1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ linked to new resource

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nujabes, Apr 11, 2013.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Bakti textiles aren't exactly famous... I never even heard of them.

2. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Well, that settles it. San Francisco is the new civ. QED.

3. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Port is a fortified wine, which means that it kept longer than normal wine, long enough to make long sea voyages. Port, along with Madeira, another fortified wine, provided quite a significant trade for Portugal with Britain and the American colonies from about 1700 onwards. In BNW, you get more gold from your international trade routes if you have resources the other civ doesn't have, and this would help with that.

4. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

For all those who said Canada-Moose I would say something else maybe beavers or Caribou moose aren't as important here as for Inuit I don't know.

5. Loaf Warden

I can't say I understood the moose thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are delicious. I'll not deny that! But who thinks of them as a resource? It would be an odd resource to add even if Canada is the civ they're talking about.

If it is Canada, then surely the resource linked to them would be maple, wouldn't it? I mean, maple is pretty big in New England, too, but that's not going to be a civ. But the Canadians like it so much they put it on their flag! Maple/Canada I could see. Moose/Canada doesn't make any sense.

6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Batik was quite popular in the West for a while, though still a niche thing, however it's as much associated with Malaysia as Indonesia (indeed I once visited a Batik workshop in Kota Bharu).

7. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Moose frankly sounds like something a modder would do to parody Canada :mischief:

Seals though, them seals. Read some of the Russian colonists interactions with natives and seals, read the documents of US Fish and Wildlife Services basically using Inuits as slaves [Interesting fact, did you know Alaskan natives had a death rate slightly higher than those of Soviet POW camps in WWII under the oversight of the US government?], Viking-Inuit conflicts, etc.

Seals the real deal

8. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

Canada and maple syrup, it's so obvious.

9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Pfft.

Canada's unique resource is poutine, although maple syrup is a good alternate choice.

10. Loaf Warden

Bagged milk. :p

11. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

I haven' tread the thread but if anyone has suggested rubber or coffee, I'm with them.

Dark horse candidate: guano.

12. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

I completely forgot about maple syrup but then again I can't get the natural stuff from my position cause live in Alberta where you get everything but maple but it is delicious poutine is the best and should be a resource, just in case they don't choose maple syrup.

13. spacedinosaur

spacedinosaur Chieftain

Agreed, however glass should be able to be produced by every civ, as resources are plopped at random on a map. I'm a big fan of Venice being in this game, especially with commerce and trade interfaces. We could also be thinking about paints in relation to Tuscony (but also used by other civs as well and can be used to create works of art). Coffee would be cool, especially considering this Gran Colombia theory that popped up and keeps recurring. It can grow across the globe. I'm a fan of the Bolívar theory. Another big contender for me is maple syrup, however.. who would be the leader of Canada?

Animals have to be able to be found globally in order for it to make sense. BISON (not buffalo.. those are in Africa) are American, so a Chinese improvement of bison doesn't quite work. Same goes for the moose and kangaroo theories. If you want more animals, think chickens or something that is way more common.

14. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

So you're okay with Aztecs and horses?

15. spacedinosaur

spacedinosaur Chieftain

Not entirely, although there are wild horses in America. Rice comes from Asia, but you can still grow it here.

The problem is that they have to be common cross-culturally and globally. Horses were domesticated and brought around the world, so were cows, sheep, pigs.. (the animals you already see in the game). You don't see animals that are continent-specific; think along the domesticated animal route.

16. Nujabes

Nujabes Prince

Why would the animal need to be found globally when it has been insinuated that even saying what the resource is would give the civilization away? If anything, it's the opposite.

17. spacedinosaur

spacedinosaur Chieftain

The best indicator of what is to come is what has happened in the past. Here are the animals that are currently in Civ V:
    Game animals: Foxes, Deer, Elephant... all found on multiple continents
    Domesticated animals: Cows, Horses, Sheep, Pigs... all found on multiple continents
    Aquatic animals: Fish, Whales, Crabs, Clams... found in all oceans

With that.. ANY other resource in Civ V is found on multiple continents.

Unless they do something COMPLETELY new, I'd say the best bet for a new animal would be chickens, ducks, rabbits or camels.

Can you name me an animal that would "give away" any one civilization (and not another)?

18. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Prince

Haven't read most of the thread yet, but I'm currently playing a mod where an improvement can give/discover a new resource on a tile that doesn't have any. When the improvement is on a tile that has a resource (to be revealed later in the game), it just never reveals a new resource on that tile.

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Maybe the resource is Pho and the civ is Vietnam and the UB producing Pho is a noodle house/Pho Restaurant. :p

20. Haig

Haig Deity

If it's Rubber and Kongo, I think it mostly would relate to the darkest era there, under the cruel Belgian colonial rule. Was there a rubber industry there before Belgians too? If not I doubt the connection.

Would work great with the Africa scenario though!