New Beta Version - March 1st (3/1)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

The universal system has one major benefit: it is universal. It's easy to understand once you see it. Also, if you start locking wonders behind other walls (like GPT, or SPT, or FPT, etc.), they become 'win more' buttons, not strategic choices. Policies and Science are fairly 'neutral' entities, and play to the two major passive/active bonus systems of the game (policies and technologies). Religion already has a few 'holy city' wonders, and the national wonders, and that's enough to make it separate. Since policies have unique wonders, making the tech wonders an AND system with policies rounds out the pro/con of going heavy science/heavy culture.

In short, the system is as fragmented as it can be without lots of obfuscation.

G

2. Synge

Synge Chieftain

Maybe I missed it but has anything been done to affect tourism? As a player, I don't seem to be generating any despite getting a bunch of different pop ups saying I'd gained some.

Granted I've just entered the classical age.

3. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

I'd say that's true already without the culture change.

4. Wario Mario

Wario Mario Warlord

Good considerations.

I would hope the requirements wouldn't be set too high. For example, Stonehenge shouldn't have a requirment at all, but the later religious wonders would require an amount of faith, or that you founded a religion, or that a certain % of your nation/the world is following your religion.

So if you're the weakest founder, you might be able to snipe University of sankore from the religious leader. I just don't want civs that have clearly gone for science or culture in lieu of religion to get it.

5. Gazebo

Popups are instant tourism, not permanent tourism.

G

6. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

An alternative to the proposed "AND" unlocking mechanism for wonders (Players need both the tech AND a certain number of policies) would be refining the currently introduced "OR" system.

It seems the number of policies needed was too low (wonders where too often unlocked by policies before the tech unlock kicked in). And we need to limit the unlocked wonders per social policy to 2, maybe 3 if needed. Currently it's up to 5 wonders per policy I think.

7. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Besides refining the number of policies required to unlock the wonder,maybe it would be better that for unlocking the wonders with policies your research shouldn't be far behind. Maybe something like: the required number of polcies + a technology researched from the same column as the technology which unlocks the wonder.

8. mikes61293

mikes61293 Warlord

I agree, the AI seems to be getting religions much faster now. It also makes religious city states and natural wonders much more powerful now.

I think it's just a numbers thing where the AI bonuses and different civs have to be balanced around the new system.

I'd like to see an AND system as well. However the number of policies required should be different for different wonders. Some wonders should have a low tech, high social policy cost that makes it easy for cultural civs to get and other wonders should have a trivial social policy cost which means the first to reach that tech will have a good chance at it. Other should be fairly balanced.

I'd like to see them spawn later or move the trireme to fishing.

9. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

That's a fairly reasonable proposal, however if that's the intention why not just add more wonders to be built from certain policy trees. I don't really see the need to do this to the base wonders if the intention is to just allow high culture civs wonders.

It's a more elegant solution. You could take the culture social policy, and make each policy unlock a wonder that you can build. Issue solved.

10. Barbaro

Barbaro Chieftain

/\
    I agree with Taikavarpu.
    :thumbsup:

11. Zares

Zares Warlord

I think it's a good system, because before this change ppl spammed some Wonders just because they liked some of them and not for some kind of grand strategy.

Not sure what exactly mod added it, but I can build Galley as well :p I only use JFD's mods (Exploration Continued Expanded, Cultural Diversity, Raise to Power and Cities in Development). For now, there is problem with Wonders if using JFD's mods with CPP, but except this, everything is compatible and I cannot imagine playing without them :p (The only exception is MP which is fun with pure CPP) CPP is still the only thing that keeps me playing Civ, but with JFD's mods is even better :) I hope he'll fix compatibility soon.

Anyways, yes, there should be possibility to build early ships in pure CPP. What if someone wants to play that map with a lot of small islands (I forgot a name) with raging barbarians? :p

12. mavol6

mavol6 Chieftain

anyone experiencing crashes during this new patch?, my game is closing after then 2-4 turn.

13. Gazebo

14. Guynemer

Guynemer King

I had the same problem; it resolved after I deactivated my other mods (InfoAddict and Quick Turns).

:dunno:

15. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Do you want minidumps for hotseat games?

16. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

I like the idea that culture and science are both valuable for unlocking wonders. I think culture is a tad overpowered in this specific iteration, but I think the core idea is sound.

Hiding certain wonders in certain policies also forces people to play a more rote game, and stops denial play almost entirely.

17. mavol6

mavol6 Chieftain

pardon my ignorance, what do i have to do for that?

18. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Can we somehow make Venice not choose Pyramids as an option for wonder building? Seems a waste to me.

All they are getting is 1:c5culture:, which can be gained by another, easier building and 25% improvement building which also can be sought by taking Expertise as a policy.

Unless they are given a Great Merchant instead of the settler. Not sure, do they?

EDIT: Looks like they do. Damn Venice just took the only CS in the vicinity and it is only turn 55. In that case, disregard seems reasonable to me as an option.

19. Synge

Synge Chieftain

To which file do I need to add this?

20. Gazebo

They get a Great Merchant.

G