NaNoWriMo 2015

At this rate, Cybrxkhan, you'll soon join me in the "banned from mentioning their postcount in the NaNoWriMo thread" club :p
Well, a few people did say they might be interested in Iron Pen if the minimum word count were higher.

Anyone who can knock out 50,000 words in 12 days shouldn't have a problem doing a short story in 48 hours, right? (yes, this is a recruiting pitch ;))

I'm rubbish at short stories. Either I come up with a vignette that's way too short, or a novel that I can't finish on time XD.

Thank you all, and again hope the rest of you can reach the 50k mark as well!

Managed barely just another 5k tonight. I could in theory probably manage another .5-2k but I'll take it easy since I'm getting closer to the climax for the main plot anyways (and I am at the beginning of the climax for the female MC's character arc, anyways). Also, and this is a little immature I admit, but I've just realised that since my story's premise is technically about a hot dad trying to lose his virgnity, climax may also mean something slightly different here if you get my drift. :mischief:

Anyways for now I am at 58.5k words, which is only three hundred less than the total amount of words for my novel last year. I am going to revise my earlier estimates and guess that my novel will end up in the ballpark of 65-75k words.
Well, a few people did say they might be interested in Iron Pen if the minimum word count were higher.

Anyone who can knock out 50,000 words in 12 days shouldn't have a problem doing a short story in 48 hours, right? (yes, this is a recruiting pitch ;))
Harder for me to think of some good idea for a short story.

However, I might have a few ideas based on leftovers from my NaNoWriMo planning. Maybe.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I have sadly fallen behind but I blame Fallout 4 and the poor timing of its premiere.
Only got to 20k mark today but I'm hoping to catch up before 40k.

I was at the library yesterday, and got a start on preparing for the April Camp NaNoWriMo event. I won't be sitting that one out for lack of preparation. ;)

Hey y'all what's this microrhinonanowrimo about?
"NaNoWriMo" is short for National Novel Writing Month (though it's open to anyone in any country).

The objective is to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days, from November 1 to November 30. There's no actual tangible prize for making it to 50,000 words, but the winners get badges to download, plus some very nice discounts on writing software and other writing-related stuff.

There are two other similar events, in the spring and summer, in which you are allowed to choose your own goal (as long as it's at least 10,000 words).

Got to 70k last night. Almost close to the end of the story (hot dad has lost his virginity! (Although its offscreen)), but I am busy today so I estimate that I'll be done tomorrow.

"NaNoWriMo" is short for National Novel Writing Month (though it's open to anyone in any country).

The objective is to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days, from November 1 to November 30. There's no actual tangible prize for making it to 50,000 words, but the winners get badges to download, plus some very nice discounts on writing software and other writing-related stuff.

There are two other similar events, in the spring and summer, in which you are allowed to choose your own goal (as long as it's at least 10,000 words).

November is a really bad month with exams comming up :(
Which is a shame, because this seems like something interesting

Camp NaNoWriMo is run in April and August, and in those events you can choose your own goal (minimum is 10,000 words). I've already started my prep notes for the April one.

Some people really get into the social aspect, whether on the NaNoWriMo site or in RL groups. The website has forums and you can form a group with your writing buddies from wherever, and you can also choose to be grouped according to your RL location (ie. I regularly get updates from the Alberta mailing list, though none of my writing buddies are from around here). I've heard of groups of people spending the day at some coffeeshop or other, with their laptops in tow, bouncing ideas off each other...

That's not for me, though. I tend to do my writing alone, or with just one or two other people. The last time I did collaborative writing in RL was back in the '90s, when a couple of friends and I did our Star Trek society fanzine and a book of filksongs.

Finally finished my novel at 72258 words. I don't like the way I wrote the final sentences, but whatever. Now it's time to dgaf... at least until its time to start editing and revising and stuff.

Best NaNoWriMo ever, 4-5k words on most days, writing something relatively personal that I'm really passionate about. 10/10 would do again.

Camp NaNoWriMo is run in April and August, and in those events you can choose your own goal (minimum is 10,000 words). I've already started my prep notes for the April one.

I already have an idea for next year's NaNoWriMo too. Then again, I had an original plan for this year's too but I scrapped it for a newer, fresher, cooler idea.

Some people really get into the social aspect, whether on the NaNoWriMo site or in RL groups. The website has forums and you can form a group with your writing buddies from wherever, and you can also choose to be grouped according to your RL location (ie. I regularly get updates from the Alberta mailing list, though none of my writing buddies are from around here). I've heard of groups of people spending the day at some coffeeshop or other, with their laptops in tow, bouncing ideas off each other...

This year is the first year I tried out the forums and the RL groups. For some reason, though, it seems like my local RL group is predominantly women. The other day we went to a really girly teahouse for the mid-month party and I was the only guy there. Not that I'm complaining. They seem pretty chill, anyways, though I suppose in the case of the RL groups it depends on how well its organized and whether there's enough people. The write-ins - which generally only last a few hours here - are fun but they can be distracting for some.

Okay, so how did everyone do? :bounce:

I have failed miserably, falling almost 15k words short of the target.
Guess it's still better than the last year's 25k.

I refuse to write just because I have a quota to fill but no mind to do it.
I'd rather wait for a good day when I feel like it and then spew forth 5k words.
The good news is that more and more such days come along as I write things.

Who knows, maybe next year?

I'm still totally finishing this work, just in my own sweet time.

This year was terrible. Granted I had a lot of uni work to do (probably last year I only got so far because my NaNoWriMo was also part of my uni work), but then I also ditched that to play games and do other leisurely activities. So I didnt even write 1000 words of a project I had already began and which is going to undergo pretty much a reset after I had a pretty wild idea in the first week of NaNo.

I wrote about 52000 words. I'm nowhere near finished writing my story, I think the reason how I got it so high is because I ended up writing a lot of exposition and I ended up over explaining everything instead of progressing the story.

I wrote about 52000 words. I'm nowhere near finished writing my story, I think the reason how I got it so high is because I ended up writing a lot of exposition and I ended up over explaining everything instead of progressing the story.

Heh, that's my writing in a nutshell. I was done with character introductions and exposition around 20k mark and the action proper didn't really start until around 28k.
At 35k words, I think I was somewhere around 1/3 into the book.

I completely failed, but that's okay. I added 15k to my project. Another few months to go on that book yet.

This year was an astounding success. But you guys already knew that I guess. Anyways, 72258 words, finished a week early. All the planning really paid off. As well as all the passion/anger/frustration/quarter life crisis/etc. stuff that I channeled into the writing. This story really wasn't my usual fare, but I love it, it's like it came from a part deep inside me, and unlike other projects I finished before where I kinda grew tired, I hope to continue working on this one.

I hope everyone is proud of what they did, even if you didn't meet your goals, because at the end of the day you'll still be doing more than a lot of people ever will!

I hope everyone is proud of what they did, even if you didn't meet your goals, because at the end of the day you'll still be doing more than a lot of people ever will!
Absolutely. Congratulations to all of you, for those who met their goals, and those who made progress toward their goals. :goodjob:

Since my word count this time can be expressed in round numbers by the number "0" you are all much farther ahead than I am! ;)

Anyone up for Iron Pen this weekend? I'm working out the details for a poetry competition - not finalized yet, but won't take too much longer. Or it could be a short story round; I have a few possible themes in mind. This will be the last Iron Pen this year, since I know people's minds are going to be on the holidays soon.

Top Bottom