1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC: Polynesia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Agreed the Maori Warrior needs a combat boost. The -10% combat for others is nice, but will hardly turn the tide against even regular barbarians. If the Maori were more fearsome early game (ala spearmen, jaguar warriors), they'd be worth the trouble of producing.

I understand the ire of your Maori friends who don't like being under a Hawaiian king, but the way I see it, Kamekamehe was just the most internationally known Polynesian monarch, and the Maori aren't serving him so much as they are serving "greater Polynesia" which has, of course, the New Zealand name "Aotearoa" as a city name, as well as Tonga, Samoa, etc. :)

Also, just curious, what specific nation of greater Polynesia are you from, NubianMercenary?

2. MqsTout

MqsTout Warlord

Well, (a) that's where you're wrong and (b) DLC is only around because the publishers get to squeeze more money out of the customer for less content because of people who think like that.

3. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

on a different note, i'm thinking that rfc for civ 5 will probably be using polynesia for its natives in australia, etc like it used zulu in africa in civ 4. hopefully, zulu also comes out, but there are already threads for that.

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Please, continue spouting opinionated nonsense on subjects that you know very little about. :goodjob:

5. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

You mentioned the city names - I hate them myself, and would rather have names of cities / settlements on the islands instead of the islands themselves. Apia instead of Samoa, Poneke instead of Aotearoa, that sort of thing.

I love how one of your points is essentially 'You're wrong

6. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

The fact that it's under a Hawaiian King, they were like: "Wtf, our ancestors were never under Hawaiian patronage" :/ lol.

7. Valkrionn

Wanted to make sure that was it. ;)

Yes, that's very true... But they attempted to portray all Polynesians as one civ. It's not so much that they have them under the Hawaiians, as it is they lend themselves better to a UU, than to a leader.

At least, Kamehameha is the most well known Polynesian leader, generally speaking. ;)

8. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

Well, it is stated in ancient Oral History that the Hawaiians are descendants from my people - the Samoans. My Maori mates thought it patronizing that their heritage, personified through the Maori Toa Warrior is somehow belittled by having them exist as UU under a Hawaiian LH.

Maori, along with Samoans, Tongans etc... recognize themselves as Samoans, Tongans, Maori first; and Polynesians second.

9. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

I agree,

It is better to have our culture portrayed a tad incorrectly rather than to have it not portrayed at all. Besides, the "incorrectness" is only minor and I am just grateful that the Civ craftsman are putting more thought into giving us little baby Civs a chance to shine in the game :).

10. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

Agreed,

But many of us here back home believe that the only reason Kamehameha has international recognition is because Hawaii is under U.S. governance and therefore Hawaiin historical figures i.e. Kamehameha has just been given more attention rather than famous figures in Polynesian ancient history such as Tui Manu'a etc...

Oh I'm Samoan, in which I am a Chief, I hold a paramount Matai Title. Meh, gives extra cause for me to love my culture hehe xD.

11. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

Agreed :)!

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

While the connection to US history is certainly a factor, Kamahameha does have some international fame (as evidenced, weirdly enough, by Dragonball Z). I think it has more to do with modernity and an internationally recognized government (with a written constitution) than simply being a US state. In the end, the game is sold in the United States to a primarily (although certainly not exclusively) American audience. Name recognition over here is certainly at least some factor.

13. Valkrionn

What Louis said. I think it's more the fact that his empire was relatively modern, and therefore well known in the western world, than that Hawaii was made a state.

14. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Hopefully a future Polynesian leaderhead is Maori then!

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I personally suggest Tongan, but I realize opinions will differ.

16. Bigrusst

Bigrusst Chieftain

Why Polynesia? Are you kidding, ever been there? I would much rather rule the world from, say Fiji than from Moscow or Ulaan Batoor!

17. Revoran

Revoran Prince

Polynesians are more of an ethnic group that settled a large number of islands in the pacific rather than a unified empire but hey whatever. I'm still holding out for an Indonesia/Majapahit empire. Polynesia is cool though cause we've never had them before.

18. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

How did that happen?

19. Michl2602

Michl2602 Warlord

Not sure whether I'd continue ruling the world if i were there. Probably I'd just look for something to smoke and hang around. :)

To say something on topic: The Polynesian implementation is already quite good. It's just a pity that it's uniqueness is much better implemented in the szenario than if you play a regular game with them. Techs like ritual dancing, aquaeconomics aso., that are really unique should also somehow be in the science tree of their regular game.

20. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

What?