New Beta Version - April 20th (4-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I would take any Tourism balance discussion involving Arabia with a truckload of salt. Arabia is lazer focused on Historical Event Tourism...its what they do. If there is a problem its more likely an overtuned Arabia than an overtuned Tourism system.
Do keep in mind that the bonus :tourism: from Historic Events for Arabia was removed. Arabia's ability was also slightly nerfed (15% towards GP progress rather than 20%) so I don't want to nerf Arabia's UA further. I may have focused more on Historical Events than I would have another civ though, and Bazaar would have increased my :tourism: a lot as well.

Note that any instant tourism you gain is directly proportional to the amount of static tourism you have.

You had 4 vassals though, so Iron Fist would have been a huge help in both yields and happiness.
Capitalism is still the best happiness policy right now, though.
There is an actual replay. There's a list where you can see "Messages", you click that and Graphs/Map will pop as option...go to Map and you can play an actual replay.

While iron fist may give higher yields overall, these are not distributed to the cities, so they don't really help me with unhappiness (the big show stoper for wide in huge maps, unless you can get lots and lots of landmarks in this version). I think autocracy's strength lies in the cheaper upgrading+bigger exp gain, you can build an elite army quite fast, and the overall yields (as you said Iron fist, but also Tyranny, Lebensraum). Only exception would be science yields with MIC and having lots of UI.
Also, I will check out the replay option you said, thanks.

Code:
//int GetBlastTourism()
int CvLuaUnit::lGetBlastTourism(lua_State* L)
{
CvUnit* pkUnit = GetInstance(L);
#if defined(MOD_BALANCE_CORE)
if(MOD_BALANCE_CORE_NEW_GP_ATTRIBUTES && pkUnit && pkUnit->getBlastTourism() > 0)
{
CvPlayer &kUnitOwner = GET_PLAYER(pkUnit->getOwner());
PlayerTypes eOwner = pkUnit->plot()->getOwner();
if (eOwner != NO_PLAYER)
{
InfluenceLevelTypes eLevel = kUnitOwner.GetCulture()->GetInfluenceLevel(eOwner);
if(eLevel <= INFLUENCE_LEVEL_EXOTIC)
{
int iTourismNeededForFamiliar = GC.getCULTURE_LEVEL_FAMILIAR() + 2;
int iInfluenceOn = kUnitOwner.GetCulture()->GetInfluenceOn(eOwner);
int iLifetimeCulture = GET_PLAYER(eOwner).GetJONSCultureEverGenerated();
int iTourismDifference = 0;
//Get % needed for Familiarity
if (iTourismNeededForFamiliar > 0)
{
iTourismDifference = (iLifetimeCulture * iTourismNeededForFamiliar) / 100;
}
//Subtract existing %
iTourismDifference -= iInfluenceOn;
lua_pushinteger(L, iTourismDifference);
return 1;
}
}
}
#endif
const int iResult = pkUnit->getBlastTourism();
lua_pushinteger(L, iResult);
return 1;
}

While iron fist may give higher yields overall, these are not distributed to the cities, so they don't really help me with unhappiness (the big show stoper for wide in huge maps, unless you can get lots and lots of landmarks in this version). I think autocracy's strength lies in the cheaper upgrading+bigger exp gain, you can build an elite army quite fast, and the overall yields (as you said Iron fist, but also Tyranny, Lebensraum). Only exception would be science yields with MIC and having lots of UI.
Also, I will check out the replay option you said, thanks.
Vassals do give Happiness and Iron Fist adds a 2.5x modifier to whatever Vassal Happiness you have as well. Don't know if that's better than Freedom but it is there.

About the replay...I went back and read your post and I just wanted to clarify that it's just the map based replay, you can't see actual unit fights, just cities being built, changing hands...

Code:
//int GetBlastTourism()
int CvLuaUnit::lGetBlastTourism(lua_State* L)
{
CvUnit* pkUnit = GetInstance(L);
#if defined(MOD_BALANCE_CORE)
if(MOD_BALANCE_CORE_NEW_GP_ATTRIBUTES && pkUnit && pkUnit->getBlastTourism() > 0)
{
CvPlayer &kUnitOwner = GET_PLAYER(pkUnit->getOwner());
PlayerTypes eOwner = pkUnit->plot()->getOwner();
if (eOwner != NO_PLAYER)
{
InfluenceLevelTypes eLevel = kUnitOwner.GetCulture()->GetInfluenceLevel(eOwner);
if(eLevel <= INFLUENCE_LEVEL_EXOTIC)
{
int iTourismNeededForFamiliar = GC.getCULTURE_LEVEL_FAMILIAR() + 2;
int iInfluenceOn = kUnitOwner.GetCulture()->GetInfluenceOn(eOwner);
int iLifetimeCulture = GET_PLAYER(eOwner).GetJONSCultureEverGenerated();
int iTourismDifference = 0;
//Get % needed for Familiarity
if (iTourismNeededForFamiliar > 0)
{
iTourismDifference = (iLifetimeCulture * iTourismNeededForFamiliar) / 100;
}
//Subtract existing %
iTourismDifference -= iInfluenceOn;
lua_pushinteger(L, iTourismDifference);
return 1;
}
}
}
#endif
const int iResult = pkUnit->getBlastTourism();
lua_pushinteger(L, iResult);
return 1;
}
I don't understand this function...is this saying that the instant Tourism procs depend on Influence level and your own accumulated Culture?

I have a question about other Civs DoW'ing my vassal; where in a previous version (I recall) they would make peace instantly, in this one they don't, and I will be thrown into war to protect my vassal. The question: does the DoW against my vassal take me into account or is that a separate thing? The Civs seem very eager to DoW my vassal who has been relatively peaceful, so I'm curious as to the reason why (and why they don't DoW me directly if their bone to pick is with me).

I have a question about other Civs DoW'ing my vassal; where in a previous version (I recall) they would make peace instantly, in this one they don't, and I will be thrown into war to protect my vassal. The question: does the DoW against my vassal take me into account or is that a separate thing? The Civs seem very eager to DoW my vassal who has been relatively peaceful, so I'm curious as to the reason why (and why they don't DoW me directly if their bone to pick is with me).
Although they do take account with the master's status to the vassal, if they have an injury to pick with the vassal, they'll declare on the vassal instead of you.

Although they do take account with the master's status to the vassal, if they have an injury to pick with the vassal, they'll declare on the vassal instead of you.
Is this a new thing? I've always thought they could only declare on the master (or at least that's the intended way).

I don't understand this function...is this saying that the instant Tourism procs depend on Influence level and your own accumulated Culture?
I believe the function posted only gives the result when you're at most Exotic with the target civ.
We'd need to take a look at
pkUnit->getBlastTourism()
to get the general case.

Is this a new thing? I've always thought they could only declare on the master (or at least that's the intended way).

Its a new part of the ongoing vassal bug where civs can DoW directly on the vassal. It used to be that they could declare war and get a single turn of action before the game did some kind of 2nd check on the vassal and then forced peace. Nowadays I've noticed sometimes the war will continue and doesn't get corrected by that second check.

I'm also not sure if AI are properly considering the strength of a master and all their vassals either.

Its a new part of the ongoing vassal bug where civs can DoW directly on the vassal. It used to be that they could declare war and get a single turn of action before the game did some kind of 2nd check on the vassal and then forced peace. Nowadays I've noticed sometimes the war will continue and doesn't get corrected by that second check.

I'm also not sure if AI are properly considering the strength of a master and all their vassals either.

It isn’t a bug - if for some reason the AI finds a way to DOW a vassal through non standard channels, the master will now correctly be at war as well.

G

It isn’t a bug - if for some reason the AI finds a way to DOW a vassal through non standard channels, the master will now correctly be at war as well.

G

Unless this was fixed in the May patch, this doesn't always happen. I specifically remember it happening during a playthrough on this patch because it was annoying since the declaring civ had a Defensive Pact with a civ I didn't want to be at war with.

If it happens in my current playthrough I'll post a picture and report it with better details. I don't think it is an issue with any other mods I have since they don't change anything relating to the base game mechanics.

Wow. Finally got around to playing this patch and it is booooring. I conquered/vassalized my home continent in early medieval, and then spent the rest of the game, up to industrial, paying for it. I'm in industrial now and I haven't been in a good enough place for :c5happy: to invade anyone else; I'm thinking I'll just quit. This is just the same old slog of obsessing over happiness, except it's 60%:c5happy: instead of 0:c5happy:. Interested to hear if the new patch has gone far enough to actually fix this; I suspect PWs need to be made cheaper; they take 7-12 turns to complete in my cities right now, and that's too long for what they do, even now that they've been doubled.

I suspect the problem is actually worse in the new version, with the new threshold going up to 75%, but we’ll see

Last edited:
Wow. Finally got around to playing this patch and it is booooring. I conquered/vassalized my home continent in early medieval, and then spent the rest of the game, up to industrial, paying for it. I'm in industrial now and I haven't been in a good enough place for :c5happy: to invade anyone else; I'm thinking I'll just quit.

In my game (that I now finished) I reached the low 40's in happiness during those eras and still warmongered a bit but mostly defensive wars and tried my best to keep my yields and infrastructure up while beelining Archeology. I had already captured quite a bit of land (about 25% of the map in a standard Pangea) and pushed myself in tech and culture enough to be able to tank for the next era; the top 4 civs and I were neck to neck in tech and culture. The moment I got Archeology I had already prepared and positioned military and started to spam Landmarks, which allowed me to go on another conquering spree.

Overall that was the opposite of boring for me; also this was on Emperor difficulty (with the OptionsConsidered modified to "1").

Wow. Finally got around to playing this patch and it is booooring. I conquered/vassalized my home continent in early medieval, and then spent the rest of the game, up to industrial, paying for it. I'm in industrial now and I haven't been in a good enough place for :c5happy: to invade anyone else; I'm thinking I'll just quit. This is just the same old slog of obsessing over happiness, except it's 60%:c5happy: instead of 0:c5happy:. Interested to hear if the new patch has gone far enough to actually fix this; I suspect PWs need to be made cheaper; they take 7-12 turns to complete in my cities right now, and that's too long for what they do, even now that they've been doubled.

I suspect the problem is actually worse in the new version, with the new threshold going up to 75%, but we’ll see
I felt city happiness was pretty manageable, it's just annexing cities that really drags your happiness down. Puppeting is okay but since you can't mitigate it in any way it just adds up.

Conquest is hard happiness-wise, and I felt that when I played Songhai and rushed my neighbours, but a non-conquest oriented game shouldn't have a hard time.

I didn't build a single Public Works in this version, I'll see if it's worth it in the next.

I was playing Macedon, whose kit is entirely centred on annexing. This patch was kryptonite.

If this is the new paradigm I’m thinking I need to give macedon some tools to combat the unhappiness of annexations directly. Annexations as a core playstyle are nerfed to hell this patch, and I don’t see anything about 5/19 that changes this overmuch

Last edited:
I was playing Macedon, whose kit is entirely centred on annexing. This patch was kryptonite.

If this is the new paradigm I’m thinking I need to give macedon some tools to combat the unhappiness of annexations directly. Annexations as a core playstyle are nerfed to hell this patch, and I don’t see anything about 5/19 that changes this overmuch

What issue were you having? I had over 20 cities annexed as Mongolia on this patch without happiness issues, you just need to make sure you monitor unhappiness extremely closely. And G reduced empire and tech modifiers to happiness so it should be slightly easier to maintain larger empires now.

But I'm not familiar with the Macedon kit so I'm not sure.

If you were playing 4UC Mongolia, he has 1% global :c5unhappy: illiteracy, boredom, and empire size modifier for each owned/annexed city with the Yassa, so you probably had a -25% empire size modifier. Mongolia has a specific tool to combat super-wide unhappiness in 4UC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom