New Civ look Poland

What happens to wonders that are being taken AFTER they are finished? Poland just gets full benefits?

1. Does anyone know what's the background for the leader? It seems to be a painting or something...
2. Did you get music files for Poland? I don't see any in the OST folder...

2. Did you get music files for Poland? I don't see any in the OST folder...
They were already in the base game, from day one, when the game was released. Or at least, they were on YouTube, for I added them to my ever-growing Civilization IV soundtrack.

They were already in the base game, from day one, when the game was released. Or at least, they were on YouTube, for I added them to my ever-growing Civilization IV soundtrack.
I know that. I even extracted them from the game files. But the thing is music files in the OST folder have much better bitrate.

Wow, Poland looks indeed stronk. Unfortunately there's no direct bonus towards their ability to into space, but a faith and expansion Civ looks very interesting indeed.

Now the obligatory memes are out of the way, Jadwiga herself looks good, but while the symbolism of her outfit is presumably the union of the two thrones, it does look a little bit like motley.

In other news the scenario has the Turks with Janissaries! Shame they didn't just knock up a leaderhead and give us a full Ottoman civ! They're surely on their way, but it's a bit of a tease to have them in the scenario and nowhere else!

I do find the sheer number of bonuses a bit overwhelming. Jadwiga's UA has three separate components and Poland's UA has two, and then there's also the UU and UB. Seven unique things about a civilization is a lot. I think it might be more elegant to reduce the number of uniques and make them more memorable. Contrast Poland's plethora of bonuses with those of a simple Civ like Greece or Rome; I think the latter kind of design is less cluttered and more effective.

Poland is the Christmas tree Civ. All sorts of different pretty things hanging all over the show ;)

How come no one have commented about what is probably Poland's best unique, their UB? I'd take that +4 gold to internal trade routes anytime.

Wow, Poland looks indeed stronk. Unfortunately there's no direct bonus towards their ability to into space, but a faith and expansion Civ looks very interesting indeed.

Of course, Poland cannot into space.

I like the design. I like Poland :) Merry Christmas to all civfanatics, 2K, and Firaxis ;)

And please fix the bugs and the AI :)

Last edited:
Poland looks like a phenomenal religious/military victory civ.

The one military policy acts as wildcard policy allows you to found an early pantheon (without sacrificing the crucial +1 hammer), which gives you the boost to Mysticism, which allows you run the Great Prophet card (like Greece), and get your religion founded fast, on par with Russia's Lavra or China's Stonehenge.

Then you take Crusade or Defender of Faith. You forward settle an opponent and start building an encampment (maybe bring a worker to chop it). You either A) have an easier time taking the city or B) an easier time holding the city after conquering it and/or C) can spend your faith on converting other cities farther back/away, since all you have to do is finish an encampment to convert that city.

So the converted policy slot and religious-conversion upon culture bomb have great potential just by themselves - but wait, there are like 5 other bonuses. The standard faith adjacency bonus from districts supports getting enough faith to get missionaries out and will be very reliable and controllable.

The Winged Hussar and the Sukiennence are great too. They have their downsides and aren't OP, but I view them very positively.

The Winged Hussar is at Mercenaries on the Civics tree in the late medieval era. Heavy Cav unit with 55 strength and 3 gold maintenance, costing 250 production. It can't be prebuilt or upgraded into, but upgrades into a tank. So your opponents will definitely get to knights before you can even sniff Winged Hussars, and Knights cost 180 production for 7 less strength than the 250 production Winged Hussar. But the Winged Hussar will clearly beat all medieval units once it's out and is vastly preferable to the 240 production/4 gold maintenance Musketman which comes later, has 2 movement, and requires Niter.

Unfortunately the policy card to boost production of Winged Hussars is at the bottom of the tree, at Divine Right, which requires 2 Temples to boost, a high opportunity cost boost. So it looks like a great unit but will take some time to get it out on the field, and if your opponent puts as much production into Knights as you do WH, he/she can build 7 knights for the same production cost as 5 hussars, not even considering upgrades from heavy chariots. How many turns are needed to allow 5 Winged Hussars to beat 7+ knights in a vacuum? Probably more time than it takes for them to tech to Musketman. But - you put Winged Hussar's together with Crusade and forward-settled culture bombs, and maybe a GG from those encampments - and you've got some easy cities to conquer. Or - the Winged Hussar will be wonderfully resistant to Crossbowman - they serve as fantastic vehicles for hostile religious conversions with Apostles behind the front lines.

The downside of the Sukiennence is that most of the time you want to use trade routes to boost a very young city, giving it extra production/food, but the Sukiennence only works for trade routes originating from the city in which it's built. You could chop woods to get a Commerce Hub and Sukiennence up fast in a young city, but generally speaking it will be best used to get enough gold to pay maintenance on all the Hussars you are putting in the field. Even 3 internal trade routes from a city with this will pay for 6 WH's in conjunction the -1 gold unit maintenance cost policy card, and you use the centralized production from those trade routes to help pump out the Hussars.

Playing against Poland, against an equally skilled opponent - do not forward settle them. Do not allow them to forward settle you - get your units out there in forward defense. Consider that you might have a nice window for a Chariot-->Knight rush since it is unlikely Poland will be making and paying for many Knights or Crossbowman if they are gearing up for Hussars (that said, I will still favor Defender of Faith as Poland). Get your science rate up early so you can tech past the Medieval faster than they can get WH's in the field. Get your own religion and have religious units available if your city gets flipped to Crusade from a culture bomb. Any other tips for playing against Poland?

I can see Poland being very good at Domination with the Crusade belief.

1) build a fort, steal a tile, convert a city

2) declare war, take the city

3) repeat for next city

Ah, but she's a woman.

Anyway, this civilisation seems to have about double as many bonuses as needed, at the least. Perfect for a DLC, sigh.

The fact that a woman was crowned as king and not queen demonstrates her unique fortitude. Only a few women have achieved that throughout the world.

The fact that a woman was crowned as king and not queen demonstrates her unique fortitude. Only a few women have achieved that throughout the world.
Straight from Wikipedia:

"Her crowning either reflected the Polish lords' opposition to her intended future husband, William, adopting the royal title without a further Act or only emphasized that she was a queen regnant."

But no, one might wel argue that being crowned queen is better (assuming the titles are equal), for that means the country at least allows women to serve in this role. I mean, you cannot argue that it is an achievement for a woman to be crowned king.

One thing I like about Civ VI vs. Civ V is that each civilization is more unique because they have more abilities. So I don't think there's a problem with Poland getting too much stuff, maybe, if it is OP, just in tweaking what they get rather than the amount of what they get. I wish every civ got even a few more things to make them all few really unique.

Unfortunately the policy card to boost production of Winged Hussars is at the bottom of the tree, at Divine Right, which requires 2 Temples to boost, a high opportunity cost boost. So it looks like a great unit but will take some time to get it out on the field, and if your opponent puts as much production into Knights as you do WH, he/she can build 7 knights for the same production cost as 5 hussars, not even considering upgrades from heavy chariots. How many turns are needed to allow 5 Winged Hussars to beat 7+ knights in a vacuum? Probably more time than it takes for them to tech to Musketman. But - you put Winged Hussar's together with Crusade and forward-settled culture bombs, and maybe a GG from those encampments - and you've got some easy cities to conquer. Or - the Winged Hussar will be wonderfully resistant to Crossbowman - they serve as fantastic vehicles for hostile religious conversions with Apostles behind the front lines.

Actually, it's not that hard to have 2 Temples as Poland, given that they have good bonuses to religion. Give Apostles the Martyr ability, either via normal (or Yerevan-boosted) promotions, or Mont St. Michel to fully enjoy the Relic bonus. It's another contender for the Relic Cultural Victory, almost just as Kongo (except you now get to found your religion with Reliquaries in exchange for those Relic Slots).

The downside of the Sukiennence is that most of the time you want to use trade routes to boost a very young city, giving it extra production/food, but the Sukiennence only works for trade routes originating from the city in which it's built. You could chop woods to get a Commerce Hub and Sukiennence up fast in a young city, but generally speaking it will be best used to get enough gold to pay maintenance on all the Hussars you are putting in the field. Even 3 internal trade routes from a city with this will pay for 6 WH's in conjunction the -1 gold unit maintenance cost policy card, and you use the centralized production from those trade routes to help pump out the Hussars.

You don't need to run all your trade routes from new cities, just 2-3 per new city should be enough. Use the remaining ones to boost Winged Hussar production in your core cities and get the gold to maintain them (and buy more).

All in all I think Poland got very strong bonuses suitable for almost any type of victory:
  • Strong faith production and religion flipping for Religious Victory
  • Extra bonuses from Relics, which encourages their accumulation (and thus tourism accumulation)
  • Extra gold from internal trade routes, and production from international ones, encouraging use them from one single city (such as your Spaceport city)
  • Winged Hussars, almost as deadly as they were in Civ V (only downside is that no unit upgrade into them), which fits with Civ VI's boosted mounted units (in comparison with Civ V)
  • A guaranteed wildcard slot throughout the game to fit your early game to any victory type.
They're pretty flexible, and thus it's better to first scout around and then adapt your gameplay to your situation. I've been having a blast in a game with them, with plenty of stone and being first to meet Yerevan, which basically screamed Religious Victory.

Last edited:
Why is she dressed like a court jester?

She is from the 14th century, before the development of what we would think of as a female "dress" or "gown," when hemmed wool was newly in fashion, and fine hemmed wools were characteristic of the upper classes. She is also part-French, and the Polish court in general was quite French influenced, as were most of the courts of Eastern Europe in the subsequent centuries.

This is also the same era when not-fine hemmed wools made of patches started being worn by court jesters, and the "motley" of the 14th and 15th centuries stuck around later on as a goof costume even when royal fashion moved on.

It's kind of an irony that in retrospect court jester outfits have been simplified to have relatively fewer patches - this makes them read better and be more iconic by modern standards, but relative to the time of their origin takes away much of the joke of their outfits being so shabby by making them look higher-class.

So, the short answer is - because she's from the time period that jester clothes come from, and jester clothes are the less fancy version of this kind of fancy outfit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom