New DLC at December, 16th: Spain and Incas

Finally 2 civs that represent me and the people from southamerica... but I hate the fact that you have to buy the civs... that sucks!! I think nobody else is going to buy them so I wont be able to play multiplayer with them... bah... This game needs a lot of tweaking.

None of the DLC Civs currently work in multi-player, according to my understanding. Not even Khan, which everyone has.

How is this any different from an expansion pack ? Is all content of an expansion pack also withheld from the initial release ?

The only difference is size and timing.... it's not like Civ 5 shipped with 10 civs while 4 did with 18, then you could claim it was withheld.

There are a lot of clues that these Civs were planned from the beginning, if not already finished. From incomplete files with their names released with the game (Mongolia), to them being offered as purchase bonuses (Direct2Drive & these Civs), to the fact that the game was released with a 22 Civ limit per map (exactly the number of Civs after these two).

Also, expansion packs add gameplay mechanics along with Civs. Here we getting Civs that were already being worked on pre-release. All significant (and desperately needed gameplay changes) are currently being released in patches.

Really? Is that all you have to offer the conversation?

Child.

I will say, however, that I would much rather have expansions than DLC. However, as the intelligent, well-reasoning civver knows, DLC is completely optional. And if it didn't take very long to make, it won't take away from work on said expansion! Hopefully.

Plus if Joe Civ-Player supplies the developers with more dough, maybe they'll continue supporting the game for a while to come. Here's to the next patch.

Not buying. This is Fable's black dye dlc all over again.
ironically both "sources" were in languages I've taken classes in:)

I don't see how they think I am going to pay for this considering Mongolia was "free", and the game still needs some serious issues worked out...

This is something alot of Europeans have had to endure for a long time so welcome to our world :)

Often if something costs say $30 on the US it is often simply converted into €30 here...

Unfortunately, I've seen that quite often and it surely isn't fair. I often suspected that it was due taz structures in some European countries, but most probably it is due to greed.

.. neilkaz ..

Oh good. Now there's a good chance the patch will be out before 12/16.

Is this out now? If so how do I buy it? I looked on steam but couldnt find where to purchase it. Can someone post the path?

Some people don't seem to understand that a dev team can work on DLC, an Expansion and bugs all at the same time.

Some people don't seem to understand that a dev team can work on DLC, an Expansion and bugs all at the same time.

they probabaly could, but i perfer they focus most of their effort on bugs. the DLC and expansions can wait.

$7.49 is WAY too expensive.

For comparison, here's the content of Civ 4: Warlord expansion pack, which I bought for $30 back then:

* A new category of Great People known as "Great Generals";
* The ability to institute vassal states;
* Eight new scenarios
* Six new civilizations playable in single-player and multiplayer;
* Ten new leaders (including new leaders for existing civilizations);
* Three new leader traits (Charismatic, Protective and Imperialistic);
* Unique buildings for each civilization;
* Three new wonders;
* New units, resources, and improvements;
* Core gameplay tweaks and additions;
* Inclusion of all patches released for original Civilization IV.

Necessary math:

30/7.5 = 4.

This beg the question: Does this DLC worth 1/4 of Civ 4: Warlords?

You decide.

Oh good. Now there's a good chance the patch will be out before 12/16.

They'd better get a patch out before that date, because there is just no way I will spend any money on such a minimal DLC if they don't patch up some of the more serious issues in the game.

I like the game. It has a lot of potential. But the release was rushed at the expense of a real beta-test. They're now basically using us as beta-testers. Paying beta-testers... :rolleyes:

I want my real 50 euro's worth of Civ before I give Firaxis any more money.

Why not they'll just make an expansion pack instead??? There are people out there (like me) whose internet connections suck when it comes to downloads.

I'm a massive Civ fan and really approached CiV with an open mind. Let's be clear... it sucks.

I can totally say that if they fix this so it is half as good as Civ 4 I will be buying every DLC they send my way. I love civ and the DLCs are great value considering the amount of game time I'd like to spend. I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks like this.

However - and let's be clear - I'm not so much as picking up CiV again until you fix the god damn thing!! Firaxis had a massive opportunity to tap into the fanatics community and really benefit financially, but instead they released a Civ Rev 2 with bugs. Firaxis/2K: Can you please at least deliver this patch? Then many of us will maybe start downloading your stuff.

You know, I have a theory;

At first I discounted the Babylon argument and hysteria on paying DSLs primerally because Babylon was part of the Digital Deluxe package and it is far worse to submit an exclusive civilization for free to standard games, Babylon was effectively a baseless civilization to perpetuate the notion. Now with the newest DSL, charging context that IS completely new, we now CAN run screaming into the night, stricken with horror.
Having said that, I also really don't understand why people hate the game. I find no real problems with the game at all, with a notable exception to the social policies, the idea of changing the civics to this particular system makes little to no sense. I personally will claim every civilization Firaxis puts into their pantheon, if for no other reason, I love to fully comprehend the implications of every civilization's trait and examine them in depth. Incidently, Mongolia is indeed a powerful military nation, Babylon is way too overpowering in science. Someone please update the Babylonian content in the Civilizations tab.

But to my theory; I have a slight suspicion there may well not be an expansion. So far, with the exception for Mongolia - which I suspect was a feeler to gauge the community - and patch updates, every new DSL has been tolled. The interesting thing is that each of these changed DSLs hold new gameplay options; Babylon, the 'Cradle of Civilization' maps, now this 'Spain, Inca and New World' package. All the updates were free and automatic - because they are designed to make better gameplay by fixing problems - but the new civs and maps cost money, all these are purely designed to add more choice and flavor into the game, not necessarily to improve it. I'll grant you that this the only the third DSL out, but this does strike me as something to watch over time when more new content comes out.
Ultimately, this can only ever be a theory until proven wrong - with the appearance of an expansion pack - or right - with the announcement of the next game - but a good litmus test for this is to watch CiV under a microscope, check every DSL as they come, I certainly will, and track the content and prices of each one.

I know the trend here is to bash the new dlc, but can someone please tell me how to buy it? Doesnt anyone from 2k monitor this forum? C'mon you're losing potential sales here...

I know the trend here is to bash the new dlc, but can someone please tell me how to buy it? Doesnt anyone from 2k monitor this forum? C'mon you're losing potential sales here...

It won't be released until December 16th. It even says so in the title. Most likely, you'll be able to buy it from the website (www.civilization5.com) or directly through Steam like many of the other currently available DLC maps.

New world discovery scenario without Portugal, from a brazilian perspective this is really bad.
The leaders look nice, though.

hey Sid...

How does it feel having your name associated with this petty larceny? Seriously. Cause I'd be embarrassed as all heck.

John

Top Bottom