Mystical Asia - Development Thread

The Vikings would have probably reached Asia, if they did so, through the now-Russian river system. It definitely got them to the Black and the Caspian Seas. The Byzantines had an elite force of Vikings in their military and these easily could have fought in the Middle East at some point. I doubt they got much further east than the Ural Mountains/Aral Sea/edge of the Persian Gulf area.

Perhaps some of the invaders could be given more technologicaly advanced units rather than mythical units? Like access to cannons for example?

Actually at this point in time( I am thinking we're talking Medieval Ages), many of the Asian countries were very advanced. After all, it was the Chinese who developed gunpowder, and the earliest incantation of the printing press. The Arabs were the ones who kept knowledge alive during the dark ages, establishing libraries wich saved countless Greek works. Japan was very advanced too, if I'm correct. I'm not sure on India or Mongolia, though.

Mongolia wasn't particularly advanced, but they sure kicked everybody's ass on the battlefield.

India wasn't amazingly advanced, but they were known for their valuable recources, and there art, music, culture and architecture

How 'bout a Welsh dragon instead of a western dragon?

How about for Japanese mythological creature be a Kappa? Wikipedia Link
Seems like a completely Japanese myth. It could be another aquatic unit, like the Kraken. Also, for the Kraken, here's the Wikipedia Link.

Fascinating mod idea. :)

But a few notes:
1) China's hero could be Yao (no, not Yao Ming ;) ). Yao was one of the great sage kings in Chinese mythology who brought order to the world.
2) If you're using mythological names for rulers and units, then you can have ancient names for each of these civs as well. For example- China=Tianxia ("All Under Heaven"; an archaic term used to refer to the Middle Kingdom); Japan=Wa (an old name for Japan); India=Ayodya (the kingdom where Rama came from)
3) Jimmu was NOT a Shogun, but an emperor. Shoguns were military dictators who ruled after the Shogunate system was established where the emperor was a mere figurehead.

I have also heard Japan referred to a Nippon. And for France or Germany you could have the leader be Charlemagne. Then either one would be the Holy Roman Empire.

Edit: My 100th post! :D :banana: :banana: [party] :banana: :banana: :D

Hope you're not getting tired of me on this thread :) :

Resource: Jade?
Units: perhaps you could replace some of the barbarian animals with random Asian mythical units/beasts/animals?

For buildings and civics, raiding other mods (fantasy based and medievil/ancient) might be a good idea. Perhaps there could be a religious civic which would reduce the cost of mythical units somewhat?

Kevjm, if he's gettiing tired of you, he must be sick of me. :) I think there should be a whole new line of Civic options, like religion, labor, market, etc. It should deal with myth units. I'll think up some, but I've got to go right now. Anyone have suggestions?

Ok, here's what I've got for Civics: Mythology. I list 7 but I think we should only include 5. My name's stink, suggestions? Please tell me if the effect is overpowered, underpowered, useless, or it stinks.

Name: Acceptance
Upkeep: Low
Effect: Basic Mythology Civic
Comments: You accept what's going on around you. You don't understand it, but that's ok

Name: Fortune-Bringers
Upkeep: low
Effect: Each myth unit brings +1:) to the city it's in.
Comments: Mythological creatures obvously are good omens, and the more you see them the better off you are.

Name: Honor
Upkeep: Med
Effect: +1 exp points for Myth units, -20% production cost for myth units.
Comments: You show honor and respect towards nature, the Universe, and her creatures. The creatures respond to this respect by becoming more willing to fight for you and more knowledgeable.

Name: Fame
Upkeep: High
Effect: Each myth Unit gives +1 culture to the city it's in for every 2 XP it has.
Comments: Some cities become famous for their mythology, or the modern day equivalent. Think of how much culture the Loch Ness monster has brought to Inverness.

Name: Worship
Upkeep: High
Effect: You may build a shrine in a city(req temple). Whenever you create your myth unit you get 1 free myth unit extra! Whenever you switch to another mythology civic the shrine loses it's benefits(except for Skepticism, see below).
Comments: You worship the kind and caring gods who give you success. They in turn bless you with more creatures to war on the heathens!

Name: Skepticism
Upkeep: low
Effect: You can also build shrines, but instead of the units, they give you +4 culture. Same as above, switching to another civic ends the benfits, except for Worship, which replaces it.
Comments: This represents a time in which people take the old legends with a grain of salt. Take for istance Athens. The Parthenon is kind of a shrine to their mythology, and though people no longer beleive in the Greek gods, they still know about them as interesting myths.

Name: Disbeleif
Upkeep: Med
Effect: +50% production cost for myth units, -50% for UUs.
Comments: Since your people no longer need to waste any time worshipping silly fairies and the such, they can devote their time to what's really important, namely, your wars.

Nice ideas. How about renaming acceptance to ignorance ;)

The exp. bonus' might not be enough depending on other experience-affecting buildings in the mod.
For the disbelief, it might be a little hard to disbelieve when there's a 40ft dragon sitting on the city gates :)

Civman, will the myth units be end-game units or will they become available near the beginning? Or is that still undecided?

Edit: Or is that going to vary from civ to civ?

Perhaps have a civic called resistance or something, which you cannot build mythical units whilst you're in, but all your units get a bonus vs mythical units

Thing is, Germany is a very new country- perhaps they could be replaced by the Holy Roman Empire, Prussia or just Teutons? Personally, I think Teutons would be best, Prussia seems a bit too imperial for the mod. I have a feeling you'll prefere HRE over my othersuggestions, if you decide to change it at all.

AndyTerry said:
Germany - Kaiser
Vikings - Konung

Or perhaps you're refering to Germanic tribes and the mentioning of Kaiser just made me think of modern Germany :)

Top Bottom