Natural Wonders in World Builder

Thorburne

Centurion
So, I've been creating a map in the World Builder for Civ VI. However, I have noticed that when I attempt to add some Natural Wonders to the map, the cursor remains red no matter where I move it on the map. Some I can find a place after some searching, but others (like Yosemite) I can't seem to find the "sweet spot" for placing it on the map. Is there anything that lists the exact requirements for each wonder? That could be useful info for modders and map makers.

Ex, terrain, adjacent terrain, features, etc. requirements.

Great Barrier Reef:
- coastal terrain
- may not be near ice (which is buggy for me, being pretty far away from ice is still considered "near" when I try to place it. You have to first place the wonder, then the ice later on and hope that the game doesn't remove it after reloading)

Cliffs of Dover:
- Grassland hills or Plains hills (which is weird, considering that it generates on flatland in normal maps as well)
- afterwards place cliffs to see it

Crater Lake:
- Flat Plains or Tundra

Dead Sea:
- Flat Grassland or Desert
- Not adjacent to a mountain

Mt. Everest:
- must be placed on a Grassland, Plains, Desert or Tundra mountain (no Snow mountain for some reason)
- Adjacent to any flatland or hills (generates adjacent to mountains in normal maps as well, doesn't seem possible here)

Galapagos Islands:
- coastal terrain
- not adjacent to land
- may not be near ice (same problem as with Great Barrier Reef)

Kilimanjaro:
- Grassland, Plains, Desert or Tundra mountain
- may not be adjacent to another mountain

Pantanal:
- Flat Grassland or Plains
- not adjacent to snow? (not sure here)

Piopiotahi:
- Grasslands or Plains (flat or hills)
- two tiles must be adjacent to the coast I guess

Torres del Paine:
- Grassland, Plains or Tundra (flat or hills)
- may not be adjacent to Desert, Snow or a mountain

Tsingy de Bemaraha:
- may not be adjacent to a mountain

Yosemite Valley:
- Flat Grassland or Plains
- may not be adjacent to a mountain
- both tiles must be adjacent to the same forest tile (I guess that caused your problem?)

DLC:
Eyjafjallajökull:
- Tundra or Snow (flat or hills)
- must be adjacent to Tundra or Snow (flat or hills)

Giant's Causeway:
- must be placed on flat Grasslands or Plains, as well as Coast

Lysefjord:
- Plains or Tundra (flat or hills seems to work)
- two tiles must be adjacent to the coast, similar to Piopiotahi

Uluru:
- must be placed on flat Desert or Desert hills
- must be adjacent to Desert (flat or hills)

This is mainly taken from Features.xml (and the corresponding DLC files).
Sometimes, the game removes natural wonders after reloading because it tries to rotate them into a different angle, which it can't display on the map anymore for some reason. Since natural wonders may not be placed within two tiles of a river, you can use them to keep a natural wonder in its original rotation (by placing the river next to a tile that would be close enough to the tile the game wants to rotate the wonder into... I hope you get what I mean).

Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to try it out. I'm hoping that the new DLC is released soon so that I can start a new map. We'll have to see if there are any new NWs with the DLC. I'm hoping for Olympus.

So, some of the NWs I able to place, but I still could not place Yosemite and I also couldn't place Everest. Even following the guidelines that you listed. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Also, is the a hard limit to the number of wonders due to map size?

I could place the Yosemite in World Builder.

I made 2 plains side by side (horizontally), placed a few woods around them, far away from any mountains/rivers, etc

So, some of the NWs I able to place, but I still could not place Yosemite and I also couldn't place Everest. Even following the guidelines that you listed. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Also, is the a hard limit to the number of wonders due to map size?
They shouldn't be hardcapped, before the Australia patch I created a map that had each natural wonder.

Doing it the way Ron Wee described should allow you to place Yosemite. Try surrounding it with forests, just to be sure. But this should basically work:

Y Y
- W -

(Y being Yosemite Valley and W being forest)

Mt. Everest has 3 tiles in a triangle form, each has to be a mountain. Also, as Ron Wee said, make sure to not place rivers near them. There have to be at least two tiles between each wonder tile and any rivers.

Torres del Paine:
- may not be adjacent to Desert, Snow or a mountain

Seems in a randomly generated map in world builder, this wonder often 'disappears' when playing the map. Even if the natural wonder is automatically generated, and the terrain near it isn't touched.

Also - underrated post by you. Thanks.

No matter what I try, Eyjafjallajökull wont show up in game. I've played around with rivers trying to get it to show. Nothing.

It seems to need a forest to the north of it to show up in the World Builder too.

No matter what I try, Eyjafjallajökull wont show up in game. I've played around with rivers trying to get it to show. Nothing.

It seems to need a forest to the north of it to show up in the World Builder too.

According to the XML Eyjafjallajokull must be 2-tiles in west/east orientation on Snow and Tundra and be surrounded by Snow or Tundra, not adjacent to Coast or River. I think that's it.

According to the XML Eyjafjallajokull must be 2-tiles in west/east orientation on Snow and Tundra and be surrounded by Snow or Tundra, not adjacent to Coast or River. I think that's it.

Must be something else. Those condition are met.

I can't place ha;f of the natural wonders it just says "one of these already exists" even though they do not already exist. Has anyone found a solution?

Solved: You need to use the plot function placing features. Then you need to choose a direction for the wonder. I came to the forum with similar issues but once I did it that way, as long as you satisfy the requirements you should be able to place any wonder.

Solved: You need to use the plot function placing features. Then you need to choose a direction for the wonder. I came to the forum with similar issues but once I did it that way, as long as you satisfy the requirements you should be able to place any wonder.
Thanks Jack, that did the trick!

Top Bottom