New DLC: Polynesia

Agreed that ocean nav from the outset is KILLER. I love revealing the map, and this makes it much more exciting. At one point I saw a Greek trireme and got pissed because I was like, "there goes my naval advantage." Then I remember the poor sucker was stuck to the coasts and I regained my optimism :D

Polynesia is doing well, a worthwhile buy in light of the fun 2.17 version has brought. I've actually started losing sleep again!

Plug for Spain, I'd never actually sat and played a game with these guys because their ability looked awful. Played a game and surprise!, they're a lot of fun. Conqusitadors are excellent units and Tercios are very good as well, also the Seven Cities of Gold encouraged me to explore a lot of the map and start a war so I could seize nearby Mt. Fuji. A fun civ with some great role play aspects, I now like them better than the Inca.

Aw, I'm kind of disappointed now :(
I was planning on settling all of the pacific but the lack of happiness buildings prevents me from doing that.
Is there any way of putting them back in? Like making them buildable when I've won?

At first I was annoyed at the huge breadth of the South Pacific map, but after a while you start to enjoy the mystery of discovery, and the true feeling of lonely mystery as you sail caravels across the waves (to find Easter Island, which is the only place on the map with marble).

Thank-you, glad you're enjoying the map. :)

omg... Talk about waking up on a terrible news for our friends in Japan.
8.9 quake near Sendai trench and tsunami warnings for the entire pacific ocean.
And, we're all playing a Polynesia DLC. Weird but true.
Stay on Alert, people.

Polynesia was just wiped out =O

Can somebody make a tsunami mod?

No joke indeed. Pretty poor taste methinks.

It's a damn good thing that Japan is fairly earthquake proof/prepared.

Still, unimaginable damage I'm sure. :(

I would like to see random events like Tsunamis reintroduced to Civ though. Optional of course for people that don't like such things.

Heres a couple of reasons why The Polynesians are an important civilization and important part of History.....

1... They possessed such a sophisticated knowledge of navagation, that westerners only surpassed it within the past 100 years.

2... They discovered the Americas before European, yes far before the Vikings or even the Irish in the 4th Century B.C

3. The Maoris Invented trench Warefare, which the English learnt and used in WWI and WWII.

4. There is evidence that the Polynesians were in contact with South East Asia and South America. Back in 1000AD. Also questionably contact with Egypt too.

The only thing interesting to me here is #3. The others should be expected by a group of people who live on island sin the middle of the ocean. Island people would be able to navigate better,just like nomadic hunters would be able to track wild animals better.

So my first experience with Polynesia (I didn't play as them)... Kamehameha pissed me off so much I nuked their civ to death, literally wiped them out with nuclear fire. Didn't even get the "defeated" speech because, well, I didn't conquer them, I wiped them out!!! :nuke:

Inca are amazing, I had a game (On Prince to try new patch) and I was getting 1200 SPT, 700 CPT, 500 GPT, 45 Happiness - five turns to research nuclear fusion. I also had the largest military, most social policies (By about ten) and most wonders (All but four)

Inca are amazing, I had a game (On Prince to try new patch) and I was getting 1200 SPT, 700 CPT, 500 GPT, 45 Happiness - five turns to research nuclear fusion. I also had the largest military, most social policies (By about ten) and most wonders (All but four)

My best Inca game was on a highlands map, managed to find a "bubble" of land JUST large enough that my capital only had ~7 mountains in it's radius... But was entirely surrounded outside that. I had terracefarms gaining +5 or more food. :mischief:

Voluntary OCC that game (or close to it, ended with three cities after some wars), still won. :goodjob:

but then some would argue that judaism wasn't a monotheistic religion in that time.

atheists, mostly, that can look at such things with detachment. John Hagee wouldn't.

Am I missing something here? Isnt the First Commandment solid proof that it is a monotheistic religion?

Judaism is a monotheistic religion. Some mistakenly call Christianity a polytheistic religion though--Trinity and all that confuses some. Perhaps that's what brxbrx was talking about. If not, then he is *definitely* mistaken, lol.

Judaism did not begin as a monotheistic religion. It consolidated many gods into one.

Based on what exactly? Im not overly familiar with the Old Testament, or the Jewish faith, but I recall no mentions of worship of other deities than God. I also have never heard this before in any history/religion class.

You say it with such certainty, so will you please share your sources with one who has never heard mention of this before?

Based on what exactly? Im not overly familiar with the Old Testament, or the Jewish faith, but I recall no mentions of worship of other deities than God. I also have never heard this before in any history/religion class.

You say it with such certainty, so will you please share your sources with one who has never heard mention of this before?

Sorry The_J, done after this. ;)

Essentially, it is implied by various discrepancies in the Torah (Old Testament, more or less, to you). Many of these do not exist in the translated versions, but for instance, in Genesis God is described several times as "Mothering" or "Giving birth" to Humanity (Frequently, ancient mythologies state that creation was created by a female deity).

It's implied fairly strongly, but no, there is no way to know with absolute certainty. We simply do not have records of early Judaism.

Moderator Action: It stops NOW.

One can describe an entity as motherly or fatherlike without being contradictory or referring to different entities. One of my friends is very motherly and cooks for people when they're at his house (yes, *his*). He's also fatherly, because he is a father. :)

Anyway, back to Polynesia DLC: I think they were a truly awesome option. I like how flexible the civ is, though I do wish the AI Kamehameha would settle more. Having only one city is tough for him when other AIs declare war on him. :(

Top Bottom