroller II BC-2040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    103.9 KB · Views: 12
Yup it's the small research hole when going BW early.
Unit costs are already at 2g/turn so no more warriors.

I think this situation asks for another city, Mgungu could build a settler.
And Ulundi Ikhanda after worker, switching to granary at pottery.

Just wondering where that city should go..with Cre it would be easy, 2w of floodplains for a plainscow.
I have no good ideas, maybe someone else does.

Top Bottom