N. Am. w/ Stonehenge

2. I get that, but you could have probably researched IW a lot quicker if you had been able to run scientists. With 6 cities, I'm sure you were hurting for commerce. You can still research at 0% with scientists. They aren't great without rep, but they'll help you limp to currency, which is your most important tech if you're gonna found 5 or 6 cities early and fast.
3. I didn't open your save, but I'm betting someone here could probably salvage it. I'd need to look at the save to really see what's going on under the hood, though.
4. ICS=Infinite City Sprawl. The name of the game in civ 3 was to just cram as many cities as close together as possible. You'd have an insane amount of corruption, but it didn't matter.
5. In that case, we're on the same level then. I used to win reliably on Monarch. And to be perfectly honest, I'm probably knowledgeable enough to win on Emperor too, but I have an awful case of not being able to hang with games long enough to know. If I play a game for a couple of hours and then try to come back to it later, I almost always just end up quitting and starting a new game. It's debilitating, and I'm not quite sure how to break the habit. Before I had kids, I was able to play an entire game in one sitting. That's just not feasible these days, although I'm dying to actually get to Riflemen!
Lol.

Well, here's my next game. Suryavarman, and my main advantage is going to be that I see most of the map surrounding me early on, so I can plan out my cities pretty well.

What do you think I should do?
upload_2020-5-27_23-47-5.png

Ok, I know I'm not waiting for your advice, but this is still amusing and interesting to me.
And that's probably why you don't get any (exceptions made).
Your settings are also a reason (marathon, huts, 10 rivals....) Who would play along such a game?

Not everyone is the type of patient player for slow shadow games (I am not, I prefer learning from my own mistakes and from reading foreign threads).
However, no-one will dedicate time to a game when you keep on posting 1290 BC screenshots and ask what to do from there. That's well deserved.

Last edited:
Lots of land surrounding you is jungle which you shouldn't settle till after Iron Working. You have an unexplored area NW of your capital that is very close and it's worth knowing how big that desert is. I guess 2 E of Cows to get that plus Fish is not a bad city. Coastal starts without Fishing are slow. See the "No Wonder Kublai Khan" game.

:shake:

Anyone want to do an autopsy?
I'll note that 1160AD, you're researching metal casting.That should be coming in 1500 years earlier. Building all those workers just to build roads cost you bigly. They contribute to your unit maintenance costs and were slowing you down. It was a bad starting location (right in the jungle with few good city spots.) You researched masonry without stone or marble in your empire. Why? You're still playing without thinking. About 4 hours from first post to declaring defeat.

Lol.

Well, here's my next game. Suryavarman, and my main advantage is going to be that I see most of the map surrounding me early on, so I can plan out my cities pretty well.

What do you think I should do?
View attachment 557662
I know you're going to ignore any advice posted, but just in case a newbie comes by and looks upon this game:

Worker first worker first worker first. (I can't tell if there's one by your capital now or not. If your civ started with fishing, you might have gone workboat first with this start.) There are few always/never rules in this game, but never build scouts comes close.

You have no clue as to what the land looks like two tiles beyond your borders to the northwest. Why is your initial scout a dozen tiles south of your capital with unscouted land so close? Even chasing huts with your scout would not be an excuse for sending it that far away before scouting closer; there might be huts close as well.

definitely build a 3 scout for faster map reveal
You forgot the snark tag.

You might consider building a warrior first since there isn't anything a worker can do right now. A warrior could also help with scouting since you haven't thoroughly scouted the coast and you haven't scouted NW at all.

You could also build a settler first to settle the cow and fish spot, although you might need to bring your scout back for fog busting that area. I don't know when barbs start appearing on marathon emperor but you should have time to get a settler out. If you do that, you will definitely need a warrior next. That would be risky and put your land development behind though.

I would probably build a warrior first, then a work boat, then probably a worker.
For research I would finish fishing and then go for BW so your worker can chop a settler.

Top Bottom