New Beta Version - March 14th (3/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A colonist settler will always found a colony, but a settler will found a colony when outside a certain range of the capital (all of these can be modified in the user settings, however).

You can't toggle it at your leisure, no - you can make a colony, turn it into a real city (with a Great Magistrate/Dignitary from RtP), but otherwise it'll stay a colony. But it, for me at least, solves the issue of micromanaging late-game cities - which is the main inspiration behind the system.

Why would you ever turn it into a normal city? I'd say it would be more desirable to leave most cities automated while you focus on your military targets. Like we already do with workers (micromanage them the first turns, when it's really important to control what they are doing, and automate them later, when anything they do is fine whilst they keep working).

Oh, forget about what I say. Your mod seems good, thematic and relieves some tedious work.

To be honest, I agree that wide is always better. The penalties that are currently in place do not make wide situationally worse than tall; they are merely a temporary setback to slow wide down from getting all the bonuses it will eventually get. In the end, wide will catch up in terms of effective yields despite the penalties, and once it does the advantage is permanent.

More luxuries, more strategic resources both in quantity and diversity, more military strength, more world congress project contribution... these are all bonuses that going tall will not allow you to get over wide. However, the science and culture penalty can easily be recouped by a wide empire, making tall's advantage only significant early.

Which I don't mind, because realistically a large empire is supposed to be stronger than a small one. The only permanent tradeoff from playing wide is the ease of management, but if I play civ, I have time for that.

Why would you ever turn it into a normal city? I'd say it would be more desirable to leave most cities automated while you focus on your military targets.

Tbh I don't know, but a lot of people asked for a means to assimilating Colonies when it was first released, so I provided one. You're not obliged to use GM/GD to assimilate Colonies and, in fact, they serve better functions IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom