New Beta Version - March 1st (3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @CrazyG mentioned this previously once before.

Can we talk about later game city strength? Because late game city defenses are surprisingly weak and ineffective, particularly against naval units. Ironclads have 60cs and can have promotions vs cities. Even with arsenals and comparable units in the cities, I'm losing cities even if my cities are only exposed to the ocean on one spot. It seems like if the enemy has access to my cities (i.e., I don't have a massive navy to drive them back) they will be able to take my cities. It's frustrating, because the Ironclads are so much stronger. I'm not sure why. They're hitting the city like GDRs.

Anyone still experiences CTD on early turns even with pure VP without modmods? I have such problem since 2-18 version and now installed 3-1 and is even worse (CTD on first 20 turns).

What logs do you need to analyse that?

I played 1-11 for a long time and have no such problem. Now mod is unplayable for me.

Never had a CTD so far. (VP with IGE, no other mods usually, only small or standard maps. Atm turn 200+, small map, latest version)

As a casual player I’d say that it’s not that there’s too much info but rather that it’s poorly presented.

That's a relatable sentiment. VP is rather complex. Do you mind if I ask if you are using EUI? If so, do you read the notifications that pop up? I tend to dismiss them reflexively at times but there is a lot of useful information there.

Maybe we can work on refining the notifications system so that it's easier to find things that are important? I have noticed that for example when you get a notification about completing a building or city-state quest you only get told the first example and the reward rather than the specifics of each one. Notifications for instant yields sometimes appear on the turn after they have triggered which can also be confusing. Not something I've looked at in detail recently but it might be good to see if we can communicate the information more clearly.

That's a relatable sentiment. VP is rather complex. Do you mind if I ask if you are using EUI? If so, do you read the notifications that pop up? I tend to dismiss them reflexively at times but there is a lot of useful information there.

Maybe we can work on refining the notifications system so that it's easier to find things that are important? I have noticed that for example when you get a notification about completing a building or city-state quest you only get told the first example and the reward rather than the specifics of each one. Notifications for instant yields sometimes appear on the turn after they have triggered which can also be confusing. Not something I've looked at in detail recently but it might be good to see if we can communicate the information more clearly.
We already did that. The current system is where we agreed the information was both short and informative.

We already did that. The current system is where we agreed the information was both short and informative.

OK. I don't see any harm in discussing the subject though. Chances are I wasn't around when that conversation happened and others may not have been either. Understanding the reasons certain choices were made can help us distinguish between what is by design and what might tolerate further improvement, if any.

Speaking of notifications, some of them like tourism rise/drop are impossible to read beyond the first entry because left clicking on them causes a popup instead.

OK. I don't see any harm in discussing the subject though. Chances are I wasn't around when that conversation happened and others may not have been either. Understanding the reasons certain choices were made can help us distinguish between what is by design and what might tolerate further improvement, if any.
I don't see harm, but after a system has been thoroughly designed (and it was, it took us like two months), you have to come with a well thought proposal first if you want to reopen the issue with some success.

I don't see harm, but after a system has been thoroughly designed (and it was, it took us like two months), you have to come with a well thought proposal first if you want to reopen the issue with some success.

OK. My current intention is simply to gauge interest. It may be there is no need for change.

I don’t use EUI. That might help. I’m just leery about editing files so I didn’t mess with it.

I don’t use EUI. That might help. I’m just leery about editing files so I didn’t mess with it.

I don't like messing with files myself. The Vox Populi installer does EUI for you though, you just click the 'install with EUI' option :).

Edit: just read an issue related to EUI on github. Wasn't aware of that, sorry. I just did what I always do and this beta installed fine for me.

Last edited:
Tried another peaceful game, this time with Byzantium. Catherine entered the Industrial era on turn 158 with 16 wonders, 39(I think) techs and 8 cities. That's 1 tech basically every 4 turns and one world wonder every 10 turns (or taking into account that for the first 40 turns wonders get more or less evenly distributed between the AIs, that's one wonder every 8 turns or so).

Still, I'd be somewhat cautiously optimistic about a competitive game by slowly catching up had my first spy not performed 4 successful CS election riggings without being promoted and if I hadn't encountered other similar problems as with my Portugal game. So maybe have "the Renaissance spy" come as a level 3 spy to jump-start the espionage game for everyone?

So maybe have "the Renaissance spy" come as a level 3 spy to jump-start the espionage game for everyone?

I don't like that at all. I wish we could have more interesting spying by simply nerfing first level ones (25% maybe) and boosting third level considerably (25 or 33%) so investing in espionage management would pay off, and stealing would be more viable later in the game, while also more risky, as a third level spy would be a real asset after such changes.

Another bug in this beta is gold stealing. From being OP and annoing AF, in my capital without a counterspy, every time gold stolen was 60 gold, even when I had 2000 in bank. That is on @Gazebo hotfix.

Another bug in this beta is gold stealing. From being OP and annoing AF, in my capital without a counterspy, every time gold stolen was 60 gold, even when I had 2000 in bank.

Still seems like an improvement from loosing 2000 gold in one go. Probably too low (except in the early game), but have some appreciation for effort being made to improve things rather than just saying 'fix it'.

Still seems like an improvement from loosing 2000 gold in one go. Probably too low (except in the early game), but have some appreciation for effort being made to improve things rather than just saying 'fix it'.

It is not an improvement at all, it is possible that one of devs tried to improve that but made some typo in the code, and it is now fixed to irrelevant amount of gold. They would appreciate pointing out a common mistake, not praising it. They are many great improvements and that was the topic of my first post in this thread. Probably too low in your opinion... yeah 60 gold in renaissance, let alone modern when it's still like that... yeah, probably, but it is a really tiny chance...

It is not an improvement at all, it is possible that one of devs tried to improve that but made some typo in the code, and it is now fixed to irrelevant amount of gold. They would appreciate pointing out a common mistake, not praising it. They are many great improvements and that was the topic of my first post in this thread. Probably too low in your opinion... yeah 60 gold in renaissance, let alone modern when it's still like that... yeah, probably, but it is a really tiny chance...
So do you have a suggestion on what it should be or are you just complaining about everything without trying to be constructive?

Chill out a bit guys, he is right about that. Also his tone is like 100 times better (and in my opinion no longer a problem) than it was like a month ago.

I don't like messing with files myself. The Vox Populi installer does EUI for you though, you just click the 'install with EUI' option :).

Edit: just read an issue related to EUI on github. Wasn't aware of that, sorry. I just did what I always do and this beta installed fine for me.
It's always been like this since the autoinstaller was introduced. If you installed Steam in a standard location, the autoinstaller does everything for you. However, if your Steam installation is in a non-standard non-default location (= not C:/Program Files/etc.), then autoinstaller creates a new default folder structure on drive C: and places EUI there. You have to move it manually to your Steam/DLC folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom