1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC: Polynesia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Translation;
    Long Live Bretagne and Free Québec!

Do you want a proper Civ for the Sovereignist Party (Lévesque, Duceppe, Bouchard, Landry, Marois, etc as Leaders) or what?
    We're talking Future & Referendum results here even if *THE* 95 attempt was -to be honest- loaded with strange anomalies such as the Gomery Sponsorship_Scandal, rejected ballots or the extremely tight votes re_counting that lead to 50.6% against 49.4% with a participation ratio of around 94%+ for the most accurate democratic result ever recorded in history worldwide(!!), ya know!

This thread is for Polynesia, btw.

2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

And all of these are *PROVEN* facts by a number of incredibly unknown artifacts (Maya's Dresden Codex, for just one!) that were effectively censored by & through the European Invasions from at least three major Medieval countries.

Forget your silly Genome markers and what else, get to the Palenque site or the Phillipines islands while making a necessary pit-stop on the Clovis hypothesis and you'll barely skim the surface of evidence.

Tora, Bora, Tora! Kanji glyphs & Aztec ceremonials included.

3. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I am glad to see a brand new civilization in the series. I might even buy the DLC and play as the Polynesians. The scenario sounds fun too. :)

4. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Uninteresting civ...gameplay-wise...I wouldn't spend a penny on downloading them.

If the -10% for the UU does not stack..what is the difference between the enemy getting -10% and you getting an ordinary +10%?

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It protects other units besides the Maori, no?

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Precisely. That's the one benefit of a combat nerf to the enemy, rather than a combat buff to yourself.

7. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

And it will stack with a Great General - sort of.

8. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I enjoyed the scenario. I did get a little frustrated because most islands that had more than 3 hexes had no luxury resources hardly, except for pearls (which all the AI civs had) and one dye I found on New Zealand. In the game I had no extra luxuries to sell which kept me from investing in cultured city states. Nevertheless I went on to the end and was barely defeated on king. I hope next time I get lucky and find some extra luxuries to sell, that might make the difference between winning and losing. In any case, the scenario is great fun. :)

9. magnus333

magnus333 Warlord

I think there are only 4 luxuries in the whole scenario. Meaning that city and population management is something you really have to watch. Lots of early scouts help a lot with finding the few there are.

10. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

In addition to that it has a bigger impact the better your units are, and vice versa with the enemy's units.

If your units have +100% bonuses from promotions then +10% on top would be insignificant. Conversely, if enemy units have few combat bonuses this has a very large effect.

11. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Founding a city there and spawning Moais in some optimal patterns is almost an absolute must on both the Pacific & random maps... plus, you'll need to be very aggressive before AIs get near to their last 4-5 SPs if you are a single SP behind any of them.
    Keep track of Barbs & CS, the cultural points you'll get from WAR are also necessary.

A least, that's how i managed to win in Paradise Found more often than not so far.

12. diggerjohn111

diggerjohn111 Chieftain

As a Canadian, I would stop playing Civ if they properly added Quebec as more than a hack mod. One of their techs should be "Get free money from Ottawa, and ban English". As for Polynesia. I just played my first game with them, it rocked! Incas for the first time tomorrow.

13. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

I am Polynesian and am happy to finally see some sort of representation of my Ethnicity in a Civilization release.

Some points though from me personally as a Polynesian:

a.) Tis' a tad silly, since Polynesia is more of a collection of distant 'cousin' Civs rather than one united Civ as is being portrayed in the DLC release preview. Melanesian, Micronesian Civ next maybe? :/

b.) Would make more sense to hone in on one Polynesian Civ which people would best recognize as being the most suitable 'face' of Polynesia. i.e. "When I think of Polynesia I think of...." [Hawaii/New Zealand/Samoa]?

c.) The implementation of Maori Warriors, under the LH of a Hawaiian King offends a lot of my friends whom are Maori themselves.

But meh, long live CiV

14. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

I can't believe they're still pumping out DLC at full price for this turd. I have an idea 2K -- make the rest of your DLC downloadable for free and move on to Civ VI or something else.

Yours truly,

Another disappointed paying customer

15. NukeEm

NukeEm Chieftain

I kinda lol'd at this (I'm from Montreal,Quebec), they would meet the criteria for a Civilization (the culture is indeed unique, whether I agree with their politics or not.. they do have a culture unlike anything in North America) Also I live in Quebec, as someone who speaks english full time.. and I can tell you there was a time there was hostility... but today.. it's different... most francophones are just nice folks and they usually make an effort to speak english.So.. just saying my experience is a little different.

Did a google define on Civilization:
    # a society in an advanced state of social development (e.g., with complex legal and political and religious organizations); "the people slowly progressed from barbarism to civilization"
    # culture: a particular society at a particular time and place; "early Mayan civilization"
    # refinement: the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste; "a man of intellectual refinement"; "he is remembered for his generosity and civilization"

Now these seem broad... but that's kinda the point... I like it that way. It means less nit picking on what is and is not a Civ and focus more on giving players options to play as what they want.. whether it's America, Canada, Quebec, Iroquois, Irish, Iranian... you get the idea.

However I would just rather see a nice DLC that would "bundle" a bunch of "modern" Civs for some flavor. Say... Canada, Israel, Iran, Saudi Arabia, North and South Korea.. just more "civs" that had a modern flavor. One of my fave mods in Civ 3 was one that did nothing more than modernize all the names of the Civs... Just a thought.

16. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Yes, they were never united. However, that sort of portrayal existed for a long time amongst the Celts (who were honestly even more fractured, at their widest extant), and there are broad similarities from one Polynesian culture to the next.

Honing in on one is difficult... At least partially due to a lack of city names. :crazyeye: Don't want to make those up, IMO, as that would also upset people. They opted to hone in on three; Hawaii, New Zealand, Rapa Nui. Which, typically, would be the three most thought of by Americans.

Do you mean the actual stats of the unit, or the fact that it's under a Hawaiian king?

17. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I would love to hear you elaborate on (c). I live in New England, so it's a viewpoint I'm rarely exposed to.

I'm also offended by the implementation of the Maori Warrior, but only because it's so mechanically boring... total waste of a UU. Their UA and UI are both game-changers, so it works on a whole, but the UU... bleh.

18. Michl2602

Michl2602 Warlord

The UU should be stronger (like eg. Greek Hoplit, strength 9, available at Bronze Working) and be in the upgrade path of the Warrior (Warrior --> Maori-Warrior --> Swordsmen should be possible, with Orientation being kept).

Another idea would be, that it stays at the strength of a normal warrior, but can go berserk under certain circumstances (with strength 9 at berserk). But I have no exact idea what to implement here.

PS.: Play the szenario. There you have some techs to develop, but then you have Maori-warriors with strength 12.

19. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Are you ever in for a ride... our common country is Bilingual by Law and about 450+ years worth of colonial history prove that Québec (be it a region, an independent or a Province, btw) invested as much if not *hugely* more than New-Brunswick, NovaScotia & Ontario together both in work and in agricultural development.
    We're as proud of our specific French cultural heritage as anyone else in this Nation... and give the exact same Liberty (of expression & association) to all Immigrants & the First Nations people.
    Québecor, Bombardier, Cirque Du Soleil are just three of many monumental contributions that Québec citizens have made and are still making to the Federalism principles within a society that requires steady flows of Goods & Services & Taxes from and inbetween all aspects of population.
    Want some LG2_Hydro megawatts, btw?

Being provoked into reaction is one thing... stating the truth another.
    Keep the ON driven insults for the BlueJays, since the Maple Leafs probably won't make the NHL playoffs while Vancouver or Calgary are currently heading for an elimination series matchout against Team & Price (rather than Halak, this time!) in Montréal (The Mecca of Hockey, in fact!) along with the Go-HABS-Go fans from QC. :D
    One has to only remember what we did in Washington & Pittsburgh last year! Philadelphia lost the Cup to Chicago, btw.

Yep, it's all about Sports & Games in this democratic Economy.

Again (moderators) - i was lured away off-topic.

20. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I agree with you in a way. But hey, I'm not complaining that it's offending/silly/stupid that they didn't split the Iroquois into all the different tribes since I'm partly Mingo Iroquois.
    I'm just happy the Iroquois where even included.