New Civ: Modern Norway

jorrtappen

Chieftain
This mod is close to completion apart from the AI, and UU which I hope I can reskin. It is Norway based on our last hundred years. A good way to celebrate the 100 years since we became independent.

As leader I chose Einar Gerhardsen ( creative and financial ) and the UU is the HVsoldier ( needs to be tweaked a little. )

I've sent a beta to my brother for gametesting and will realease the final version of the mod when its done.

The screenshot should be attached.

Attachments

• norwaymodjpg.jpg
    norwaymodjpg.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 2,392
i liek it. what will the uniqe unit be?

He said it was the HVsoldier

There was a question about HV and I realise that the unit deserves a better description as it is likely to be unknown to people outside Norway and scandinavia.

The HV-Soldier is a regular conscript from the army who after the obligatory 12 month service return to the civilian life. Contrary to the other conscripts who is basically enrolled into service again on the case of mobilization the HV is given all the equipment and his weapon and stores this at home. He is assigned to a unit in his homearea. These soldiers are not equiped in other ways than regular armymen.

This gives however the HV three great advantages:

1.: He can mobilize and be operational in the field within a few hours after orders are given.

2.: The unit operates on their own hometurf. They know the terrain like their own pockets.

3.:The HV-soldier are spread all over the country and is therefore always everywhere.

In real life the unit is not an attacking unit. It is intended for defensive action against an invader. To slow down and sabotage as much as possible for the enemy until NATO forces arrive. Remember that the only enemy Norway have faced since WW2 is the potential invasion from Soviet and against such a large enemy Norways stratagy was to defend until help came along.
Today with Soviet gone HV is trained more towards securing objects in case of terroristattacks or their threats.

To portrait this ingame I plan to give the unit defensive bonuses, so that it is other units more tempting to use for agressive purposes.

Hope this clear some questions.

A good way to really encourage defensive use, would be to maybe lower the owerall strength a point or two... and then giving it every defensive promotion you can find, making it a beast to attack, but not very strong on the offensive.

...somewhat like a CivIII-infantry, but a little more balanced.

Thanks.
Up until now I had just picked a random and tagged it Norway. This gives it abit more of a homie touch :)

At the moment I am waiting for my brother to finish testing the mod for bugs. So far none.

It is now playable and as you're Norwegian I'd like to offer you to help metest it if you'd like.

if so, take contact with me

@jorrtappen:First of all they have similar units in several countries, both in Europe and the United States. The U.S. National Guard is in many regards similar to the Norwegian Heimevern (HV), as is the German Landwehr. In the United Kingdom the variation is the Territorial Army, which also incorporates SF-type units like the 23. SAS Regiment. This is also true of the Norwegian HV as it has a unit called 016 (HV-Spes).

Not all HV-soldiers have completed 12 months of service in the armed forces. Before there was a unique national service which lasted 6 months for those intended to join the HV. During their training they specialized in various military skills depending on what kind of HV-unit they would join, but most specialized in ranger skills. Today, many of those who get discharged before they have completed their 12 months of service are transferred to their local HV-unit.

Even though most HV-soldiers will use traditional infantry equipment, their equipment has been upgraded in recent years - reflecting an overall change in equipment for the Norwegian armed forces. In addition the HV have quite alot of 12.7 mm sniper rifles (Barrett M82A1 "Light Fifty") and the Carl Gustav M2 84 mm Recoilless Rifle.

Even though most HV-soldiers will use traditional infantry equipment, their equipment has been upgraded in recent years - reflecting an overall change in equipment for the Norwegian armed forces. In addition the HV have quite alot of 12.7 mm sniper rifles (Barrett M82A1 "Light Fifty") and the Carl Gustav M2 84 mm Recoilless Rifle.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes. That is true in all regarrds, but there is little else that is unique about the norwegian army ellsewhere. Besides I feel thatr the comparison with the US National Guard is slightly off as they are , as far as I know, for internal use as norwegian HV is for defensive purposes in an invasion. I might be wrong.... HV is spillting into two layers st the moment. One elite and one regular.

According to you Halmboy, perhaps they should make a union-civ of Sweden and Norway. I liked the medieval mod in Civ-conquest, where you could play Norway, Sweden and Denmark :D

Halmboy said:
jortappen: When will this mod be downloadable :p ?

Well, you see. I got a little carried away in the Rome:Total Realism mod. ( Brilliant btw, highly recommended. )
So things have been going slowly for a while. Now I've got to edit the AI files (the interact Player/CPU diplomacy thing) to make Norway act reasonably similar to the real Norway and to change the skin for the unique unit. This is the first attempt at Civ4modding so I have to learn as I go along and thats makes for a lot of browsing through forums for answers.

But I am working at it at the moment and should be finished at the end of January.

Frostyboy said:
According to you Halmboy, perhaps they should make a union-civ of Sweden and Norway. I liked the medieval mod in Civ-conquest, where you could play Norway, Sweden and Denmark :D

YES! THAT WOULD BE GREAT:D And the leaders could be King Oscar II or something like that:D I would love that:p So instead of Scandinavia, maybe I should demand the Norway-Sweden union as a civ :p
yeah, I loved that scenario too! I love to play as Norway:D I want that map back:( I really miss it! I want that back, with all the civ you could play as in the Civ 3 scenario! I hope that map will come back :(

OKej, so i'll have to wait some more...

Hows it going? Was woundering if you could release it and if theres still any bugs we could do the rest of the beta-testing for you. Planning on starting a new huge game in Maraton speed, where I remove the US from the world map and replace it with Norway (as the vikings where the first europeans to travel to america), but I need a Norwegian civilization :)

Top Bottom