1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth01- Training Day- Regent

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by mythmonster2, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

lurker's comment: Has everyone played their opening turnset? I've crossed off the ones I see. Have I missed any?

Roster
    Mythmonster2 -- skipped
    pol1
    Pinman
    Open
    ngraner42
    Commando Bob

2. Pinman

Pinman Demons & Brazil

I played my set but it was terrible.

Spoiler :

I'll finish later.

3. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Pinman, even if your turnset was poorly played (as opposed to the result of bad RNG luck), I'd recommend posting a turnlog. This is a TDG and mistakes are part of it. Unless someone sees your mistakes, they can't help you learn from them.

4. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Hey, sorry, my computer time is getting limited, but I'm gonna play my turnset now!

5. stainless_steel

stainless_steel Chieftain

Hi everyone!

I can't continue playing in this SG. Real life has stepped in the way (unfortunately, it has a way of doing that).

Can you continue without me? Maybe someone can take my place?

6. mythmonster2

Awww, sorry. So, I guess we have an open slot then for a newbie.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chieftain

Well I'm not a CIV III newbie but I'd be an SG newbie. I play on Emporer, going to attempt DG after my current game. I use CA II (almost feels like cheating :blush: ) but it seems many of you do the same. I've read many of these SGs but never thought of signing up for one until now. Admittedly I'm signing up for this one because it's all that's available atm :p but that doesn't mean I won't give it my best effort. I could play a 20 turn turnset tomorrow if you'll take me in.

8. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Welcome to CFC, Sasquatch! :band:

Myth, where's that set you were going to play?

9. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Sasquatch, welcome to the Forum!

:dance: :banana: :woohoo:

We've had a player drop out, so I don't think it would hurt anyone's feelings if you played 20 turns from the save and posted your results.

Playing an SG is very different from a solo game. More discussion (unless you talk with yourself!), better planning and more focus, since each person usually has only 10 turns of playing at a time.

10. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

lurker's comment: I'll watch along, and offer some advice now and again if keep up.

11. mythmonster2

Hey, ummmm sorry, RL has gotten in my way, it may be a while before I can post my set.

12. darski

darski Regent in Training

lurker's comment: I was really counting on learning a good bit from reading this SG. What does protocol require at this point? is the game dead or can the rest of you go on while Myth catches up later or could you start another game in its place? Like I said, I don't know the SOP for this event.

13. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

There are several possibilities that I've seen before. This is Myth's game and he may choose to continue it later. I'd give him more time before declaring it dead, unless he says so.

Most SG's have at least one strong leader/player. It will usually be the person who starts the game...a good example would be TheOverseer714 who, although a fairly new player at first, has held together his SGFN series through 4 games so far.

It could also be a single strong teacher/player who is willing to take charge and keep the game moving by skipping slow players, adding new players if an old one drops out, and generally keeping a game on track. Bede is an excellent example of a strong leader/teacher, but I've never seen him do a training game below Emperor.

A third possibility, which usually works well only with all fairly strong, experienced players, is to just carry on without a leader, but it takes a committment from all the team members to show up, participate in discussions and play their turns on a timely basis.

Another way is to start an "open" game, where one person sets up a game with no actual team members and invites any interested player to pick up a turnset whenever they have the time or the interest. I believe Daghdah did one as a space shot just before Christmas that was going pretty well, but I don't think it ever completed or had a lift-off.

I suppose there could be many other variations on the above, but most often you need somebody to be in charge and keep things organized.

14. ngraner42

ngraner42 Ultrarunner

How about we give Mythmonster a skip and have Pinman continue on with the pol1 save.

15. darski

darski Regent in Training

Thank you for your excellent post. I'll be watching in case. :)

16. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

The decision really belongs to mythmonster2. He is trying to play his first 20 but he has to share the PC with his dad. His dad may view the game as pure foolishness and make it hard for him to get any play time in.

If mythmonster is not able to get his turns posted by next Monday (February 11) I think we should select the best save of those posted and proceed with the game.

17. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

lurker's comment: I agree, an SG runs on momentum, and this one is losing momentum. I've seen some really nice ideas and fun SG's just....die. It really is kind of sad to see:( If I weren't so busy, I might try to revive some of them.:deadhorse:

18. mythmonster2

Yeah, you'll have to skip me. To be short, my dad's trying to take over my life.

19. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Let's give you the status of First Lurker. When you get the chance we can let play a turnset or two.

What was wrong with your save? Didn't you already have a settler built?

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

lurker's comment: You should vote on which of the 3 saves is the best. I also liked ngraner's, although CBob's isn't bad either.