Never before seen wonders II - Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayt al-Hikma - 40
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - (27+1)=28 Must survive until top 4....Uraniborg being an observatory shouldn't disqualify it. It would come during an earlier period.
Oost-Indisch Huis - (26-3)=23 I have little love for the Dutch East India Company and what they did. I'm still not a fan of this building being a wonder. Do we really need a luxury based wonder when we have Zanzibar in the game?
Palace of Knossos - 29
Tāq Kasrā - 3
Uraniborg - 42

Tāq Kasrā - 3- (6-3) Yes, it is a landmark of modern Iraq, and yes the Iwan is impressive. But size isn't everything, there are many Iwans I'd prefer to this one. I also don't like they heavy leaning towards Byzantine architecture this one has (it was probably built to a large extent by Byzantines). One the other hand it's not that interesting a building and (to my knowledge) never attracted archeologists or many scholars (in contrast to many other Arsacid or Sassanid remains). Modern day nationalists like it, however. If it wasn't for one of the most famous carpets in history... :p
Where's your evidence that it "was probably built to a large extent by Byzantines"? If anything, the evidence suggests it was built by Khosrow I, the sworn enemy of the Byzantines who gave Justinian numerous headaches and extracted much tribute from him. Khosrow may have built it after a campaign AGAINST the Byzantines in 540 AD.

There is also no evidence that the Taq Kasra "never attracted archaeologists of many scholars". Per Wikipedia: "In 1851 French artist Eugène Flandin visited and studied the structure with Pascal Coste who remarked "the Romans had nothing similar or of the type". Eugene Flandin is known for his architectural drawings and he was also an archaeologist. Hence his interest in Persian buildings.

And whether or not the carpet is "one of the most famous in history" is irrelevant. I might have the most famous nail clipper in history, but if the monument it's housed in is unimpressive, no one will care.

Bayt al-Hikma - 40
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 28
Oost-Indisch Huis - 23 - 3 = 20 I'd certainly like to see this in game as a great trade wonder, but I personally like the others just a bit more.
Palace of Knossos - 29
Tāq Kasrā - 3 + 1 = 4 I know it will go down soon but I thought I'd give it one more vote due to how impressive it could be to see in the game.
Uraniborg - 42

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
Oost-Indisch Huis - 20
Palace of Knossos - 29
Tāq Kasrā - 1 - 3 = ELIMINATED Reconstructed and replicated a few times
Uraniborg - 42 + 1 = 43 Noseless great scientists!

Very well... The top five.

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
Oost-Indisch Huis - 20+1=21 - Zanzibar isn't enough for me. It's a CS, not a wonder :p However, we're in top five, so it doesn't really matter who wins now. But I really want it, and that's why I'm still supporting it :p
Palace of Knossos - 29
Uraniborg - 43-3=40 - Lets not let it run away with the prize :) Also, I prefer Bayt al-Hikma, the probably most important intellectual centre in the Islamic Golden age to win :p

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
Oost-Indisch Huis - 21 - 3 = 19 (Hard pass on this unimpressive structure in the Red Light District with a mere 17 reviews on TripAdvisor. A big tourist draw this certainly is not. And several perusals of photos of the structure tell you why--it's almost indistinguishable visually from any other "slightly pretty European building that would make for a better unique improvement than a world wonder")
Palace of Knossos - 29 + 1 = 30 (Should at least beat out the uninteresting and unstoried Oost-Indisch Huis given its representation of Minoan culture (never before seen in Civ), and its reputation as the epicenter for Minoan religious as well as political life, which could make for some interesting synergy beyond being purely another religious wonder)

Uraniborg - 40

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - (28+1)=29 I want this to make the top 4. It might work as a unique Library for the Maya, but I prefer it becoming a wonder. Two Mayan wonders (from the same city) doesn't bother me at all.
Oost-Indisch Huis - (19-3)=16 Maybe 5th place is best for the Dutch East India House? :p Definitely, the most ordinary looking wonder left (I know we don't know how the Bayt al-Hikma looked like, but Firaxis can whip up something fancy).
Palace of Knossos - 30
Uraniborg - 40

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 30 (29+1) Same as @Guandao
Oost-Indisch Huis - 16
Palace of Knossos - 27 (30-3) Oost-Indisch Huis will probably go first. but that doesn't mean I cant stark chipping away at this.
Uraniborg - 40

On a side note, looks like the Chateau Frontenac will make it into the actual game!

Bayt al-Hikma - 41
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 30
Oost-Indisch Huis - 16 - 3 = 13 This seems to be inevitably the fifth place, so let's end its pain. :cry:
Palace of Knossos - 27
Uraniborg - 40 + 1 = 41 For me, Uraniborg is as good as Bayt al-Hikma, and it is difficult to choose which one is best. They should be balanced.

Chateau Frontenac is a great addition, it will be more impressive on the map than CN Tower would be. I assume this will get a tourism bonus. I did not imagine that one of the wonders of our elimination games would added so briefly. :D

Chateau Frontenac is a great addition, it will be more impressive on the map than CN Tower would be. I assume this will get a tourism bonus. I did not imagine that one of the wonders of our elimination games would added so briefly. :D
I once suggested the Delicate Arch for the Natural Wonder elimination game and it's added in the expansion.

Apparently, Firaxis is reading the elimination threads.

I once suggested the Delicate Arch for the Natural Wonder elimination game and it's added in the expansion.

And Mount Roraima, that won the first round of elimination games of Natural Wonders.

Maybe they'll read the "Never before seen Civs" elimination thread :mischief: Bohemia... Bohemia...

Oh, and Oost-Indisch Huis should have 12 points. Noone noticed that Morningcalm took away two points, not three.

Bayt al-Hikma - 41+1=42 - If this is going to be a battle between Uraniborg and Bayt al-Hikma, I'll support the House of Widsom.
Oost-Indisch Huis - 12-3=9 - Seems like I can't save you. However, you would still make a great Dutch trade wonder.
Palace of Knossos - 27
Uraniborg - 41

Bayt al-Hikma 42
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 27 (30-3) I prefer the other two science wonders
Oost-Indisch Huis - 9
Palace of Knossos - 27
Uraniborg - 42 (41+1) my favorite

Very glad that they included the Archivo General de Indias. I proposed it a few times (along with the Portuguese casa de indias). But I‘m not sure these threads here had much influence. So far, all wonders seem rather obvious choices - except for the Polar Research Station I forgot the name of, and that wasn‘t suggested here.

Bayt al-Hikma 42
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 27
Oost-Indisch Huis - 9 - 3 = 6 (Boring, flavorless, more unique improvement than world wonder, has almost no tourists visiting it, and it's in the Red Light District, which isn't known for being the epicenter of cultured life.)
Palace of Knossos - 27 + 1 = 28 (I think what's key here is the cultural uniqueness and visual splendor of this wonder, along with its importance as the epicenter of Minoan religion and political life. I don't imagine it would make top 3 but I will keep upvoting it since I like it a lot, as I do the Bayt-al-Hikma)
Uraniborg - 42

Bayt al-Hikma 42
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - (27+1)=28 I like it when the science (at least what amounted to science back then) of the pre-Columbian Americas is acknowledged. They weren't simply unintelligent people. While it may work as a unique library for the Maya, I still like to see this become a world wonder.
Oost-Indisch Huis - (6-3)=3 Not as interesting as the rest, and it's niche is apparently going to be filled by that Archive de Indias wonder.
Palace of Knossos - 28
Uraniborg - 42

Bayt al-Hikma 42
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 28 + 1 = 29 Per @Guandao and because R&F will re-introduce the Statue of Liberty, thereby setting precedence for one city providing two wonders in Civ VI
Oost-Indisch Huis - 3 - 3 = ELIMINATED It is in a red-light district and has unimpressive architecture anyways; its niche will be occupied by another wonder in R&F
Palace of Knossos - 28
Uraniborg - 42

Bayt al-Hikma 42
El Caracol of Chichen Itza - 30 (29+1) It will be a close final 3.
Palace of Knossos - 25 (28-3) With Oost-Indisch Huis gone, this should be the next one gone.
Uraniborg - 42

Bayt al-Hikma 42
Palace of Knossos - 25 - 3 = 22 I really want this to be in the game since its probably about as close to seeing the Minoans in Civ 6 as we're going to get and its a nice looking palace. However, I do admit that we have plenty of palaces right now and are rather low on science wonders. Plus being in 4th should show that it isn't a hated idea for a wonder.
Uraniborg - 42 + 1 = 43 This just happens to be my personal favorite of the remaining wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom