Never Before Seen Civs - Elimination Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see this thread dying down so dramatically. With all the discussion that's gone into it so far, it would be shame to have the top placements determined by a small handful of posters.

Ashanti 4
Babylonians 14
Ethiopians 17 (20 - 3) Ethiopia's a great choice in the abstract, but since it's been in the past 2 games and neighbors a current civ, I'd rather give another civ a turn.
Incas 24 (23 + 1) A continent spanning empire on an empire with no pre-colonial civs (and few competing options that meet others' standards for required knowledge).
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 14
Mayans 23

Ashanti 4-3=1 Apologies to Ashanti. They've had a good run on this thread though.
Babylonians 14+1=15 Rounds out the collection of ancient empires nicely.
Ethiopians 17
Incas 24
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 14
Mayans 23

Ashanti 1 - 3 = ELIMINATED They had a great run
Babylonians 15
Ethiopians 17
Incas 24
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 14 + 1 = 15 Yes to a specific Polynesian civ, no to a blob Polynesian civ
Mayans 23

Babylonians 15
Ethiopians 18 (17+1) Belongs in every civ game. I don't care if they are geographically close to Nubia.
Incas 21 (24-3) Overrated. I want them and they deserve to be included. But they are certainly no match for the Maya with their rather short lived importance and unstable empire that went from one civil war into the next. This is of course exaggerated, but people seem to forget it.
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 15
Mayans 23

Babylonians 15 - 3 = 12 (While I would love to see Hammurabi in-game, the others on the list are either more important or more unique, having been featured fewer times in the series. Also, I am not satisfied with the constant use of a regular bowman as their unique unit, when the Babylonians weren't even known for their archery.)
Ethiopians 18
Incas 21
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 15 + 1 = 16 (The most unique option remaining, except perhaps for the Khmer.)
Mayans 23

Babylonians 12-3=9 - All of these Civs are nice and unique choices, but sadly, Babylon isn't in area that is in a horrible need of more Civs. I definitely want it to appear again, but not as much as the other Civs here.
Ethiopians 18
Incas 21+1=22 - Brazil can't stay the only SA Civ.
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 16
Mayans 23

Babylonians 6 (9 - 3) With the inclusion of Sumer, I would miss this civilisation less.
Ethiopians 18
Incas 22
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 17 (16 + 1) Interesting and unique, and from a region in need of more representation.
Mayans 23

Babylonians (6-3)=3 I can wait for a second ancient Mesopotamian Civ.
Ethiopians (18+1)=19 So far the main argument against an earlier inclusion is that it's too close to Nubia. Well, many players play on non-TSL maps (the current Earth map by Firaxis is bad). Incas, Babylon, and Maya have appeared in more games than it, so a third appearance in Civ isn't too much to ask for. I will feel disappointed if Firaxis leaves it out of Civ6.
Incas 22
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 17
Mayans 23

Babylonians 3+1=4 I can't wait for Babylon to return!
Ethiopians 19
Incas 22
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 17-3=14 The competition is too tough to beat.
Mayans 23

Babylonians 4 - 3 = 1 (By the rivers of Babylon, we weep (for the stereotypical Gilgamesh civ) and know full well Babylon will be in at some point--while I like Babylon, I would prefer the other options on this finalists list more)
Ethiopians 19
Incas 22
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 14 + 1 = 15 (Bar the Khmer, the most unique and underrepresented ever. The Maori have never been in Civ as a full civilization, either.)
Mayans 23

Babylonians 1
Ethiopians 16 (19 - 3) My point about proximity to Nubia isn't about TSL. Rather it's about having as much variety (in as many forms as possible) in civ selection and about geographical proximity being correlated (albeit very imprecisely) with cultural, historical and lifestyle similarities. Ethiopia is certainly different from Nubia, but probably less so than Benin, Ashanti, Mali or Kilwa. This certainly isn't an insurmountable strike against Ethiopia, but we're long past the point where we started having to downvote very good choices.
Incas 23 (22 + 1) The most glaring omission from the vanilla roster.
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 15
Mayans 23

Babylonians 1
Ethiopians 16
Incas 23
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 12 (15-3) In what world did they outlast Babylon? Oh, right.
Mayans 24 (23+1) Best option that was available is still the best left and rightfully leading now.

Babylonians 1-3=-2 (ELIMINATED) - Goodbye Babylon. You should return, but the other Civs are more needed.
Ethiopians 16
Incas 23+1=24 - We need more SA Civs. Brazil can't be the only SA Civ in the game.
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 12
Mayans 24

Ethiopians (16+1)=17 Ethiopia shouldn't be removed entirely from the game just for a new African Civ to appear in its place. It deserves to make it to top 4. It's definitely more unique than Mali or Kilwa (who borrowed heavily from Arab culture).
Incas 24
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 12
Mayans (24-3)=21 I feel bad for downvoting it, but Mesoamerica already has a Civ (while the Horn of Africa, Andes, Mainland SE Asia, and Polynesia don't have one yet), and can wait a little bit longer for a second one. I'm also afraid Firaxis will stick to Pacal instead of trying someone new. And no more focus on the Mayan calendar, please.

Last edited:
Ethiopians 14 (17 - 3) It was between these and the Mayans, but personally I prefer historical Mesoamerican cultures.
Incas 24
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 13 (12 + 1) An ethnic group so far not even present in Civ VI.
Mayans 21

It's not at all certain that Babylon will be returning. Or any other civ for that matter.

Ethiopians 14-3=11 Hard decisions. At this point it's just a consideration of which one you want slightly more.

Incas 24
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 13
Mayans 21+1=22 Important enough for vanilla in my book.

Ethiopians 11 (8 - 3) I agree it shouldn't be removed from the roster entirely, just the top 5 (For what it's worth, my personal top 5 would be Inca, Maya, Haida, Mongolia and Khmer, with Khmer being replaced by one of the new African civs once the SE Asia DLC releases).
Incas 25 (24 + 1) While I do think there's lots of tough competition for the top 5, I have a hard time seeing any other civ as number 1.
Khmer 21
Mayans 22

Ethiopians (8+1)=9 I will defend this ancient nation to the death! :D
Incas (25-3)=22 I don't want it to run away with the game. It's unfortunate that the earlier Andean Civs lacked writing, and we have to keep putting in the last Andean empire.
Khmer 21
Mayans 22

Ethiopians 9
Incas 22 - 3 = 19 (While surely important, I value them less than the Mayans due to the Mayan reputation for citystate warfare and mathematical advances. I think if we wanted a wealthy military nation we can easily look to Mali. The Inca will be in Civ VI at some point, I just don't see them as a priority right now out of the remaining options. Tough choice.)
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 13 + 1 = 14 (IMO the most underrepresented one remaining, and therefore the most unique. They aren't likely to be too similar to their past Polynesian incarnation if we go with the Maori, who have never been represented as a full Civilization in Civ).
Mayans 22

All these civs were seen before. Aschanti is the winner.

Ethiopians 6 (9-3) Nubia is a great alternative.
Incas 19
Khmer 21
Maori/Other Polynesians 14 (the other, the real Polynesia is already out;))
Mayans 23 (22+1) my favorite here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom