Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by DingleBirdy, Jun 17, 2014.
You start with a salt start, of all things?
I see a lot of stupid things- this thread is close to the top.
Why, for any reason, would you ever have a time window for a challenge? This isn't going to result in money changing hands or freedoms sacrificed. Why would you restrict a challenge in any way before it's been created? Why would you even ask for submissions? You don't have the time to review games for their integrity, and if you do I truly pity you as a human being.
Here is the only way it works:
1) You post a new challenge when you have a new challenge.
2) You keep a master list thread on sticky with links to everything.
3) People have fun and don't worry about who did what- and if they do, they can fraps a LP on YouTube.
You have seen the let's play thread, right? Surely you can learn from their format?
There won't be a time limit.
What are you talking about? Restrict it how?
Again, what are you talking about? I'm not talking about submitting the save from your winning turn. Submissions are for saves at turn 0. Have you ever played a really fun game of civ that you felt would be enjoyable for others to try? That's what we're going for here.
This has been discussed. We're trying to add a little bit of structure to the challenges instead of the sporadic postings.
That is the plan.
To each their own. Nobody is asking for you to participate.
Why are you responding to such a stupid post is beyond me. Someone throwing insults around and then trying to give lessons is beyond the stupidity he claims to witness. And even more so when its pure nonsense.
Moderator Action: Please try to maintain a more civil tone.
Here ya go
Salt, but no river. Means no food past pop 5 or so.
I would not settle on spot...
There will be 8 salt in the area. Never said I would settle in spot.. but it always rubbed me the wrong way how many of the diety 'challenges' started with salt/marble and often petra spots on top. I remember a terrible jungle start, with Monti, that almost none managed to beat. Those were the times
Well, if you start of with the spoilers, before even getting the savegame, that will ruin most of the fun. And yeah - I see nothing good in these 100 salt starts, these are rather pointless to play especially with Shacka, as you are guaranteed to not have Zulu neighbours that game
Say that again when on t3 you walk around and see Atilla's court 8 tiles away I hope there's an interesting plot twist!
Now srsly, you're playing a civ with non-existent bonuses for SV and CV, which the vast majority of games are, so I don't think it'll be exactly a walk in the park esp for CV.
Salt has it's advantages, but in the long run I think wheat is better (I'd rather start with 8 wheat than 8 salt); a river is quite necessary to grow into your 30s and beyond though.
Looks like an interesting start. Some juicy tiles but no fresh water or coast. A visible mountain, at least, but it would require stepping away from the good tiles. With so many hammers, I'm happy to settle on T1 and just build the NC elsewhere. I'd say it's a good spot for an Impi rush. Ideally a neighboring civ will build Hanging Gardens and Temple of Artemis.
I'd question whether Shaka doesn't have bonuses for SV and CV. He has military bonuses, which I'm starting to believe are useful for any game type. I have a theory that the game is supposed to be easier with a functional army, and my last few games have gotten good results in support of that. Having an army is the easiest, most efficient way to get wonders on deity. It's worth a lot of gold, too, as you don't have to pay for war bribes to defend yourself. If you can get AIs to give you 100+ GPT in peace deals, that's a huge bonus for any victory type. And you can't lose to the AI if they can't beat your military.
Dont want to sound like an ass but discussing a game not already posted isnt really the purpose of the thread.
Hey!! For once I agree with Acken, wtf are you guys doing lol I was reading these post's saying "SPOILER!! SPOILER!!"
Also after that Immortal Russia Challenge I was thinking Nat Wonders are more unblanced than Ruins no? I mean that 500gpt is silly, huh? I know when I used to play Earth maps it didn't have Natural Wonders. Is there another map with no Nat Wonders? Would you want to play a game with those off if that is an option?
Every 2 weeks seems about right.
This is irrelevant to me. But if people want to keep score please go ahead.
I'd say YES. Else 90% will go for a 3 city science game. More Deity domination is a good thing!
It's nice to be able to utilize the abilities of the civ you're playing. Other variables I care less about. We just need some variation over time, an aggressive neigborhood on flat terrain one time, a turtle location between mountains and the sea the next.
I'd say no. Standard settings as much as possible.
1. Whatever but not more often than bi-weekly - I'd be happy with even a lower pace like one for every 3 weeks.
2. I think some sort of list of finishing times etc in the each OP is sufficient - I don't nor didn't see these as purely a competition; I'm much more interested what others did in general terms
3. At least AI should have all the options available. Otherwise pretty much irrelevant for me and I'd be also fine specially defined victory settings - the build in ones aren't comprehensive enough if one is looking for something instead of a VC @ Txxx. An example of this could be a religious one aka spread your superstition every city in the world or something similar. Piety tree could get more love than it usually does.
4. Well, it's up to the individuals as this can't be regulated & sanctioned in any meaningful way but it'd be decent to inform others if such practises were used. I still occasionally reload due to making a mess due to miss-click but I can't get myself into repairing & re-pillaging business.
5. I tend to always save the T0 usually for no reason.
6. Yup, the AI really isn't a team player
7. The very few games I do play I seem to most often have those sympathetic barbs on speed dial. Without them, especially on larger maps, nothing much is happening at the start and I'd be bored.
8. I heavily dislike any map that's not a globe - I can't even stand when the larger land masses are connected to polar ice. (Early) Sea faring is screwed up enough already. On the other hand AI will build a navy for every lake if it can't fit the sea vessels anywhere else and AI really doesn't need to be handicapped any more.
9 I like ruins, I want ruines and I love exploration but I may also already be ruined. Surely lucky pops makes a (huge) difference but that's mainly irrelevant if there's no competitive element. What it does, though, is to give much needed variety from the start besides the lack of isn't exactly good news for Pocatello's tribe. But in all seriousness - I can play without ruines but I prefer to have them so I always do in my own games.
In general create the maps without DLC map packs and use spoilers, a lot, when telling a story of a game - nothing new to the previous challenges but a healthy reminder.
I always play with extra set of rules for myself to ease the pain of being an AI so I'm usually fine with them, within limits. Especially fine are banning a policy tree or something along those lines and not so cool are options which predeterminate the outcome too early. These may be seemingly indifferent but generally forcing to play in one way is bad while banning the obvious choice is good.
Grendeldef, without you these games are not the same! Glad to see you!
Thx & likewise but as you'll be co-hosting not taking part would essentially leave me being AWOL - can't have that besides I can (hopefully) always offer an alternative distraction method to play a game to the more speed orientated finishers. World Cup, though, is seriously hampering the ability to play for few weeks.
Hey, I count on you. Too many characters to type, too many posts to submit... I'm getting tired here. Granted, World Cup is hampering all kind of abilities (at least at my house) but c'mon, don't you have one of these 50k freelance easy to find jobs? It's googling time then!
2 - some kind of record might be nice, even if it's just who submitted.
3 - suggested VC on some is fine - seeing maps played out multiple ways should be fun.
7 - raging barbs are fine sometimes
9 - yes to ruins!
Separate names with a comma.