New Civ - The Confederate States of America

Wirklichkeit said:
Is anyone else having this problem?

Its strange, sometimes the flags work and sometimes they do not when dealing with new civs.

I know that there is a way to alter the dds and xml files, I just have no skill, knowledge or correct program type to alter them.

Other than this, the mod runs fine.

Sadistik said:
Southern nationalists hated the GOP until Nixon. Afterwards, the polarities reversed. The descendants of slaves, a GOP beacon of support jumped, as did the angry hicks.

I don't get it. Did people really not understand my sarcasm? As for post-Nixon changes in voting patterns, saying "the polarities reversed" is both reductive and inaccurate. Granted, the vote skews Republican in the modern South. However, It's inaccurate because the party attachment is nothing like it was in the Solid South, where Republicans were always completely butchered electorally. It's reductive because the constellation of issues facing voters - and in fact our the basic nature of national government - is so radically different now than it was at the time of the Civil War that trying to assign these voting patterns to strictly Civil War/Race/Reconstruction issues is absurd. No matter who one votes for nowadays, you're still voting for a post-New-Deal egalitarian administrative state candidate, which would have been unrecognizable to a citizen of the Confederacy. Besides that, a thoroughgoing advocate of states' rights would be pretty repulsed by the aggregation of federal power called for by President Bush's neoconservative policies.
Please understand that this is not meant to be political, and I'm not expressing an opinion about any of the above philosophies or policy choices. Only trying to point out the silliness, unnecessarity, and needless provocativeness of trying to relate a video game representation of a long-extinguished nation-state to the region 150 years hence.

Wirklichkeit said:
Yeah, clearly, those Confederates sure loved the Republican party.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Funny that... since at the time (1860s) the lothed the Republicans...

I hate stating the obvious..

but just more proof Sarcasm doesnt work on the internet.

Satire has been dead a few years too.

I attempted a CSA mod a while back, and I just cant wrap my head around XML. (Sad but I am old and cranky) The UU I was toying with was Mounted Infantry (inspired by the Army of Tennessee's Cav force tactics) It was a fast unit with mediocre damage. I was trying to make it an effective hit and run unit.

But, as I said, I suck at making things.

BC

Wirklichkeit said:
I don't get it. Did people really not understand my sarcasm? As for post-Nixon changes in voting patterns, saying "the polarities reversed" is both reductive and inaccurate. Granted, the vote skews Republican in the modern South. However, It's inaccurate because the party attachment is nothing like it was in the Solid South, where Republicans were always completely butchered electorally. It's reductive because the constellation of issues facing voters - and in fact our the basic nature of national government - is so radically different now than it was at the time of the Civil War that trying to assign these voting patterns to strictly Civil War/Race/Reconstruction issues is absurd. No matter who one votes for nowadays, you're still voting for a post-New-Deal egalitarian administrative state candidate, which would have been unrecognizable to a citizen of the Confederacy. Besides that, a thoroughgoing advocate of states' rights would be pretty repulsed by the aggregation of federal power called for by President Bush's neoconservative policies.
Please understand that this is not meant to be political, and I'm not expressing an opinion about any of the above philosophies or policy choices. Only trying to point out the silliness, unnecessarity, and needless provocativeness of trying to relate a video game representation of a long-extinguished nation-state to the region 150 years hence.

Well said for the most part. I've did a lot of reading on the subject you might find this link appealing.

http://www.claremont.org/writings/crb/spring2004/alexander.html

jkp1187 said:
As an aside, Jeff Davis' preferred civ really should be slavery.

The thing is, slavery doesn't really impact the game all that much to warrent being a favored civic by any civ. Anyway, the issue of slavery is not the point of including the CSA as a playable civ. If that was the case, then why don't Egypt or Rome, or most of the other civs favor slavery? The CSA provides material for scenarios (Civil War) as well as for those that have a kinship with the "southern nation".

I knew this was bound to be created! And it's about time -- Civil War Scenarios are going to start popping up. :)

Shouldn't the Rebs have a Rifleman with an extra movement bonus and either perhaps 10-15% vs. Gunpowder units or 15% hills/forest defense?

Artillery definitely shouldn't be the UU. Confederate artillery as a whole was sub-par.
Confederate cavalry was effective during the early part of the war but mainly due to the disorganization of the Federal cavalry.
Ironclads are out because the North had many more and much better ironclads than the South. The CSS Virginia was an exception, and it still was not as good as its competition. (Not trying to burst an bubbles.)

When you look at the most decisive Confederate victories, the major factor is competent, experienced, West Point Infantry leaders. Confederate infantry could move further, faster, and hit harder than their Northern neighbors. Most of that was due to leadership. 1st Man., Antietam, 2nd Man., Fredericksburg, Chickamauga, Vicksburg, the Valley compaign, Seven Days, every time.... Infantry is the single major factor. Outnumbered but still victorious. So in my view the only possible UU is Infantry -> the Rifleman.

Increased movement is a given in my view. Only other decision is to increase strength by 1, and/or bonus against gunpowder units or more accurately -> give a defensive bonus for both hills/trees. In most of these decisive battles, Confederate units were able to get to the best ground first which allowed them to take the defensive against the enemy. Once on the defensive, they were unbreakable. The few times that the Confederates took the role of offense, they usually fared no better than their Northern brothers.

Lee is correct in being Spi/Agg.
I have to argue with Davis Phi/Ind. The South was anything but industrious. That is a major reason why they lost the war.(That and population)
Davis should be Phi/Agg which fits with the South aggressiveness and Davis' idealism of States Rights. Industrious just doesn't fit. Not only do leader traits need to fit the individual, but they need to fit their respective nation as well.
Davis was a strong pro-slavery politician. Slavery needs to be his fav civic.

Excellent work, it looks great, looking forward to playing some ACW mods.
Jaron

I'd Strongly Disagree with Davis being Strong Pro Slavery. Davis was about as likely to be pro slavery as bart simpsons liekly to eat a snickers.

Smal llittle history on Davis.
Jefferson Davis had adopted a black son, who based on records he loved just as much as if he was his own. Northern Generals (cant remember his name, pretty sure it was the crazy on that lit everything on fire think it satarted with an M) anyway he captured Davis's famiyl and threatened to sell his osn into slavery. Jefferson Davis believed that inorder for a slave to be free they must be prepared for freedom, so he and several of his family members and friends would educate their slaves(which was against the law at the time) inorder to prepare them for the freedom they would be granted. Also during his riegn as CSA president thing he did was veto a bill which would amend the confederate constitution and allow slave trading with Africa.(The CSA constitution prohibited the trading of slave unless it was with the United States.) Jefferson also said that the institution of Slavery would end withing 20 years no matter who won. however, the South would of done a graadual process which would prevent Race wars are anything of that matter(thus no kkk) but due to the fact the lost everytihng was immediate and thus there were racial problems. theres no gaurentee the souths way would of worked, but u never know.

Sorry I've read alot on Civil War. lol

Anyways, Nice i think ill use them instead of Rome.

Aelfred said:
Lee is correct in being Spi/Agg.
I have to argue with Davis Phi/Ind. The South was anything but industrious. That is a major reason why they lost the war.(That and population)
Davis should be Phi/Agg which fits with the South aggressiveness and Davis' idealism of States Rights. Industrious just doesn't fit. Not only do leader traits need to fit the individual, but they need to fit their respective nation as well.
Davis was a strong pro-slavery politician. Slavery needs to be his fav civic.

Excellent work, it looks great, looking forward to playing some ACW mods.
Jaron

Good call on the industrialism thing. Aggressive fits nicely with Jeff Davis.
I think it was mentioned earlier, but R.E. Lee's favorite civ = nationalism fits very well, given his views and temperament. (He took up arms for Virginia, which he viewed as his country.)

Fabus created a "Georgia" (US State) mod in which the Georgans received a cavalry with bonuses. I think he uploaded it to the mod section if you want to check that out...he reskinned it with a gray uniform. (He also did a "Pennsylvania" mod...)

Concerning other (coherent) posts above, it doesn't matter greatly that slavery isn't the best civic -- the point is to choose a favorite civic that fits that leader's playing style when played by the AI. This does produce anamolous results from time to time (I saw Saladin choose Theocracy immediately when it became available to him, even though no religion, as yet, had spread to his land.) In any event, I see no reason to bend to the winds of political correctness and revisionism here.... After all, Davis took up arms to defend southerners indefeasible rights which, at that time, included slave ownership. It would certainly lose a bit of flavor to have a CSA civ in which the AI routinely bypasses slavery!

No leader should be Philosophical and Industrious. The creators of Civ didn't put these 2 traits as a combo for a reason: Together they are way too powerful!

Anyone using those traits not only has an unfair advantage, but is not competent enough to play fair.

Lee should be aggressive (he was a military commander afterall) and since he was pretty effective and smart, give him philosophical too.

Davis (or any CSA leader) shouldn't be industrious, the Confederacy's industrial might was lousy. Just a bunch of cotton plantations. Davis' preferred civic should be slavery. Duh.

OzzyKP said:
Lee should be aggressive (he was a military commander afterall) and since he was pretty effective and smart, give him philosophical too.

Davis (or any CSA leader) shouldn't be industrious, the Confederacy's industrial might was lousy. Just a bunch of cotton plantations. Davis' preferred civic should be slavery. Duh.
Duh? once again.. Davis was anti slavery. Not So much to go right out and eliminate it, he believed in gradual emancipation. His first act as president was to veto a bill that would amend the Confederate Constitution allowing Slave trades with Africa and other nations, their Constitution prohibited Slave trading withany one except the United States. Davis also believed that inorder for slaves to be freed they must be educated to know how to be free, therefore him and several of his family members educated slaves illegally.

If anything, the leader choices are good, if a 3rd leader was to be picked I'd say look for someone who was pro slavery rather than 2 that werent. Personally I dont give a damn whether they like slavery or not in game. As long as I know where they stand (IE they love me or hate me) ill give that leader props.

Great job, a lot of people have been waiting for a confederate civ once they saw a gray-shirted skin for the cavalry. I'm downloading your mod now, but I probably will replace the cannon with the confederate cavalry/ranger. It just looks more accurate than a cannoneer with a poofy black european hat.

No unique unit for the Confederacy? That's not quite true. THIS is the confederate UU:

http://www.charlestonillustrated.com/hunley/

Crewed by six suicidal rebs at a time, the Hunley submarine actually sunk a union warship, but the Hunley also killed two full crews in training, and killed its third crew right after sinking its prey.

Replaces the Caravely, treat it as an invisible caravel, and require iron as a resource.

The CSA being Industrial is not a bad idea...During the Civil War the South did go through a major industrial boom (it grew faster industrially--per capita-- than the North during the war), thanks to Josiah Gorgas and other industrial minded Southerners. I would say that the rebel raider or some such horse mounted unit would probably be a great idea as others have mentioned. But the submarine or even underwater torpedo could also be a cool UU. It would be cool if someone could work a diplomatic victory by wooing England or other European nations.
Anyways, Nice start!

FF

FrustratedFello said:
The CSA being Industrial is not a bad idea...During the Civil War the South did go through a major industrial boom (it grew faster industrially--per capita-- than the North during the war), thanks to Josiah Gorgas and other industrial minded Southerners. I would say that the rebel raider or some such horse mounted unit would probably be a great idea as others have mentioned. But the submarine or even underwater torpedo could also be a cool UU. It would be cool if someone could work a diplomatic victory by wooing England or other European nations.
Anyways, Nice start!

FF

Speaking of wooing England, the Alabama itself (made in England for the Confederacy) was an interesting piece of work, a cross between a sailing ship and a steamship.

On the sea, the rebels made extensive use of letters of marque and reprisal, which essentially means that they relied on Privateer forces rather than having a large enlisted navy. The Alabama had a Confederate Capitain, but all of her crew were British.

FrustratedFello said:
It would be cool if someone could work a diplomatic victory by wooing England or other European nations.
Anyways, Nice start!

FF

I just finished my game as the confederates, I won the Diplomatic Victory by wooing Greece, Rome, Aztecs, MansaMusa, and Japan to my side. Anyways, I was at war with Isabella of Spain, But I control 419 votes and i need 320 to win so I was set. I also had america on my side but thats cause I was hot seating it and i was America too lol. Eventually I collapsed America into the Confederacy and spread my power. It seemed that Under Robert E. Lee the Confederacy was unstoppable, same with America under Roosevelt, but.. Confederacy was 3 times the size of America if not larger, 4 times the culture and military. So overall Confederacy crushed america. Anyways, these other countries loved me. I eliminated the Aztecs and then went to war with Greece, while in war the SG vote came up, Alexander voted for me. in Diplomatic Victory Vote, They ALL voted for me except japan who voted for Alexander, who was then robbed of his last 6 cities at the next turn. Since the creation of the UN the Confederacy Held control of the vote.

By Far either Civ4's AIs blew or this Civ just knocked the hell right out of the rest.

Top Bottom