New! Elite Quattromasters Challenge

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Elite Quattromasters Challenge
Updated Mar 16, 2008

The Elite Quattromasters Challenge takes the Quattromasters Challenge to new levels. [pun intended :mischief: ]

First, we have eliminated some of the easier ways to achieve victory at the higher levels. Second, we rank the Elite Quattromasters by Difficulty level.

In order to achieve your Elite Quattromasters status for a given level of difficulty, you must complete all the requirements at that level or higher. Only the best of the best will ever complete all the requirements at Deity to become Deity Elite Quattromasters.

Like the original Quattromasters Challenge, the Elite Quattromasters Challenge will have 6 Events. There are also Divisions for "Vanilla+Warlords" and "All Expansions". (Note: The Elite QM does not replace the original QM Challenge. The Original Quattromaster Challenge continues as before for as long as there is interest.)

Events:
  • Machiavelli - Submit a victory for each Victory Condition
  • Map Quest - Submit a victory on all Map Types (Duel Map Size is excluded)
  • Rock of Ages - Submit a victory started in each Era. (replaces Inferno for Elite QM)
  • Tempi Trophy - Submit a victory using each Speed
  • League of Nations - Submit a victory with each of the Civilizations. (Inca is excluded)
  • Gauntlet - Submit a victory for either a Major or a Minor Gauntlet.
Rule changes:
  • Huayna Capac of the Inca has been retired for purposes of the Elite Quattromasters. No games played as Huayna Capac will be considered.
  • Duel sized maps are also not considered.
  • Only Ancient Era starts will be considered. (Excepting the Rock of Ages.)
  • Only Gauntlets with setting capatible with the above restrictions are considered.

QScores are calculated similar to the original Quattromasters Challenge with the following differences:
  • Only Base, or Raw, QScore is used (adjustors used in QM do not apply).
  • Only games eligible for the EQM are used in calculation the QScore calculation.
  • A "Phantom Date" is applied to compensate for sample data too small to calculate a good average date.

In addition, the weighting of the Overall Score has been changed to be as shown below:
Overall Event Weightings:
Code:
[B][U]Event[/U][/B]			[B][U]Weighting[/U][/B]  
Machiavelli		17%  
Map Quest 		17%  
Rock of Ages		17%  
Tempi Trophy		17%  
League of Nations	17%  
Gauntlet		15%

Graphics by Mistfit.

Interesting. The Rock of Ages is going to be particularly difficult to get good QScores. I like the ranking by difficulty level though. No more settler games for me!

But you'll get at least settler level if you have a smattering of games from settler-deity right? As long as all of the categories are covered?

But you'll get at least settler level if you have a smattering of games from settler-deity right? As long as all of the categories are covered?

Correct. To attain the Settler Elite QM you must have valid entries that are at least on settler level. They can be any level above settler, so long as they are at least setter. In other words if you have a valid entry for every requirement, than your elite QM level will be whatever your lowest valid difficulty level is.

Note though that for the elite QM levels duel maps are not valid.

I like this idea, though doing inferno properly could take a while
are we going to get the rock of ages in the regular quattromasters?

The new "EQM"- competition has a very good concept. But I am missing something: an event, where you have to play all Civ-leaders. That would have been a possibility to avoid, that someone are mainly playing Huayna, instead of retiring him completely.
At the regular "QM" -tables, there will be surely cheese again.

I was wondering why my quick and marathon game wins weren't appearing, then I realised, my quick game was the GMinor on settler level on a duel map, and the marathon was the GMajor high score challenge which I used the Incas for. That means I have to play another game on marathon... OH TEH NOES!!!!

Will there be a status page for Elite Quattromasters Challenge too?
I am considering trying to get it on Settler level, but I want to know how many games it'll take me before trying. And I fear that my :badcomp: won't like Map quest.

There is one already, under "Elite Quattromasters", there is a status tab.

EDIT: And map quest isn't bad, you don't have to play all map sizes, just map types.

Me thinks that is a mistake by Denniz. This is what the "status" page says:

Completing this award requires submitting a valid HOF entry for every map type at Settler or above.
Entries must use Ancient starting era. Duel maps and the Inca civilization are excluded.

EDIT: I just noticed that all the events other than the Rock of Ages require an ancient start... so no cheesy time victories with future start... and I was hoping to knock lakes map off the list with the new minor as well. Ho hum.

The new "EQM"- competition has a very good concept. But I am missing something: an event, where you have to play all Civ-leaders. That would have been a possibility to avoid, that someone are mainly playing Huayna, instead of retiring him completely.
At the regular "QM" -tables, there will be surely cheese again.
We still have League of Nations. You have to play as each Civ. We have just excluded Inca.

Nice! :goodjob: I like this a lot.

Ever since the cheese debate started, I've been slowly replacing my future starts with other victories. So I'm not too terribly far away in the "vanilla-warlords" challenge (except Rock of Ages... I've been doing all Ancient starts in anticipation of this change :lol:).

I'm having trouble deciding which level to aim at. My gut feel is to start at Emperor, but I'd hate to win one of the tougher conditions on Emperor, then need to repeat it to move up to Immortal. Deity seems beyond reach, I think I'll leave that challenge to Moonsinger.

My only concern is there are now so many permutations. Saying you are a "Quattromaster" will not be very descriptive.

I'll bet it won't be long before the old Quattro rankings are obsolete and everyone will speak in terms of the elite rankings. Since the "all expansion" version is a much broader challenge, I think it will always hold more status the "vanilla-warlords" (at a given elite level). The debate will be comparing at different levels... ie. is Immortal in "vanilla-warlords" harder than emperor in "all expansions"?

OH TEH NOES SQUARED!

Just realised that means I'll have to redo a marathon game and can't fudge it by starting in the future era :(

Top Bottom