[R&F] Netherlands leaked on Dutch TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been explicitly told there is no UN/World Congress added in this expansion.

This is most likely.
Oh, sorry. I just figured as much, given the trailer. Still, diplomacy will play a larger part than before, no doubt, which was the essence of my point.

Oh, sorry. I just figured as much, given the trailer. Still, diplomacy will play a larger part than before, no doubt, which was the essence of my point.
I think the "emergencies" will work similarly to the way that the world congress was originally intended, which suits me (much better than arbitrarily banning luxuries :p ).

Eh, I don't think anyone's suggesting it's specifically Civilization's community on Twitter and Facebook; social media in general is just pretty toxic.
Hence the term "antisocial media." Antisocial media is indeed antisocial.

YouTube comments :shifty:
Restricted Mode makes them go away at the cost of some videos becoming unviewable.

One does not need to be a prude to use Restricted Mode on a regular basis. Restricted Mode preserves sanity.

I think the "emergencies" will work similarly to the way that the world congress was originally intended, which suits me (much better than arbitrarily banning luxuries :p ).
I still hope we get it eventually and the "emergencies" will end up being a part of it.

I still hope we get it eventually and the "emergencies" will end up being a part of it.

World Congress was always exploitable as hell. The only its positive function seems to be taken by emergiencies with much better effect.

I'm not a fan of adding some gamebreaking feature just because real life has it. So, unless there's some some real reason for world congress inclusion, it's better be buried.

Last edited:
Restricted Mode makes them go away at the cost of some videos becoming unviewable.

One does not need to be a prude to use Restricted Mode on a regular basis. Restricted Mode preserves sanity.

I feel like it's not that bad, then again, I'm used to the average League of Legends in-game 'team' chat...

Eh, I don't think anyone's suggesting it's specifically Civilization's community on Twitter and Facebook; social media in general is just pretty toxic.

Toxic is over used word these days.
And I'll leave it there.

I don't know why I see so much people complaining about World Congres... Am I the only one who was really a fan of it?
Well, yes, it was a little restristed, and the AI should have a better intelligence to really deal with it, but overall, I see pretty much only advantages. International Games, World Fair ou ISS was great things. And I think that adding a mechanism that force different countries to deal with each others a great thing.
But I think it would be better if it's an enhanced version of the actual WC/UN.

Besides that, what would be the point of WC? Well, Diplomatic Victory. For me, it's really bothering that you couldn't win by Diplomaty, as it was a great way to win with the opposite of Military. But it's just my opinion.

On the other hand, the concept of emergencies will be great, I think. It will permit the creation of "regional" unions. Maybe, in the future, it will be possible to create local multilateralist unions, without the need for emergencies, lile the UE or something.
But the fact that you can be allied with multiple civ at the same time, it's just... so hyping! Except if the AI will frak it...

[...]
Rude female host:
[...]

Lol, why do you call her rude? There is nothing rude in your transcript. Did she say something rude before that? : D "All right you Moderator Action: <snip> , here is some Moderator Action: <snip> news about some digital Moderator Action: <snip> ."

Moderator Action: Please review and comply with our rules regarding use of inappropriate language.--Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I don't know why I see so much people complaining about World Congres... Am I the only one who was really a fan of it?

I really do understand people's complains about it, but no, you're not the only one. I really always enjoyed Civ V's World Congress too. I have not played the earlier Civs enough to compare it to Civ V's use, but in general I liked the atmosphere it brought, and the feeling I won the game through peaceful, unifying means. I'm tired of these competitive domination strategies, and personally I think it's not the way forward for humanity and our civlization(s). Culture? Needs to dominate. Science? Needs to dominate. Troops? Need to dominate. I miss a grand unifier, a victory condition because you left everyone alone, shared technology and culture, and together overcame differences to become a global unity, paving the way for a bright future of space exploration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, why do you call her rude? There is nothing rude in your transcript. Did she say something rude before that? : D "All right you Moderator Action: <snip> , here is some Moderator Action: <snip> news about some digital Moderator Action: <snip> ."

Moderator Action: Please review and comply with our rules regarding use of inappropriate language.--Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: <snip> She was rude because she interrupted the person speaking mid-sentence with "OMG OMG WE HAVE COMPARISON PHOTO'S OMG!". I just don't like her in general. She used to be a host for an MTV-like channel in the Netherlands 20 years ago, but since then, all she did that was worth remembering was posing for playboy. But not the good kind, the kind of posing that says "Look, I'm not a naked lady, I'm art.". Bummed me out, anyway ;-)

Moderator Action: Please comply with our rules regarding public discussions of moderator actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Censorship aside, I think I know what you said, haha. She was rude because she interrupted the person speaking mid-sentence with "OMG OMG WE HAVE COMPARISON PHOTO'S OMG!". I just don't like her in general. She used to be a host for an MTV-like channel in the Netherlands 20 years ago, but since then, all she did that was worth remembering was posing for playboy. But not the good kind, the kind of posing that says "Look, I'm not a naked lady, I'm art.". Bummed me out, anyway ;-)

Yes, I forewent the rules of conduct unfortunately :S My baaaaad.... Anyway, her name is Brigitte or something right? I heard people talk of her. I have seen her a couple of times on the television I think (can't remember where) but she doesn't seem that pleasant to me either... : D

I don't know why I see so much people complaining about World Congres...

The diplomacy in games like civ is already a problem. If AI plays for victory too much, it's called gamey and not roleplaying. If it's roleplaying too much - it's called dumb. World congress just escalates the problem as stakes become much higher. Throwing city-states makes things worse as they are totally manipulatable. It's generally system to get global advantage (like military tax if you're playing peaceful). Diplomatic victory is the pinnacle of the problem.

I'm not saying it's all that bad. Things like World Games are pretty fun, because they require significant investments outside the diplomacy, they have risk/reward, strategy and so on. But making World Congress for world projects alone sounds quite strange. It needs some other voting types, which will not hurt the game that much and I don't see them so far.

I really do understand people's complains about it, but no, you're not the only one. I really always enjoyed Civ V's World Congress too. I have not played the earlier Civs enough to compare it to Civ V's use, but in general I liked the atmosphere it brought, and the feeling I won the game through peaceful, unifying means. I'm tired of these competitive domination strategies, and personally I think it's not the way forward for humanity and our civlization(s). Culture? Needs to dominate. Science? Needs to dominate. Troops? Need to dominate. I miss a grand unifier, a victory condition because you left everyone alone, shared technology and culture, and together overcame differences to become a global unity, paving the way for a bright future of space exploration.

Well, some peoples would argue that for Diplomatic Victory in Civ V, you need to dominate by city-States and by gold, which is just another form of domination (except in the CBP, where the system of envoys is near perfection... and make me angry because all the gold of Venice became suddenly a lot less important).

Even if I really enjoy the WC in 5, I hope for a diplomatic system where you just don't have to wait until you have all the cities-states or anything else, but really need to convince your fellow to join you. Maybe some kind of "shared" victory : you can found an Union, and if your Union make to some requirements, all the member of the Union win the game... no ?

Well, some peoples would argue that for Diplomatic Victory in Civ V, you need to dominate by city-States and by gold, which is just another form of domination

There's a measure - how many different gameplay systems you need to move (and how much) to get victory. Civ5 has a problem with too much emphasis on tall, which ignores huge expansion and conquest parts of the game. Diplomatic victory needs even less parts of the game to be developed. It doesn't need that high population or production as science victory, for example. You don't feel like you're playing full civilization game if you target diplo victory. Also, for the same reason, it's easiest to achieve peaceful victory in Civ5.

If AI plays for victory too much, it's called gamey and not roleplaying. If it's roleplaying too much - it's called dumb.

I'm putting that one in my signature, no kidding.

Again the creators disappoint me with their choice of female rulers.

It is once again an insult both for historical feminism and for the civilization which it represents.
What does Wilhelmina stand out for other than reigning for a long period?
There are plenty of better female leaders to add to current/speculated civilizations, and surely there are plenty of better Dutch leaders.

They could even choose Mary of the Habsburg Netherlands, if they seek for a female leader of the Dutch.

Again the creators disappoint me with their choice of female rulers.

It is once again an insult both for historical feminism and for the civilization which it represents.
What does Wilhelmina stand out for other than reigning for a long period?
There are plenty of better female leaders to add to current/speculated civilizations, and surely there are plenty of better Dutch leaders.

They could even choose Mary of the Habsburg Netherlands, if they seek for a female leader of the Dutch.

You could at least bother reading the thread before making a comment like this. I don't neccesarily agree with the choice either, but plenty arguments can be made why she's a good inclusion, as people have shown here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom