My Warhammer Thread

By the way, I forgot to mention that we played the Space Marine Adventures board game. It's pretty fun and I'd recommend it even if you aren't a fan of Warhammer. It'll cost you about $40 USD. It's a cooperative board game where up to four players try to complete an objective and then escape the level, almost like an extremely light tabletop RPG. Regardless of the number of players you have, there are always four space marines in your team and if you complete the level with all space marines still alive it's a "major victory", three is a "minor victory", two is a draw, and one or no surviving space marines is a defeat.

There are three levels you can play on six different maps to allow for some variety. Each level has different objectives and they can each be played as a standalone game or you can string them together as a campaign. The game doesn't take that long to play either as once we got the hang of it, we were able to complete a full three level campaign in about two hours.

I won't go into too much detail explaining every little game mechanic, but I will say the game is pretty easy to learn. It's mostly card-based with minimal dice rolling and even though the box says it's for ages 8 and older, my youngest daughter who will be 4 in a couple weeks was able to understand it and play with help from me and my wife. Which is good, because she has been wanting to get involved whenever she sees us playing games of 40k, but she's obviously too young for a full-on tabletop wargames like that. This board game allows her to actually participate in something Warhammer-related with the rest of us.
Does it have good replayability? I've hemmed and hawed over the Space Marine Adventures game but wasn't sure if it would only be a one-off.

I think it does. While the objectives never change, enemy spawns are kind of random since they are determined by drawing cards from a shuffled deck and the parts where you do have to roll the dice add some randomization that can make each playthrough unique. They also have a special deck of cards that add additional challenges to the game. We haven't tried those yet, so I can't comment specifically on them, but I'm sure they add replay value as well.

There are also special ability cards for the space marines that give them a one-use bonus during the game, so you can play with different bonuses on different space marines to try different play styles.

Board games are one of my big passions, and I have two Warhammer games, both of which are punishingly hard (as I primarily play them by myself as my wife has little interest in WH, even though they are both co-op).

Space Hulk: Death Angel is fun and fast and you basically make your way through levels towards your objective as genestealers mess everything up.
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is an adaptation of the fantasy universe, and you play as a team of heroes following a campaign against progressively harder and harder hordes and bosses. I really like the design and implementation, but I am so frustrated because I have tried playing so many times and still haven't beaten the campaign.

I can see what she is talking about. The paint on the pauldrons seems a bit gloopy, like it didn't go down evenly. Perhaps use matte white, watered down a bit to cover it up?

It's the paint I'm using. That particular color (cream) just will not go on evenly no matter what I try. But it's pretty much a perfect match for Blood Raven pauldrons which is why I'm hesitant to give up using it. I'm hoping when the decals show up and I put them on, it will cover most of it up anyway.

EDIT: I will try your suggestion to clean it up a bit though.
I never used decals, but my understanding from making model railroad buildings is that any imperfections in the surface will be magnified by decals, especially if they are gloss decals.

Anyhow, since I've commented on your paint jobs, here are some of my models. Its probably been a decade since I last worked on them and some are unfinished.

Frankish heavy cavalry

A collection of some Dark Age infantry and archers

A close up of the very first model I ever painted, back in 6th grade:

Some unfinished Frankish infantry, showing off the drybrushing and highlighting on the capes. Never got around to basing or mounting shield/spears.

EDIT: And somehow I ended up with a crapton of archers, like 60+ archers. Dafuq was I thinking when I bought that many? Should have bought more infantry.
Also wondering where my Byzantine Command pack figures ended up. Never got around to painting them, but they were some nice figures: custom models for Belisarius, Narses, John of Antioch, and some assorted command/standard figures.

Last edited:
So, I just used dull acrylic paints, but the painting guide I have suggests painting the horses in acrylic, then choosing an oil paint of the same hue and applying it to the horse before wiping it off quick. Apparently that will give a nice sheen to the horse.

I was about to post a new thread discussing Warhammer when this suggested thread came up. Pardon the necro.

So I'm more interested in the Warhammer lore than model making. I'm really into the Horus Heresy of War Hammer 40K. Anyone else here believe in purging the xenos as the Emperor commands us?

What I've found difficult when it comes to recent theme-switching is this recent idea of 'progress'. Specifically the Primaris Marines. 40k was about the erosion of the present, where everything gets worse. But, this whole time, there's been the ongoing (secret) ability to make something better.

I am still having trouble with the narrative shift, too. The 40k I grew up in, the "Imperium" was barely one. It was basically a giant constant mess where worlds had minimal information regarding the going-ons of the Imperium as a whole and it was basically momentum keeping it running more than a grand plan or leadership. The galaxy is big. Really big. Big to the point where the origins of various Chapters is lost in history.

I get why they forwarded the meta-plot, lots of franchises turn a setting into a story. I basically watch the Tyranid story more than the rest. In White Wolf, what they did was have various non-cohesive metaphysics for each, um, faction and then it was a grand mess having to switch paradigms. I enjoyed that in 40k as well, where whatever metaphysics the Necrons followed were just not compatible with those of, say, the orks.

Deadline, 16 Dec 2022 - "Henry Cavill To Star In & EP ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Film & TV Franchise As Amazon Studios Acquires Rights To Games Workshop Brand"

Deadline said:
Amazon Studios has made it official, confirming that it has secured global rights to the Warhammer 40,000 game from Games Workshop for Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) to star in and executive produce the franchise across all Amazon Studios productions. The agreement encompasses rights to the universe across TV series, film and likely games and animation.

I played Warhammer Ancient Battles back in middle school, but the playgroup broke up and Ancient Battles never was super common stateside.
I played some of the pen and paper RPG Dark Heresy in college, and I have an enjoyment of Warhammer 40k lore.

I've toyed with making a small army (probably AdMech) but don't really feel like putting in the time, money, and effort for something that may only be used once.

I have once bought some figures (they were wh fantasy), but painting isn't for me :)
As for the factions in wh40K, I like the Tau, because they seem to be a mind-controlled hive with superior tech and zero warrior-culture.

Top Bottom