1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - April 20th (4-20)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Can the Unit simply move up to the City-State within a turn or two or three? If yes, add it as a military threat by its strength potential.
    vs.
    Check 6 tiles away from the city and encircle it. Check for military threats within this encirclement.

Arthur Jama likes this.
  2. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

Or, if one doesn't feel comfortable with the manual install, you can 1) use the autoinstaller, 2) then run a search for "steamapps" on your computer, 3) manually move the whole UI_bc1 folder from the default=wrong location on C: to your non-default=correct folder (into the DLC folder).

I believe that once you have done it (either way), you will be good for all the future VP updates (unless they include an EUI update too, then it would go to the wrong=default folder again while the game would still pick up the old EUI from your non-standard=correct location).

Edit: Actually, now I that I have read your post again and gave it more thought. Are yiu saying that your steamapps folder IS in the standard (= C:/Program Files/...) folder? I wonder where does the EUI from the autoinstaller land in your case. I always thought these problems onlu occured when your Steam had been installed in a non-standard location. Could it be caused by writing permissions too strict or maybe your antivirus?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    JamesNinelives and 76ers like this.
  3. 76ers

76ers Chieftain

I'm not exactly sure. What made it confusing to me is that a few months ago when this first happened I could just run the automatic installer a 2nd time and it would install the folder properly the 2nd time. The last few times that didn't work and I had to install the folder manually. I have a small solid state drive on my laptop so I go through this every once in a while. Since I will delete everything to make space to play a game like WOW which requires most of my HD. I really haven't been all that concerned about it since I can just do the manual install. I just did a search to see if the folder shows up somewhere unexpected and didn't find it. Next time I install I'll disconnect from the internet and disable the security programs I have running and see what happens.

vyyt likes this.
  4. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

Last I played this it was a mess which nobody understood

Now I see something looking solid. This happiness I don't understand but that's the point. It is a strategy game, not a SIM game. I don't need to babysit my empire, I need strategy

I think this happiness system is in the right direction

5. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

This game will reach its maturity when you lose on Prince.

That's the goal

Because if you have to up difficulty, then it defeats the purpose of the whole mod. You can go play vanilla for that matter u know

The goal is to play on equal terms with the AI, then this project is finished

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Is it one turn, or two, or three?

7. Enginseer

It's whether or not the unit can be in their (borders) within a certain turn(i forgot how much it was). You can be one turn away, but if a mountain is obstructing then the city-state won't see it as a threat unless somehow they are the Inca and can traverse through it.

Which is why embarked units and naval units have huge potential since it has a much larger potential to bully city-states since the city-state can see it and the naval/embarked unit can just cruise through the city-state to conquer it.

It's a performance improvement because the pathfinder is already there and can double dip into city-state's afraid status instead of having to encircle itself within a 6 tile radius every time a unit makes a move.

JamesNinelives, vyyt and CrazyG like this.
  8. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

The focus should be away from details and go into strategy. Why ? Because I don't have time to count your pathetic smiles. I need strategy, buildings, synergy, units, and diplomacy. And of course strong AI.

I don't need your details posts here going on. People disputing here crap and arguing over 1 more food or less.

If this game gets dumbed down into SIM details then what a waste.

9. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Thank for you the response.
    Does the pathfinder only calculates land routes if I'm on land, or water routes if the unit is on water?

The embarking thing is a weird result, no? (I'm not saying its bad)

10. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

Finished a 4-city tall CV as Arabia. Immortal difficulty. Won Turn 283, didn't declare a single war, had one very late-game brokered "war" against me but there were no serious invasion efforts.

I went for a typical Tradition game. I focused on Divine Inheritance + Knowledge Through Devotion rather than Ceremonial Burial + To the Glory of God and was throroughly impressed. I had a permanent Golden Age from late Renaissance onwards, without using Artists (Chichen Itza + Tradition/Artistry + Lapis Lazuli monopoly. Later got Universal Suffrage).

I got sanctioned but it didn't stop me.

I had fairly low Tourism (200-300 :tourism:per turn) and because I went Industry very low Science as well (capped at about 1100 when I won...was under 1000 for the vast majority of the game). My :c5culture: was much stronger, well over 2000:c5culture: early on and capping out at about 4500:c5culture: with World's Fair by the end of the game.

Something that stuck me was just how I could win seemingly so early with such little :tourism: per turn. My very high :c5culture: made it so that I could get two T3 tenets pretty quickly and that my Historic Events were really powerful. I used to not play many CVs with Industry but Industry's :c5production:/:c5gold: was very useful this game, allowed me to rush Wonders/Buildings in short order, and my secondary cities didn't feel like as much of a drag. I also extensively used Internal Food and later Production Routes, which were nice.

I played some CS diplomacy, fighting for control of 3 CS allies (spare :c5production:/:c5gold: went to Diplomats) and I later picked up Spies/Delegates from Freedom to prevent the Diplo leader (Maya) from becoming host and passing Spheres of Influence, eventually decolonizing them. I wasn't able to get extra Delegates in time to prevent being Sanctioned (I got Sanctioned a turn after my Corp was founded :sad:).

I'm in a weird spot where Deity is a bit too grindy and hard now for my taste but the last two Immortal games have felt won by Renaissance. Granted, I was in favourable positions (Inca with a mountain start, Arabia with only one direct land neighbour going for a CV) but still.

11. Enginseer

The pathfinder is when you select a unit and get to see how far it can go with its movement points so it works for ALL units regardless of water or land. Also it assess the embarked unit's strength, not the actual unit's strength (which is significantly less).

Which is why if you want to get an easy bully, you can trespass in their territory.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

JamesNinelives, Stalker0 and vyyt like this.
  13. Rafs

Rafs Warlord

I think games can have some very big variance on how they go which can sometimes make for some easier/harder games with the same settings. Having good neighbors, and being lucky enough that far away rivals don't get too strong always make a big difference. Last time I had tried Deity though I had felt it was too hard for me and it required me to play in a very strict /objective oriented manner, not very enjoyable.

In this game I'm finishing atm (granted it's just emperor), went conqueror route on my continent, managed to take out 2 civs in ancient+classical (celts and mongolia) and vassal the other 2 that shared the continent (arabia and assyria). I was playing as Rome, so I though the game was as good as won, but I had seen some unknown players losing their capitals in the other continent, though to myself it would be some warmonger who wouldn't be able to keep up with my insane snowballing. Little did I know that I was wrong!
    Caravels come around, world council gets founded, and I find, to my horror, that Brazil has the same techs and policies as me (I honestly found the tech part amazing because I had council of elders and managed to spread my religion on my whole continent through conquest+vassalage, so I had tons of free science), and that he had pupetted all of the huns cities except one. China ended up vassaling the huns (and then killing them off during renaissance), and she also had vassaled and crippled england (I think all this happened in early medieval), then during the renaissance when she got chu-ko-nus/muskets she finished england off. Weirdest part of it all, is that the aztecs also were in the continent, and they had also been obliterated both by china and brazil.
    I honestly wish I could see a replay of the game with the map uncovered with details on the fights because I'm amazed that brazil and china not only managed to fend off the huns and the aztecs, but then they went and conquered them.
    Also, I noted how aggressive the AI got compared to my previous game, I think this was due to me having 4 capitals+mine when the world council was founded, as 2-3 AI declared on me and my vassals not 5 turns after the council was founded and everyone knew who was who.
    Have to say, launching an amphibian assault against an enemy who has the same techs and tech paths as you is crazy hard now, I think I spent the whole renaissance+ half the industrial era warring Brazil (killing his boats+bandeirantes) to lower his supply, as any entry into the continent was met with an insane carpet of cavaliers, musketmans and lancers that promptly destroyed anything that landed. So big props to everyone on the team, I found that the AI is getting better every time, and while the production bonuses can be a bit annoying to me this made the game much more exciting and I actually really enjoyed this long war of attrition, going for archeology + freedom to try to keep up my happiness and supply, though I could see how this couldn't be everyones preference when it comes to war.

Can't wait for the next beta to see what will be the decision on how to handle happiness, I'm hoping it will change as I've felt a bit pigeonholed into freedom with this version, not that I mind because freedom seems to be very balanced to me, but I miss some good old autocracy.

vyyt and chicorbeef like this.
  14. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

I think timing a rush on another continent to be less army based and more naval based is a good idea, so rushing Cruisers could have been the key. If you had Happiness issues I could see how that was not possible though.

If you went Freedom for Happiness, did you pick up the Capitalism tenet? I think that tenet is crazy for Happiness now, +6 in every city.

Autocracy does have some happiness (Police State, Iron Fist) though probably not as much as Freedom.

Aztec AI often falls behind in tech in my experience.

You do know that you can see the replay after you win, lose, or retire from a game right?

vyyt likes this.
  15. Borussia

Borussia Chieftain

In the description of puplic works it states that we have to pay 2 gold maintenance each.
    When I build public works it does not increase the building maintenance of the city.
    Using the F2 screen there are only three types of expanses: for units, for buildings and for other civs. Public works do not increase any one of them.
    Maybe it is a bug and we don`t have to pay maintenance for them or the UI does not show it.

16. Rafs

Rafs Warlord

Yes, I had to wait for the industrialization boats + 4 frigates chipping away at a city to make some progress, and gattling guns+field guns to make some real progress. Was really long, and even then Brazil was picking the same techs as I was.
    The problem with autocracy is the happiness policy (+3 Happiness per courtoom) can't measure up to capitalism, because capitalism works in every city. I also think freedom adds more general yields to your cities, while autocracy seems more proc based, so it helps you stay afloat.
    I know you can see a replay, but from what I recall its kind of a log based replayed, with text, and some rough map representation to see cities being built/border growth/ect.. Or is there any actual real replay?

17. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

I think, there are too many sources for tourismn than the former core tourismn generator, the great works. For atleast some time, a city with 15 forest/jungle tiles can generate as much tourismn as a city which invested into 5 cultural GP.
    Especially trade routes are generating tremendous amounts of tourismn, and with the 50% tourismn copied to each other civ, its eaven easier to achieve a CV.
    I think this should be tuned down a bit.

18. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

I think it was just high :c5culture: that lead to high Historic Events + TR Tourism. Most of my base Tourism was still from GWs/Artifacts, but the point I wanted to make was static per-turn :tourism: isn't actually all that useful. :c5culture: buffs Historic Events, and that makes :c5culture: very important.

I'm not entirely sure how much Trade Route Tourism was but I remember seeing numbers like 3500+ :tourism: from TR completions to all civs in Industrial and having Industry + Petra really took that to the next level. I was still sanctioned and my Tourism kept chugging along though so it didn't clinch me a win.

Zoos weren't a big factor at all in my game. They were built near the end so that I could build Stadiums and for the insta-Tourism bombs. I had accumulated 110 Historic Events by the end of the game, that's a lot of :tourism:.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Honestly I would take any Tourism balance discussion involving Arabia with a truckload of salt. Arabia is lazer focused on Historical Event Tourism...its what they do. If there is a problem its more likely an overtuned Arabia than an overtuned Tourism system.

Coffee Monopoly likes this.
  20. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

You had 4 vassals though, so Iron Fist would have been a huge help in both yields and happiness.
    Capitalism is still the best happiness policy right now, though.
    There is an actual replay. There's a list where you can see "Messages", you click that and Graphs/Map will pop as option...go to Map and you can play an actual replay.