New Expansion Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a new movie on Netflix about Robert the Bruce which is getting news for a certain scene which I won't mention here. Anyone seen it know how accurate it is? ahem, I meant the movie/story not the certain scene.
Chris Pine? Could they not find a Scottish actor? :p Haven't seen it, but Wikipedia offers this opinion from Rotten Tomatoes: ""Muddy and bloody to a fault, Outlaw King doesn't skimp on the medieval battle scenes, but tends to lose track of the fact-based legend at the heart of its story."

I'm really hoping that at least one of the things I have been advocating for years now is in this expansion...if not then I think it's high time I give up advocating for stuff. I don't think I can do anything more than I already have, and if they don't want to include my ideas then there's nothing I can do about it.

Well, I mean, resources stuck to a tile doesn't make sense on land either. Horses weren't important to humans because they were immobile. There's no reason why you couldn't take that wheat or rice or sugar to other places--that was the whole point in real life. But I'll live with that.

Really like the idea of making sea tiles extend further out for a city.

I assume these sorts of tiles more represent really good places to grow that particular resource. I mean, you can build farms anywhere, so presumably you are growing wheat and rice on other tiles already.

Chris Pine? Could they not find a Scottish actor? :p Haven't seen it, but Wikipedia offers this opinion from Rotten Tomatoes: ""Muddy and bloody to a fault, Outlaw King doesn't skimp on the medieval battle scenes, but tends to lose track of the fact-based legend at the heart of its story."

Is it possible for it to be worse than Australian Mel Gibson as a bekilted William Wallace?

I'm really hoping that at least one of the things I have been advocating for years now is in this expansion...if not then I think it's high time I give up advocating for stuff. I don't think I can do anything more than I already have, and if they don't want to include my ideas then there's nothing I can do about it.
I think the fact that we probably will get a civ from Polynesia feels like a win to me. Sure it might not be Tonga, or Samoa like I wanted, but I wasn't too picky on which one as long as we got on. As for the Maori, it's understandable why they might go for them. They are well known, they will at least have more room to start on a TSL map on New Zealand, and the early ocean crossing ability was already given to Norway and wouldn't necessarily fit them as much as the other Polynesian representatives.

Is it possible for it to be worse than Australian Mel Gibson as a bekilted William Wallace?
Hollywood's answer to "Could this be less historically accurate and more like Game of Thrones in [insert setting here]?" is always yes. :mischief:

Sorry, what's the specific issue with Boudicca?
Better question: What isn't an issue with Boudicca? :p

Some of the highlights: 1) Dreadlocks; 2) "woad" tattoos (presumably not actually woad since woad is caustic and burns your flesh); 3) kilt...thing; 4) speaking Welsh; 5) ruling from Edinburgh; 6) having a Ceilidh UB, "Pictish Warrior" UU, and "Druidism" UA; 7) swinging around a Saxon-style sword (should be a spear). So to answer my rephrasing of your question, the torc is probably accurate enough, and she was reportedly a redhead. The tartan may be an acceptable interpretation of her "green cloak"--but the skimpy pseudo-kilt is not. :p

There is a series on Amazon Prime called Britannia about the Roman invasion of Britain, and it has so many "throw a shoe at the tv" kinds of historical inaccuracies (like, why is the Irish assassin lady toting around a Cho-ku-no?!), but it has Ian Macdiarmid chewing scenery as a Celtic king. And it's just rife with that sort of delicious overacting. So it's a draw. The main female lead reminds me of Civ V Boudicca.
Started watching that, couldn't bring myself to finish it. It's just so bad it's depressing.

Better question: What isn't an issue with Boudicca? :p

Some of the highlights: 1) Dreadlocks; 2) "woad" tattoos (presumably not actually woad since woad is caustic and burns your flesh); 3) kilt...thing; 4) speaking Welsh; 5) ruling from Edinburgh; 6) having a Ceilidh UB, "Pictish Warrior" UU, and "Druidism" UA; 7) swinging around a Saxon-style sword (should be a spear). So to answer my rephrasing of your question, the torc is probably accurate enough, and she was reportedly a redhead. The tartan may be an acceptable interpretation of her "green cloak"--but the skimpy pseudo-kilt is not. :p

Did she have dreadlocks? I thought those were braids.

And also the kilt... well. Let's just say that was no kilt at all.

I think the physical despiction wasn't that bad actually. The rest was.

So glad I stopped when I did.

I was gonna give up after Pelinor died, but it's like each episode dares you to see how bad the next one is. I loved Pelinor though. And the foul-mouthed queen of the other Celts who is played by the Broom Instructor from Harry Potter.

Moderator Action: okay let's get back on topic

I think the fact that we probably will get a civ from Polynesia feels like a win to me. Sure it might not be Tonga, or Samoa like I wanted, but I wasn't too picky on which one as long as we got on. As for the Maori, it's understandable why they might go for them. They are well known, they will at least have more room to start on a TSL map on New Zealand, and the early ocean crossing ability was already given to Norway and wouldn't necessarily fit them as much as the other Polynesian representatives.
This is a big deal for me, as it was the one civ I wanted the most from the start, and therefore I had specific ideas in mind for them. Actually, I remember advocating for Polynesia before we got them in Civ V, so that really felt like a huge win...not only did we get Polynesia, but they were so cool and niche, and I ended up playing them more than any other civ. I just couldn't get enough of them and their unique ability. Granted, Norway does have a similar ability, but it still doesn't quite go in the direction that I had wanted, and isn't exactly the same as Polynesia's wayfinding ability, leaving room to still have that in the game. The goal this time was really to improve upon that existing wayfinding ability, and to really get them focused on being able to colonize and even thrive on small islands in the ocean...just like the real life Polynesia.
Adding the Maori instead of Tonga or Samoa (as opposed to with), it feels like I'm getting what I asked for but not the way I wanted it, which really defeats the purpose. Now I would be very happy to see the Maori in addition to Tonga or Samoa, but I it would be very disappointing for me to get the Maori without Tonga or Samoa (no disrespect to the Maori intended...this is purely about game mechanics and what I logically can expect from a Maori civ verses a Tongan or Samoan civ...just wanted to clarify that). I really want that niche civ that I've dreamed about from the beginning, and I don't feel the need to see yet another militaristic focused civ that isn't all that niche.
Perhaps I am wrong however, and maybe they have added the Maori with the mechanics and focus that I would like, and ignored much about Maori history. I'm holding my breath to see what abilities they have granted this new civ, but preparing myself for likely disappointment...Maybe it's not fair to judge until I see it all, but tell me, how likely is it that they will add the Maori and not make them military focused, and make them specialize at colonizing tiny islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom