1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] NC 217: Lincoln the Liberator

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tobiyogi, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

Civfanatics is an open-mind community, 15 vs. 16 players have chosen to go for the challenge and to abolish slavery :goodjob:

krikav likes this.
  2. Anysense

Anysense King

This one is interesting. I've beaten Deity without slavery before, although I abused drafting. On this map such challenge should be fun.

Edit: I never thought that I would ever use Emancipation.

Tobiyogi and krikav like this.
  3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Anysense
    Spoiler :

Not this map, just played lains Toku-map.
    But can you tell from this chart, when I started drafting? :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

4. Anysense

Anysense King

@krikav
    Sometime between 900 and 1000 AD?

krikav likes this.
  5. Anysense

Anysense King

Spoiler :
    Boxed in by 3 AIs, of which 2 are creative ones. This is a bit harsh. I have only 4 decent cities and can squeeze in a filler and that is that. I must go on rampage very soon, but there is neither copper nor horses anywhere. I have only some 20 forests to build an army. Not much for a Construction rush:hmm:

The biggest problem is that there are a couple of AIs who have unreasonable amounts of land to themselves.

krikav likes this.
  6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Anysense
    Spoiler :

Yeah, it's a tight box that we are put in here.
    I moved toward the silver so blocked off some land by that. But both WvO and Lizzy settled their second city toward me.
    That got me into full panic mode and I squeezed in cities whereever I could, dropping behind in severely in economy.

Only 4 cities sounds uncomfortable, did you settle by the coast and got squeezed in even more?
    Did you plan for construction and got screwed by lack of resources?
    Longbows work if you bring enough catapults. :)

7. Anysense

Anysense King

@krikav
    Spoiler :
    Both Liz and Willem expanded more aggressively than they did in your game. I settled 2nd city next silver but it was stolen by Elizabeth:rolleyes: I suppose it will be mine soon enough but still... At least Zara is preading religion. No need for longbows because I found iron.

krikav likes this.
  8. Anysense

Anysense King

Spoiler Turn 81 :
    I've just finished Currency and Asoka will trade Math! Now I can research Construction and start building axemen. I was rather afraid of missing the trades and was building research everywhere. Its a pity there are so few hills. A size 8 city working 2 food resources and 6 mines can produce at least 20 raw hammers per turn - more than enough for spamming exes and cats. As it is, I need to capture cities that has forests. Otherwise there won't be enough production to go on.
    Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG

krikav likes this.
  9. Anysense

Anysense King

Spoiler Turn 115 :

T98 Declared war on Zara. Captured Addis Ababa on turn 101 (had to bombard away the defences). That was easy but then he just kept throwing on me a bunch of units every other turn and refused to make peace. I should have seized the opportunity to make peace cheap (just give him CS!) shortly after taking a city. I suppose the game is still winnable but I'd rather avoid the pain and replay this part.
    Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG

10. Anysense

Anysense King

Replayed several turns. It is rather more playable this time.
    Spoiler :
    Liz is unusually soft in this game. Walls only in London and every city is on flat land.
    Civ4ScreenShot0132.JPG
    Willem will finish Machinery in 2 turns. Hopefully, he will trade it for Paper+Compass and may be some money. I may consider giving away Education if I have to.
    Civ4ScreenShot0133.JPG

Attached Files:

sampsa likes this.
  11. Anysense

Anysense King

I got Machinery from Willem as expected. Then upgraded axemen to macemen and declared on Liz again. Only managed to take two cities. Not enough units to go on and she's got knights, they are not great for city defence but quite superior in the open. I could do with a couple of pikes or war elephants, but neither were available. She would not capitulate so its just some gold in peace deal.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0155.JPG

I double bulb Education and bribe Suleiman on Zara. Also make a couple of nice deals with KK.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0172.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0176.JPG

Lib Printing Press in 540 AD. I expect AI to trade Nationalism later, right now it is far more important to reach Rifling ASAP, then I can go and kill some slavemongering bastards.
    KK provided Banking just when I need it! Such a good boy, perhaps, I will leave him alive. Nobody trades now but him (friendly).
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0189.JPG

Another GS was born in Washington and two turns later I start GA and switch to Caste and Pacifism. Then convert to Hindu and trade PP+Liberalism to Suleiman for Nationalism+Theology and some gold.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0208.JPG

Two turns later Suleiman has Constitution. I suppose Representation+Mercantilism could help to keep research up once war breaks out againg. Is it wise to wait? Chances that he will research Democracy next?
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0212.JPG